Tweedy - Sukierae

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's almost like this song is a sampler. There are parts I like more than others and there certainly isn't much of an overall flow, but it's exciting to me to hear the variety of styles they're trying out. In the parts where he's singing "I'll sing it to you, I'll sing it to you" it sounds a bit like Leave Me Where You Found Me.

From Googling 'Sukierae' just as a way of getting any recent news, this came up in the search results, which seems to confirm the 'Sue' part that I don't remember being explicit in the press release:-

sukierae's Profile • Instagram

instagram.com/sukierae

13 photos; 111 followers; 242 following. Follow. Susie Tweedy. This user is private You need to be following sukierae to like or comment.

Can't get to places such as Instagram from work, but I imagine there would not be much point if it's private anyway.

It's OK.  I don't usually respond all that strongly to a single, until I hear it in the context of an album.  I didn't love "Hey Chicken", or "I Might" until I heard them next to other songs.

The production is definitely cool.

that sludgy archetypal rock riff and the vocals in lower register. After a few listens it's a total ear worm!

I am pleased to hear new material from Jeff in a lower register. I think that is the sweet spot.

Does that riff remind anyone else of a classic tune, possibly even a classic Wilco tune? I can't put my finger on it yet...

I like it, and I'm sure I'll like it even more in the context of the full album. I share the same sentiment as previous comments -- there are Wilco tunes I couldn't fully appreciate until I heard them in sequence with the rest of the record. I'm still just more excited at hearing 20 new songs at once.

I like the song more with each listen. Reminds me a little bit of Elliott Smith musically. Has some solid Tweedy juxtaposition of different types of melodies.

But so beautiful to name it after his true love and muse.

I haven't been in here in a long while so go easy on me, please!

How do you pronounce "Sukierae" and what does it mean/what's the derivation?

I've used all my powers of deduction to come up with this:

Su = Sue = his wife's name.

After that I'm lost.

After that I'm lost.

Rae is her middle name (i.e., srmt=Susan Rae Miller Tweedy). Sukie is a nickname, I guess you could say. And I think it's pronounced pretty much as it looks...SUE-key-ray.

After that I'm lost.

From Wilco's email 2 days ago:

We’ve got the first details on Jeff’s forthcoming album, Sukierae (sue-key-ray), which we will release via dBpm Records on Sept. 16. Technically not a solo album, Sukierae features 20 new songs written by Jeff and performed by father/son team of Jeff and his 18-year-old son and drummer Spencer under the band name TWEEDY.

I love the new single! One of my fave things about Tweedy/Wilco is the incredible level of eclecticism. "I Might" & "Dawned On Me" were just classic perfect pop singles of the highest proportion. This new one comes from a darker & more left field place & it combines being a total ear worm with lots of misty layers of sonic goodness that reveal more & more with repeated listenings. I think it's a bold, & maybe a little unexpected, choice as a first song, & equally interesting that they didn't play it at the first gig too. It reminds me of how interesting it always is to see what song they'll lead off a show with- never predictable...

As a last note it is just too great to be getting a double album's worth of material coming out too!!! It's actually a song, or two (depending on how you count having two versions of "Outtasite (Outta Mind)"/"Outta Mind (Outta Sight)") longer than "Being There". That we're also getting live versions of most of this on the Roadcase shows in July is just another level of terrific.
Then we are also looking at another Loose Fur album, at least down the line some place, and, of course, this Autumn the work on the next Wilco album will presumably be resuming...and on to Solid Sound 2015 (& hopefully another year of all-request benefits at The Vic)!!

Those background vocals are great!

Now to learn all the words before the 24th.

Friend, I was smacking in my gob when I hear Mr Jeff Tweedy employ Lucius lady men for the female double throat. This is big correct step forward in his style for sure! In truth they are too small in the mixture, but it is starting point - big oak tree can make a grow from little a corn on the cob as we say in Sweden.

Welfare!

P.S. You have glitter scarf? I can provide if you make special PM

I am sure that like any music Jeff writes, with a couple of exceptions that serve to prove the rule, even tunes that don't immediately grab me will turn into slow growers. But I am disappointed that he's not playing much lead or electric on this tour. The term "underrated" gets bandied about so much but Jeff really has a distinct approach to lead guitar and I was hoping this would be a platform for more of it. I readily acknowledge Nels' skill but sometimes I'd rather hear Jeff's creativity on that instrument.