Jack White - "Lazaretto"

Jack is assuming, pretty much incorrectly, that most people have totally manual turntables. At least two of these features will not work I don't think unless you have a completely manual turntable, that being the files in the label and the reverse play side. Most turntables turn off when they get to the dead wax at the end of the record so they won't play this stuff.

I have four turntables and all reject when then get to the end of the album. I guess I will spend some time looking at the angels and play the one song and maybe run into someone with a manual turntable someday. Also not all turntables have 78 any more. I have one that only plays 78s, but my others don't.

Load yes - intriguing, also yes.

LouieB

I have four turntables and all reject when then get to the end of the album. I guess I will spend some time looking at the angels and play the one song and maybe run into someone with a manual turntable someday. Also not all turntables have 78 any more. I have one that only plays 78s, but my others don't.

My turntable turns off automatically, but the last Smashing Pumpkins album has a side where the music goes right up to the label. I was concerned that it would kick the needle off before the music ended, but it trucked right on through til the music ended. Now I'm baffeled as to how the tt knows when the album side is finished.

Re: ultra lp.  i find this stuff fascinating and wonder if it really does make the listening experience 'better' or if it's still just mediocre music all dressed up.  i mean, will these 'new' records coming out be classics?  i wonder.  if i had the money, i'd probably bite, but then i don't think any jack white record will hold up in 10 years like a beatles or wilco record will.  so it'll just sit on my shelf.  just some ramblings.

Re: ultra lp.  i find this stuff fascinating and wonder if it really does make the listening experience 'better' or if it's still just mediocre music all dressed up.  i mean, will these 'new' records coming out be classics?  i wonder.  if i had the money, i'd probably bite, but then i don't think any jack white record will hold up in 10 years like a beatles or wilco record will.  so it'll just sit on my shelf.  just some ramblings.

I don't think the ultra LP will really change the listening experience, (but in truth I have not listened to the Ultra LP).  It is a fun thing to have for people who really like vinyl.  Also it is pretty amazing with all of the extra stuff White can keep the Ultra LP at under 30 bucks.  

I actually think Jack Whites music will hold up in 10 years.  And if you look back to ten years ago, The White Stripes Elephant holds up stronger to Wilco's AGIB.  As a body of work the truth is that Jack White will be seen as more influential as Jeff Tweedy and Wilco.  And of this I will guarantee, Jack White/White Stripes will be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, while Jeff Tweedy/Wilco will not.  It doesn't mean I think Jack White is better than Tweedy, it is just the influence White has over music right now in this era.  And I don't know if in 10 years I will listen to Sukierae or Lazaretto, more, but on the public as a whole and music in general Jack White has more influence.    

Who knows, but I can tell you this. The ultra LP will probably end up unplayed on my shelf for 10 years. I dunno, maybe I will crack the cellophane and put it on the turntable to see the angels.

LouieB

And if you look back to ten years ago, The White Stripes Elephant holds up stronger to Wilco's AGIB.

It's purely a matter of opinion but I disagree. A Ghost Is Born sounds better to my ears now than it did 10 years ago.

As a body of work the truth is that Jack White will be seen as more influential as Jeff Tweedy and Wilco. And of this I will guarantee, Jack White/White Stripes will be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, while Jeff Tweedy/Wilco will not. It doesn't mean I think Jack White is better than Tweedy, it is just the influence White has over music right now in this era. And I don't know if in 10 years I will listen to Sukierae or Lazaretto, more, but on the public as a whole and music in general Jack White has more influence.

I am a Jack White fan, but I'm curious how wide you see his influence. First and foremost he is a lover and interpreter of blues. I'm not refuting your point, I'd just like to know in what acts you hear/see his influence.

It's purely a matter of opinion but I disagree. A Ghost Is Born sounds better to my ears now than it did 10 years ago.

I am a Jack White fan, but I'm curious how wide you see his influence. First and foremost he is a lover and interpreter of blues. I'm not refuting your point, I'd just like to know in what acts you hear/see his influence.

I am more inclined to listen to Elephant then AGIB.  I don't know why.  I still like AGIB, but when I am flipping through my phone to listen to something, I hit on the White Stripes more than Wilco, but that just might be my frame of mind at this moment.  

When the White Stripes first broke out in 1999 Kurt Cobain had been dead for 5 years, the huge rock acts (Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins) were becoming almost self parodies, really putting out some sub-par albums (PJ's Yield, anyone?).  And the up and new bands, Bush, Dishwalla, Everclear, etc. where just pretty terrible.  And so Jack White brought a DIY Garage Band aesthetic that had been missing with the loss of Kurt Cobain.  But he also brought in a major blues influence.  This had not been heard in popular rock music for decades.  I guess the key is popular music, as I am sure there were main bands doing similar things to the White Stripes at the time (ie the John Spencer Blues Explosion), but the Stripes were able to take their music to the masses.  

As for influences, there are many.  The Black Keys obviously (especially if take Jack White's word for it), The Strokes, the Hives, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Spoon, most of the mid 2000 rock out there.  Now, was it straight up influence, that is debatable.  But without the White Stripes breaking out in 1999 the rock scene of 2005 would look very different.  

I love both artists, but Spoon existed many years before The White Stripes and had two albums out before The White Stripes' debut. I also don't hear much influence between the two.

And Yield is a great album

I love both artists, but Spoon existed many years before The White Stripes and had two albums out before The White Stripes' debut. I also don't hear much influence between the two.

And Yield is a great album

I love me some Spoon.  Spoon, while formed before the Stripes, did not come to prominence until 2002's Kill the Moonlight, or some might argue 2005's Gimme Fiction.  While not a direct influence, without what The White Stripes were doing in 1999 and 2000, there would be no place for Spoon in rock.  

I guess the crux of my argument is this.  Once every one to two decades, rock becomes stale and bloated, and a band comes around and shakes things up.  The Beatles in the 60s, Led Zeppelin in the 70s, The punk movement in 80s, Nirvana in 90's, The White Stripes in 2000's.  This changes rock music.  

While I hate to crap on anyone's musical tastes, the reason I hate Yield, is that I was a big PJ fan from the beginning, like many kids who went to college from '93 to '98.  Yield is just a dreary, lifeless album.  And ultimately forgettable.    

I dunno. I'm an "old school" Pearl Jam fan, and I know plenty others, and I can't think of anyone who doesn't like Yield. Outstanding album that has only gotten better with time. But hey, you like what you like. 

I like the new Jack White 'cause it plays up his musical eccentricities (his personal eccentricities grew tiresome a long time ago). But he still hasn't been particularly interesting since Get Behind Me Satan. The guy is almost 39 after all - nearly every rock-and-roller's best days are long gone at that age. Seems to me White peaked a long time ago and has been playing in the same sandbox for 10 years without replacing the sand. But there's some weird, satisfying stuff on Lazaretto.

Also, it's a stretch to say the Stripes are responsible for the garage revival, since they really didn't break out until 2001. They were part of that whole Detroit scene, but the Hives, Strokes, etc. were doing their own thing before the Stripes took off. A lot of this stuff was going on independently and coalesced around 2001-02.

Both the White Stripes and Wilco are a lock for the HOF. After Radiohead is inducted in 2017, the pickings are incredibly slim. I wonder if they will even continue to induct bands. Wilco might not sell out arenas, but they're one of the biggest rock acts of the last twenty years. A testament to the genre's decline in popularity, perhaps, but still.

I think saying that Wilco is a lock is pretty far off. They might make it in after several years of eligibility, but no way are they the "no brainer" category, that some bands that have yet to be inducted are in.