Jack White - "Lazaretto"

Also, it's a stretch to say the Stripes are responsible for the garage revival, since they really didn't break out until 2001. They were part of that whole Detroit scene, but the Hives, Strokes, etc. were doing their own thing before the Stripes took off. A lot of this stuff was going on independently and coalesced around 2001-02.

while yes, alot of the Detroit garage sound all coalesced in the early '00s, no other band was as big or garnered the attention that the White Stripes did.  Nor has any Detroit garage era band has had the success that the Stripes and subsequently Jack White has had.  And without that attention, no person would have cared about any other band with that same sound.  Now, does that constitute influence, or creation of a sound?  No.  But the influence that Jack White has had on music as a whole cannot be denied.  

Ignoring what the Stripes did in the early 00's, is like ignoring what Led Zeppelin did in the early 70's because Atomic Rooster was doing a similar sound at the same time.  

Tweedy seems to like attention but not the large spotlight and “act” that usually comes with being a music performer. Kinda similar to Bob Dylan.

White seems to relish the showmanship. With the White Stripes, he was brilliant at creating more than just a duo that plays punk rock. They had a mystery and excitement. Anytime I’ve seen White on stage, whether with the Stripes, Raconteurs, Dead Weather or solo, you can’t take your eyes off him. He’s a truly great performer. His and Tweedy’s music-writing skill can be debated and it’s mostly subjective, but there’s no doubt who sells their music better and who can create more buzz. Heck, snippets of Jack White’s newest single Lazaretto is being played during segments of the World Cup. 

I think White HAS had the bigger influence on the music world the last 15 years. The White Stripes are locks for the Hall of Fame. Wilco isn't. But making the Hall isn't everything (I'd argue it isn't much of anything). Personally, I think the period of Wilco’s music from Being There to YHF was really special, and I think Bennett’s existence helped that fairly significantly. Being There to Mermaid to Summerteeth to YHF Demos to YHF was a seriously impressive run musically.

I think Tweedy is every bit the great music artist that White is, but White has more charisma, a dynamic voice and still has some electricity in his music. Tweedy, 7 years older, sounds more laid back, reflective and mellow. His mostly dead-pan delivery doesn’t offer a lot of vocal variation, making his newest creations sound more like carefully-worded poetry to music than songs. (I’ve only heard the live recordings).

Another artist I like, Richard Buckner, has ZERO chance of making the Hall and not many people know him. But I think he’s every bit the music artist that White and Tweedy are. I could rate White and Tweedy and Buckner to my personal taste (White would likely be on top), but mostly am just glad they all are around to listen to.

How did Richard Buckner get into this convo. The guy isn't even on the radar anymore.

LouieB

I'd say Buckner's never really been on the radar. But that's never stopped me loving most of his musical output. "Surrounded", released last year, is one of his better records. Buckner's touring all over, playing intimate living room shows along with scattered electric shows. 

Back to Jack White, it's impressive how good a job he does keeping his name ON the radar. Yeah, he's a good promoter and some would say gimmicky, but he also consistently releases good music. If anybody is following the World Cup it's impossible to not get heavy doses of Jack White, from crowds chanting the 7 Nation Army riff to hearing High Ball Stepper or Black Cat Licorice on pre-game show fadeouts and ESPN World Cup ads.

• 3 weeks later...