It's now officially summer, and the only Wilco on the calendar for the rest of the year remains their two appearances at Lockn' Festival the first weekend in September.  It's been mentioned before, but I'm now beginning to think it's very strange that these are the only two Wilco dates, as if they're dropping in from another planet just for this festival.  Even more so with today's announcement of Tweedy's European tour in November with tickets on sale this Friday.  Looking more and more to me that there will be no other Wilco in the fall other than Lockn'.    Maybe even for the rest of the year.  They must be getting paid well to show up in Virginia.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that the last date on the European tour is November 15, and knowing how the band usually doesn't tour over the holidays, I suspect Lockn' will indeed be the only 2014 Wilco appearance. I suppose they could announce something for the first half of December, but it sure is looking unlikely.

Tickets still available for Lockn'. :yes

Given that the last date on the European tour is November 15, and knowing how the band usually doesn't tour over the holidays, I suspect Lockn' will indeed be the only 2014 Wilco appearance. I suppose they could announce something for the first half of December, but it sure is looking unlikely.

Tickets still available for Lockn'. :yes

Lockn' has posted that theirs will be Wilco's only 2014 "festival" performance.  Sure looks like it will be the only 2014 Wilco performance of any kind.

Personally I'm hoping for a couple of shows before and a couple of shows after Lock'n. Unfortunately they'll probably need to be announced soon if they're happening.

Hopefully they're just waiting for the last thousand or so tickets for Lockn to sell out and then they'll announce two shows at Tangelwood, two shows in Atlanta or Charlotte and then two in Chicago. Boom. Mini-tour, crying averted.

Personally I'm hoping for a couple of shows before and a couple of shows after Lock'n. Unfortunately they'll probably need to be announced soon if they're happening.

Hopefully they're just waiting for the last thousand or so tickets for Lockn to sell out and then they'll announce two shows at Tangelwood, two shows in Atlanta or Charlotte and then two in Chicago. Boom. Mini-tour, crying averted.

Not to rain on the parade, or cause a crying fit, but I seriously doubt they'd be holding off on announcing other shows based on Lockn' ticket sales.  They're not even a headliner there, and all the headliners have other shows announced all over the place.

Won't they be kind of rusty for the festival? Unless they just play songs they all know like the backs of their hands, like Jesus etc and California Stars.

I foresee bitching about the setlist in the After the Show thread. :lol

Those, and

Heavy Metal Drummer

I'm the Man Who Loves You

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

Shot in the Arm

Impossible Germany

The Late Greats

Or they finally bring W(TA) back into the fold and just play the album in its entirety.

Those, and

Heavy Metal Drummer

Shot in the Arm

Impossible Germany

The Late Greats

That actually looks like a pretty great setlist. Add in a few of the tunes that Jeff has been playing on tour (Via Chicago, Passenger Side, Give Back the Key to My Heart) and I'd be satisfied!

Ain't nobody gonna be bitching about the setlist over in this corner. It's been so long since I've seen the boys all together on the same stage that I'll be grinning from ear to ear no matter what they play. And rusty? Impossible! More likely fresh and newly inspired.

Ain't nobody gonna be bitching about the setlist over in this corner. It's been so long since I've seen the boys all together on the same stage that I'll be grinning from ear to ear no matter what they play. And rusty? Impossible! More likely fresh and newly inspired.

Bitching about a Wilco setlist?  Not me. I see 1-2 Wilco shows/year, how could I complain about the setlists?  But the rustiness factor does concern me.  I always feel like a band is best when you catch them about 5-10 shows into a tour.  And this will be the first Wilco shows since when, Solid Sound?  I'll be ready to see them at Lockn', I hope they'll be ready to play.

Those, and

Heavy Metal Drummer

Shot in the Arm

Impossible Germany

The Late Greats

Or they finally bring W(TA) back into the fold and just play the album in its entirety.

At least that's what you said....

Bitching about a Wilco setlist?  Not me. I see 1-2 Wilco shows/year, how could I complain about the setlists?  But the rustiness factor does concern me.  I always feel like a band is best when you catch them about 5-10 shows into a tour.  And this will be the first Wilco shows since when, Solid Sound?  I'll be ready to see them at Lockn', I hope they'll be ready to play.

After Solid Sound they had the whole Americanarama tour and Austin City Limits with that awesome Stubbs show, I don't think they had shows since then though.

I'm more then ready for Lockin', I don't care if they play the standard Whole Love set list both nights, I just want me some Wilco!

After Solid Sound they had the whole Americanarama tour and Austin City Limits with that awesome Stubbs show, I don't think they had shows since then though.

I'm more then ready for Lockin', I don't care if they play the standard Whole Love set list both nights, I just want me some Wilco!

Yes, I totally spaced on the Americanarama tour. I'm assuming we'll get 2 substantially different sets at Lockn, but I 'll be so happy to see Wilco again I won't care what they do. And with Weir's collaborations with Wilco and Nels' sit -ins with Phil, the possibilities for special shows are endless!

That actually looks like a pretty great setlist. Add in a few of the tunes that Jeff has been playing on tour (Via Chicago, Passenger Side, Give Back the Key to My Heart) and I'd be satisfied!

You know, after I typed it out and imagined the sequence of songs in my head, I agree. 

Wilco fans can't really complain about lack of shows...

Meanwhile, there could very well be new album progress going on behind the scenes in the weeks between side-project outings this year.

Thats another item that is somewhat concerning, in that, if everyone's out touring with various other entitties when do they have time to get together to record new Wilco music?

Lock'n might actually be a barometer of where they're at with new Wilco tunes. If they crank out 4 or 5 new songs that'd indicate decent progress on a new album.

Its cool that they're off doing their own things but its a similar situation to my not wanting a plate of ground beef one week, some lettuce and tomato a few weeks later, and a slice of cheese and a bun a month after that. It works and tastes so much better as a cheeseburger. And right now i'm ALMOST as sad about going a year without Wilco as I would be about going a year without a cheeseburger.

Lock'n might actually be a barometer of where they're at with new Wilco tunes. If they crank out 4 or 5 new songs that'd indicate decent progress on a new album.

Tweedy made some comments a while before the Whole Love came out, that they'd lost interest in debuting songs before they come out on a record.  Apparently they got a live groove going with some of the SBS stuff that they felt they couldn't capture with the same energy in the studio after kicking the songs around live.

I suspect it will be a barometer of whther they will continue to exist as a band.  I also suspect it's a contractual agreement from before the hiatus. I also suspect the hiatus is a result of failed attempts at recording sessions (as multiple sources claimed there was work being done on a new Wilco record to be released in 2014) I also suspect that there may be a lineup change. i also suspect the lineup change may incorporate someone from TWEEDY.