Well, that's a sad way of looking at things.  I do know there are plenty of weeks in August and September where none of these various side projects and solo acts are performing.  Maybe they'll be regathering for recording.

Nothing lasts forever.  And I could be wrong, it just seems that's one way to connect the dots to form a picture.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tweedy made some comments a while before the Whole Love came out, that they'd lost interest in debuting songs before they come out on a record.  Apparently they got a live groove going with some of the SBS stuff that they felt they couldn't capture with the same energy in the studio after kicking the songs around live.

That's interesting. The live recordings from 2002-03 are chock-full of AGIB songs-in-progress, and they kick ass. And they kick ass on record. Wonder how the stage-to-studio crossover got lost for the follow-up...

Nothing lasts forever.  And I could be wrong, it just seems that's one way to connect the dots to form a picture

I see it more like this, while in the middle of working on the new Wilco record the love of Jeff's life got seriously ill, he is seeing things through a different light right now and thought it would be fun to work with his son during this deeply emotional time.  I'm sure there is a little bit of a "I'm glad your mom gets to see this happen" going on.

I see it more like this, while in the middle of working on the new Wilco record the love of Jeff's life got seriously ill, he is seeing things through a different light right now and thought it would be fun to work with his son during this deeply emotional time.  I'm sure there is a little bit of a "I'm glad your mom gets to see this happen" going on.

i agree with that. they're still playing, but not as previously. i wasnt too big on AGIB when i came out, but it was different. a few side projects cant be too bad?

You might be right, And (though it sucks that Sue is seriously ill) I maybe even hope you are

I still love the band and Tweedy as a musician, but I'd be open to a change. He does seem to reinvent himself every so often...

My wife is an interesting barometer. She saw Uncle Tupelo during college and was a big fan of Wilco through the 90s and early 2000s (she introduced me to Wilco / Tweedy et al). She actually likes the current lineup the least of any. Her reasoning is that many of the songs have become so spaced out - but show to show each version is nearly identical.

I would be open to a change too. Specifically, I think Nels has been a poor fit. He's an extremely talented musician and I always enjoy his other albums, but I just don't think his strengths mesh well with Jeff's.

Interesting notions regarding the end of Wilco as we know it. I didn't see TWEEDY and the concurrent projects as pointing to that, but I see the reasoning. I've followed Jeff Tweedy from Uncle Tupelo through all the Wilco incarnations. It's clear to me that it's Tweedy I like, so what ever happens, I expect music that I enjoy. I agree about John staying. I'd add Glenn, too.

Interesting notions regarding the end of Wilco as we know it. I didn't see TWEEDY and the concurrent projects as pointing to that, but I see the reasoning. I've followed Jeff Tweedy from Uncle Tupelo through all the Wilco incarnations. It's clear to me that it's Tweedy I like, so what ever happens, I expect music that I enjoy. I agree about John staying. I'd add Glenn, too.

You know, you've pretty much summed up my feelings. Including who I'd most prefer to stay attached to the band. The only thing I'm considering--and this sounds like blasphemy--but is it possible that Spencer could evolve into a satisfying replacement for Glenn, if that should happen? Honestly, that kid has chops. Of course, he doesn't have Glenn's depth of experience yet, but I honestly think he's the real deal and we'll later be saying "I saw him back when"

You know, you've pretty much summed up my feelings. Including who I'd most prefer to stay attached to the band. The only thing I'm considering--and this sounds like blasphemy--but is it possible that Spencer could evolve into a satisfying replacement for Glenn, if that should happen? Honestly, that kid has chops. Of course, he doesn't have Glenn's depth of experience yet, but I honestly think he's the real deal and we'll later be saying "I saw him back when"

I guess it's hypothetically possible, but in 2014 I can't believe people would talk about Glenn and Spencer in the same sentence. Glenn is one of my 2 favorite drummers in all of rock. That status doesn't come easy in my book. I've seen Spencer perform 1x, on a webcast to boot, so I'm no expert on him, but still.

I guess it's hypothetically possible, but in 2014 I can't believe people would talk about Glenn and Spencer in the same sentence. Glenn is one of my 2 favorite drummers in all of rock. That status doesn't come easy in my book. I've seen Spencer perform 1x, on a webcast to boot, so I'm no expert on him, but still.

I hear you. I certainly didn't mean to imply that Spencer is in a league with Glenn yet. I imagine that he'd find that laughable too. But I do think he has the ability and the instinct to develop to that level. Whether he has the the determination and the desire to do so are open questions. He hasn't even gone to college yet!

I would be open to a change too. Specifically, I think Nels has been a poor fit. He's an extremely talented musician and I always enjoy his other albums, but I just don't think his strengths mesh well with Jeff's.

i agree with this.  i'd like to see the band bring a more exploratory player rather than avant-garde.  Someone like Tom Verlaine or Adrian Belew.  Or, maybe just a straight ahead kick ass rock player like joe walsh.  

That being said, I think the band is just taking a well-deserved break.  They've hit it pretty hard for years.  They are also slowing down.  Everyone has families, not to mention Tweedy's current situation.  So there you go.

Relax. They do have Solid Sound scheduled for next year, right? I would hope for a new album and/or live material to appear around that time. And a tour.

That's true.  2015 will probably be a big wilco year.  Also, if there was to be a change, I'd love to see the Loose Fur lineup with John added in on bass.  That would kill!

• 1 month later...

Wilco working on demos later this week according to a report in German Musik Express, also a further project with Jess Wolfe and Holly Laessig.

http://www.musikexpress.de/news/meldungen/article623994/wilco-arbeiten-an-neuen-songs.html

Translated from the German by Google:-

On September 23 SUKIERAE appears from Tweedy, the new band of Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy and his 18-year-old son Spencer. Even before the plate has been published, Jeff already saying that he wants to work with Wilco on new songs: "We will begin later this week, recording demos," he says in an interview with Music Express "We already have many hours of improvised. recorded material, rather noisiges stuff. "

In addition, Tweedy has taken songs with Jess Wolfe and Holly Laessig for a joint project. The two singers of the New York indie band Lucius can also be heard on SUKIERAE. "I have seen the two live a while ago and found it great. Last year I did it to our festival (Solid Sound Festival The host, the Wilco annually since 2010 -. Note) invited.  I can work great with them. "

Wilco's current, eighth album THE WHOLE LOVE released in September 2011 a release date for the new recordings has Tweedy not disclosed.

The full interview with Jeff Tweedy can be found in the October issue of Music Express, on 11 September 2014 at the kiosk and the App Store.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah but then 2014 is an outlier of a dozen year stretch... there are plenty of bands that i like who only kick into the touring grind every 3-4 years, and it's not a given that they'll play Boston.

Total agreement... I'm talking a wait & see with fingers crossed for Solid Sound / I also think when the next one is Boston is knocked out from a show. ( but not CT ) on the other hand we got Tweedy at Berklee / Not too Shabby!!