• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I lived in southern Ohio I'd be going to five shows on this tour.

Unless they're all 96 dollars each like that Port Chester show.

Raleigh is 40-55. Most of them are in this range or a little higher. Port Chester must be an expensive theater to book. When has Wilco ever screwed us over?

Anybody know anything about the Raleigh venue? The box office is closed for today and it's probably not going to open before 10 AM tomorrow when the presale starts. When I go on their website it looks like the venue is primarily GA except for some reserved seats a few rows back. They're probably good seats but I would always prefer to be in the pit. So basically I'm wondering if I need to get myself into a big lather trying to get great seats first thing in the morning when I would prefer the GA section anyway. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Don't have advice, but I just looked at the gallery on the website and saw it's an outdoor amphitheater, with only the stage covered. Big area in front of stage, which website says "will be open for dancing." Cute.

I'm trying to make this happen, too -- but I hate how they announce shows the day before the presale, creating an anxious scramble! Glad to know it's basically a GA show. Looks kinda small, too. Fingers crossed for stars aligning to see Wilco in 2014!!

I'm unlikely to buy a greatest-hits collection either, but if it serves as an entry point for new fans, great.  If packaged well, it might get new folks interested in the band.

This is the correct view on this.  If you're on a Wilco message board, a Best Of collection isn't for you.  Why would it bother you that it's being released to bring new fans into the fold.  There were countless classic rock artists I discovered through their Greatest Hits and often waited years before exploring their other stuff.

As for the shows, I would love to celebrate Wilco's 20 anniversary with them on my 20th wedding anniversary at the Ryman on 10/22.  Unfortunately, lack of funds and wife's interest in Wilco make this very unlikely.  

I sort of like that they announce the gigs the day before the pre-sale.

Can be tricky/anxiety-provoking to make a snap decision when it involves travel, time off, babysitters, making sure friends can come, etc. First world problems. :) But all is well-- looks like I'm going to Raleigh! And hopefully you will be the lucky girl who gets to see Wilco at the Ryman yet again!

its like LITERALLY a shed and we were able to walk down right when the show started and sit/stand right in front of Jeff and there was TONS of room.
You really couldn't get closer to the band anywhere than this place. Im having trouble posting pics but look up pictures on google and then imagine that down front area full with ZERO security or anything. It is EPIQUE or at least the Jeff show was.

its like LITERALLY a shed and we were able to walk down right when the show started and sit/stand right in front of Jeff and there was TONS of room.

You really couldn't get closer to the band anywhere than this place. Im having trouble posting pics but look up pictures on google and then imagine that down front area full with ZERO security or anything. It is EPIQUE or at least the Jeff show was.

If you had GA Lawn tix could you still go up front?

This is the correct view on this. If you're on a Wilco message board, a Best Of collection isn't for you. Why would it bother you that it's being released to bring new fans into the fold. There were countless classic rock artists I discovered through their Greatest Hits and often waited years before exploring their other stuff.

As for the shows, I would love to celebrate Wilco's 20 anniversary with them on my 20th wedding anniversary at the Ryman on 10/22. Unfortunately, lack of funds and wife's interest in Wilco make this very unlikely.

It's a different time now. With iTunes and Spotify and pandora, there is no need or market for a greatest hits collection. The only people who would purchase one are completist fans. That's why the whole idea of one rubs me the wrong way.

Can be tricky/anxiety-provoking to make a snap decision when it involves travel, time off, babysitters, making sure friends can come, etc. First world problems. :) But all is well-- looks like I'm going to Raleigh! And hopefully you will be the lucky girl who gets to see Wilco at the Ryman yet again!

That is true. I already got my days covered at work, and my husband put in for vacation time, so now all we need are the tickets. I hope luck is on every VC'ers side tomorrow morning. 

It's a different time now. With iTunes and Spotify and pandora, there is no need or market for a greatest hits collection. The only people who would purchase one are completist fans. That's why the whole idea of one rubs me the wrong way.

There are people who still buy the "Now That's What I Call Music" series.  Greatest Hits are still as viable. If completist fans feel compelled to buy because they can't have a gap in their CD collection, then that's their problem.  If they throw one or two new things on it to try to hook you in, well that's where iTunes, Spotify, etc. come into play.

"Box set of rarities", separate form "best-of" is how they explained it, which is a good sign.  I'm excited/afraid of disappointment.  Part of the burden of being a super-fan (dork?), is that we tend to unearth so many things already.  I have a playlist of 18 songs on my ipod that are just B-sides, deluxe edition EP material, alternate versions.  Pretty much the 'Australian EP' from YHF, the Wilco book stuff from AGIB, the soundtrack and bonus stuff from SBS and the bonus EP stuff from the deluxe edition of TWL.  There are a few soundtracks and randoms sprinkled in there.

All of this stuff could be rightfully slapped on a disc because it makes a very good hour and a half of music.  People should hear it.  Many of the VC'ers already have it, so we can't help but hope for all of those hundreds of other tracks one of the Wilco guys mentions in an interview.  I'm sure plenty of them are incomplete jams, but you have to figure there are still at least a dozen (or more) structured songs worth hearing that haven't ever left the Loft.

"Box set of rarities", separate form "best-of" is how they explained it, which is a good sign.  I'm excited/afraid of disappointment.  Part of the burden of being a super-fan (dork?), is that we tend to unearth so many things already.  I have a playlist of 18 songs on my ipod that are just B-sides, deluxe edition EP material, alternate versions.  Pretty much the 'Australian EP' from YHF, the Wilco book stuff from AGIB, the soundtrack and bonus stuff from SBS and the bonus EP stuff from the deluxe edition of TWL.  There are a few soundtracks and randoms sprinkled in there.

All of this stuff could be rightfully slapped on a disc because it makes a very good hour and a half of music.  People should hear it.  Many of the VC'ers already have it, so we can't help but hope for all of those hundreds of other tracks one of the Wilco guys mentions in an interview.  I'm sure plenty of them are incomplete jams, but you have to figure there are still at least a dozen (or more) structured songs worth hearing that haven't ever left the Loft.

Ah, here's hoping that the box includes a version of "Venus..." if only so that it may be entered into the live (probably Jeff solo) songbook. Guessing that might be asking for too much though...what with the song history.

Speaking of asking for too much, I love it when these rarities boxes include alternative studio takes on songs and not just the b-sides. With a band like Wilco, who love to deconstruct songs and radically change them around, I think that could lead to some really interesting results. Not so much a fan of when live versions of album tracks are included in rarities sets, but that's neither here nor there. Echoing what everyone else is saying that this is an unexpected surprise with no downside for anyone.

Ah, here's hoping that the box includes a version of "Venus..." if only so that it may be entered into the live (probably Jeff solo) songbook. Guessing that might be asking for too much though...what with the song history.

Speaking of asking for too much, I love it when these rarities boxes include alternative studio takes on songs and not just the b-sides. With a band like Wilco, who love to deconstruct songs and radically change them around, I think that could lead to some really interesting results. Not so much a fan of when live versions of album tracks are included in rarities sets, but that's neither here nor there. Echoing what everyone else is saying that this is an unexpected surprise with no downside for anyone.

There already are perfectly clean versions of "Venus Stop the Train" out there, you know...on the YHF demos, which also features many deconstructed and alternate takes of songs.

When I saw Jay Bennett solo he played Venus and My Darling which I was glad to hear

My friend & I both tried & got shut out for everything. Once again I must say that I really hate Front Gate Tickets...

I got one GA for the first night.

They still show tickets available but you can't purchase them...also it took me to the second screen to "purchase" repeatedly, & then sent me back...it also logged me out, for no reason, more than once...the same crap was happening to my friend...I'm still on there trying for anything, but what a stinkin' mess these guys are...

Did I mention that I hate Front Gate Tickets ;)