TWEEDY — 6/24/14, Nashville, TN (Ryman Auditorium)

I always read this stuff, but don't chime in because I have nothing interesting to add.  But it doesn't mean I don't love and appreciate all the little details!  Thanks, Paul, for giving us our fix.

ditto & many thanks from me as well

OK, I am an official lurker, but I really do enjoy the posts. To re-emphasize what was said earlier, I just do not have that much to add.

Except now, I was at the Ryman. There was a funny episode that may have been missed by many because Jeff was not right up to the microphone when he said this. When a couple returned to their seats in the 2nd row, almost dead center, Jeff told them 'Welcome back. Missed you.' Sadly, I audibly (and accidentally) cackled out loud at that one!

Nashville by and large is a very respectful crowd. When Jeff talked about 1000 guitar payers he was recognizing a bunch of people who play guitar for a living. The Theologians deal at the end was not from the crowd in front of him. I was there and there was a ten year old right in front of me and it was very tame and quiet. Great show and one of Jeff's bests performances that I have seen. He just kept coming with more songs and nailed  them all. Best moment of the night was when he and Spencer hugged before the Acuff-Rose. 

Hi guys! Just now getting around to reading this thread- I tried to reply on my phone after the show, but somewhere along the way my response got lost- damn technology. 

Anyway, this was only my 2nd time seeing a Jeff Tweedy solo show, and my husband's first time, so we went it with high hopes, and they hopes we had were exceeded by leaps and bounds. The new material was really stunning, though I did cheat a little and listen to the Mountain Jam recording, the presentation in Nashville was everything I hoped it would be. Really great stuff, and even more excited now to hear the record. We were seated right in front of Darin and he was great to watch. A very different type of player from John that's for sure-- I could definitely hear his more "experimental flourishes through out the night. I know nothing about the other 2 guys that were in the band. They were great though, that's really all I can say, and Spencer was a great drummer. Also, Spencer was a really sweet kid, too. After the gig we waited by the stage door and he actually asked us if we wanted him to take our "Diamond Light" single and hatch show print on the bus for Jeff to sign. It was so nice of him to do that. 

FWIW, I gave it my all during "Someday Soon". :lol

I will say that during "Via Chicago" it wasn't a complete mic drop. Just in the main speakers- the monitors up front still had vocals and the wedges did too I'm guessing. We could still hear Jeff just fine, but we were right next to one of the stage front monitors- it made for a very intimate performance I guess, maybe we could classify it as "half w/o PA" or "semi-PA"? 

One other interesting thing- on the way in the manager guy that was at the bag check informed us that Jeff would only be doing a 90 minute set and that the curfew was 10pm. I was skeptical of his claim, and SO glad he was wrong. I dunno what that was about... 

• 3 weeks later...

Soooooooooooo glad that WXRT ended up broadcasting this show (in place of the cancelled Taste Of Chicago gig), as it's totally amazing.
And thanks again to Col. Hapablap for capturing it & sharing the show. 14 new songs (out of the forthcoming 20) & amazing performances of them as well.

*In finally introducing the band (and specifically, Spencer) before California Stars, Jeff told a story about how he was eating dinner with his family once and he and his wife were bickering and Spencer looked around and said, "How come I sometimes feel like I'm the only mature one at this table?" And both Jeff and Susan said, at the exact same time, "Because you are." Then Jeff said, "You want to know why? Because you had better parents than we did!" Haha.

Guess I've got a new favorite Jeff banter bit.