Is it taboo to ask about Speedracer

Oh, I was not accusing you of apathy. "Bystander apathy" (or bystander effect) is an entirely different thing altogether, and is about how groups behave and not about any individual. More here: http://lesswrong.com/lw/9j/bystander_apathy/

I made a reference to this phenomenon primarily to justify my own proclivity for not minding my own business where people I like are concerned.

OK then.  That is a common phenomenon which  I'm certain I've been guilty of participating in at times, but in this case (not that you're accusing me of anything ) I thought she left voluntarily.  I had no idea she was banned.  I had no idea Jules was banned, either.   While I am curious what their exact actions were that got them banned, I don't feel like it's my right to know.  I would expect to be told "forum rules were broken" but nothing more specific than that.   I was equating "my business" with what I am entitled to know.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I am curious what their exact actions were that got them banned, I don't feel like it's my right to know. I would expect to be told "forum rules were broken" but nothing more specific than that. I was equating "my business" with what I am entitled to know.

Duly noted!

But on the other hand, I would want to find out even if it was the SCOTUS that had banned someone I have a good opinion of. (I'm not altruistic -- I wouldn't care as much if it was someone I did not miss.) I question authority when I can because it is one of my luxuries of becoming a naturalized American.

Free to be you and me. :-)

All I know about the moderation situation is that banning doesn't come as a surprise to the banned.

I know Kidsmoke warned the shit out of me a couple of times and I decided to change my behavior. Choices are made and one either accommodates their position and actions or they don't.

I'm also a huge fan of Kidsmoke and have had a reassuring private convo with her. Yes. This board is good.

I love the Wilco community, and still dream of a permanent Solid Sound village/commune where we print our own Wilcurrwncy, grow our own food, and homeschool our children.

Gosh, I always make sure to make it my business when someone who has done me a kindness disappears from a community. Bystander apathy is a terrible thing.

Hear, hear. I liked this place a lot better when it was freewheeling and not so much an attempt at Utopian Internet Message-Board making.

All I know about the moderation situation is that banning doesn't come as a surprise to the banned.

I know Kidsmoke warned the shit out of me a couple of times and I decided to change my behavior. Choices are made and one either accommodates their position and actions or they don't.

And I do so miss your virtual brawling with Speedracer.  Aaahh, the good old days...

ction claims that he never received a warning.

Can't speak for ction...but I was read the riot act at least twice. And I imagine that my standing around here is less that that of ction.

haha nice thread.
Im like Cornbread Crow and have been set straight by the moderators numerous times :)

Im trying to act better but the older I get the tougher it seems. Actually I think they are way more lax than they used to be or Ive just been staying within bounds.

They used to get mad at me all the time for having "vague" thread titles where I would do my own little try at click baiting. Thread titles would be like "Is this good?" or "Does this suck?" etc.............Anyway I don't know why they hated it so much but I had to quit that.

Oh and I would open separate threads for already existing topics. I wonder if the explosion of space on the interweb has made that not such a crime anymore??

They used to get mad at me all the time for having "vague" thread titles where I would do my own little try at click baiting. Thread titles would be like "Is this good?" or "Does this suck?" etc.............Anyway I don't know why they hated it so much but I had to quit that.

Oh and I would open separate threads for already existing topics. I wonder if the explosion of space on the interweb has made that not such a crime anymore??

So good to hear stories of effective moderation.