Listening to it now. Hell yeah.

I really like it when Jeff tries something really challenging...not that I don't love California Stars or Passenger Side, etc., but I would rather see him go for broke and fail than play it safe. In this case, I think it's successful. However, I would like to hear live versions more than this studio one, I think. He's got such a cool voice, I am not all that thrilled to hear it that heavily processed.

Wonder if playing Tomorrow Never Knows on the Dylan tour had any part in the germination of that song.

As I have said, love the fact that there's this and folky songs on the same release.

I have to say I was a bit surprised that Diamond Light Pt. 1 made it onto the record, just because it seemed so different musically than most of the other songs (although lyrically, I see now that it's of a piece with the other Sukierae material). At any rate, I see your point about variety. It's intense live, definitely, though I thought it maybe worked better when they were playing it as an encore in the "early days." :thumbup

I'll be interested to see whether Wilco plays many of the songs from Sukierae at Lockn' in a couple of months. Diamond Light is one of the prime candidates for the full Wilco treatment, I would think. There's a lot of space on that song for improvisation, and the crowd at Lockn' would probably be very receptive. 

IIRC, Wilco recorded Not for the Season before Loose Fur recorded Laminated Cat, so even though it's not on a proper LP, it is a Wilco song.  I really don't see the point in putting together a band and recording a solo album then playing these songs with Wilco.  So I'll take that bet.

How long do we think the Tweedy band will last, though? Maybe it will become a regular thing, but it also could be essentially a live delivery system for the songs that Jeff and Spencer recorded for Sukierae. So if the band doesn't become an ongoing concern, why would Jeff just abandon so many strong songs? Some of them seem perfect for Wilco, like Diamond Light, World Away and Low Key. 

As I said before, who knows, but IF the band doesn't stay together, I just can't imagine that the songs would not be played again other than at solo shows.

Quite a few, of course. But one big difference is that those songs are more than 20 years old and even though there are some great ones, they're in a rootsier style that may not play to the strengths of Wilco, as currently constituted. Whereas the new songs are, well, new. And some of them seem like a perfect fit for Wilco.

It's all idle speculation at this point anyway.