Tweedy @ Newport Folk Fest - July 27, 2014

Running out of juice on my phone, so I'll have to put off a fuller report until I get home but for now I'll just say that two moments I'll remember from the TWEEDY set were a) Darin's big leap during Only The Lord Knows that genuinely scared the crap out of Mavis and B) the sun coming out for maybe the first time all day at just the perfect moment in California Stars.

Anyway, for now, here was the complete setlist as played:

Diamond Light, Pt. 1*
Flowering*
Summer Noon*
Honey Combed*#
Hazel*
World Away*
New Moon*#
High As Hello*#
Low Key*#
Fake Fur Coat&
I Am Trying To Break Your Heart^
New Madrid^
Please Tell My Brother^
Jesus, etc.^#
Wrote A Song For Everyone [Creedence Clearwater Revival]*!
Only The Lord Knows*!
California Stars*

* — w/full TWEEDY band
& — w/guitarist Jim Elkington only
# — w/Jess Wolfe and Holly Laessig of Lucius on backing vocals
! — w/Mavis Staples on vocals and Lucius on backing vox
^ — Jeff solo acoustic

Wish I would have been able to also get to Jeff's "pop-up" show but by the time I got wind of it, there was already a big line to get in. So unfortunately I can't provide an accurate setlist for that set. Sounds like it was pretty cool, though. Was he taking requests from people in there?

Jeff, as expected, also came out for You Are Not Alone during Mavis' set and he waved Spencer on as well. Mavis affectionately called him "Pops Tweedy" after introducing Spencer, to which Jeff replied, "I'll take that!" Spencer seemed a bit reluctant to come on stage at first, but ended up playing a tambourine back by the drum set.

All in all a good day at Newport Folk! Mavis joining in on Jeff's set was really special. 

The highlight of the day, for me anyway, was definitely The Watkins Family Hour show after the festival. It's hard to express how cool this show was. The best I can do might be to list off the artists who played: Sara and Sean Watkins (Nickel Creek), Willie Watson (Old Crow Medicine Show), Chris Funk (The Decemberists),  Kenneth Pattengale (The Milk Carton Kids), Langhorne Slim, John C. Reilly, Tom Brosseau, Hurray For The Riff Raff, Aoife O’Donovan, and Pokey LaFarge. I'm sure I missed some! 

The highlight of the day, for me anyway, was definitely The Watkins Family Hour show after the festival. It's hard to express how cool this show was. The best I can do might be to list off the artists who played: Sara and Sean Watkins (Nickel Creek), Willie Watson (Old Crow Medicine Show), Chris Funk (The Decemberists), Kenneth Pattengale (The Milk Carton Kids), Langhorne Slim, John C. Reilly, Tom Brosseau, Hurray For The Riff Raff, Aoife O’Donovan, and Pokey LaFarge. I'm sure I missed some!

I was gonna ask if anyone else made it to this show! It was a lot of fun and definitely captured the collaborative, freewheeling vibe of Largo (in LA where they usually do the Watkins Family Hour shows). Of course, with so much talent in that small theater, it was like the WFH on steroids!

I can probably come up with the setlist, or pretty close — not sure of the titles of the instrumentals Sara and Sean played, for instance — if anyone's interested.

i ended up w/ a Mogwai shirt on yesterday, a black one w/ a yellow lion like the Scottish national symbol.

it was pretty great being in the room. I know Jeff isn't the biggest camera fan so I only took a handful of photos and had my shutter sound dampened. Pics on DigBoston later today.

eidt - those are my buddy Ben's shots. nice ones!

OK, sigh.  I'm going to just come out and say it.  I don't seem to be as big a fan as the new Tweedy music as other people are.  I'm trying, I am.  I can recognize they are nicely written songs.  But I've seen this new thing twice, after the first time I thought maybe they just need to find their way with them, and they'll be more cohesive later (and they ARE), but I think I think I like my music with more energy and edge.  It's music for a rainy day spent inside.  I do like Darin Grey's contribution.

GREAT weekend, though.  Particularly enjoyable for me:

Reignwolf

Lake Street Dive

Ryan Adams (so funny!)

John Reilly

Pokey LaFarge

Benjamin Booker (I really liked him)

Deer Tick

Jack White

Hozier

Also, we went to Deer Tick's after show on Saturday night.  It was pretty exuberant.  Kurt Vile came up and played (if you can call it that) one song with them.  As he was getting up on stage, Jay Sweet, the guy who runs the whole folk fest, said to one of the guys in Deer Tick, "He's really high.  I mean, really, really high."  Also, guys in Deer Tick made out.  So, yeah.  

Bbop, I'd definitely be interested in the setlist, if you're able to piece it together!

If it's at all helpful, I was able to grab 1/2 of the on-stage lineup that Sara and Sean had, and got a photo of the other half.

Hour one: http://imgur.com/VIMEs8e
Hour two: http://imgur.com/c3B1dYN

I should say that Langhorne Slim was a real highlight for me. I wasn't all that familiar with him and was really fond of the two solo songs he played. Also Tom Brosseau. My god, what a voice.  

The evening was really special for my girlfriend, who has been a Nickel Creek fan for years. As you mentioned, unless you're in LA, you wouldn't otherwise get to experience The Watkins Family Hour. I've see NC and also Sara play solo w/ Sean, and have to say that I found the Watkins' playing last night to be even more enjoyable than any of the other times I've seen them. It must help to have an arsenal of friends/ fellow musicians waiting to come on stage! 

Also, what the hell is up with the talkers?  There's plenty of room in back, you won't need to yell over the music, and other people won't need to hear about how much you hate this one girl or how drunk you got last night.  Geez.

bbop: I would love it if you would post the setlist from Watkins Family Hour.  I so wanted to go, but had to head back home.

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this -- there was a film crew from PBS filming during the Tweedy set and Mavis's set.  Asked them what they were filming for, and they said it was for Great Performances.  Time frame would probably be about a year from now.  They made it sound like it was about Mavis more than Jeff, but still...

OK, sigh. I'm going to just come out and say it. I don't seem to be as big a fan as the new Tweedy music as other people are. I'm trying, I am. I can recognize they are nicely written songs. But I've seen this new thing twice, after the first time I thought maybe they just need to find their way with them, and they'll be more cohesive later (and they ARE), but I think I think I like my music with more energy and edge. It's music for a rainy day spent inside. I do like Darin Grey's contribution.

Judas! Just kidding of course. They definitely work for me, but I understand.

Bbop, I'd definitely be interested in the setlist, if you're able to piece it together!

If it's at all helpful, I was able to grab 1/2 of the on-stage lineup that Sara and Sean had, and got a photo of the other half.

Hour one: http://imgur.com/VIMEs8e

Hour two: http://imgur.com/c3B1dYN

Thanks! Love that the "setlist" was just the list of performers...haha.

I have it all scrawled down, basically, but it was dark in there so it'll take a little time to decipher it all. Should have it posted by tomorrow. Who was the guy playing piano? Was that the guy from Milk Carton Kids?

Thanks! Love that the "setlist" was just the list of performers...haha.

I have it all scrawled down, basically, but it was dark in there so it'll take a little time to decipher it all. Should have it posted by tomorrow. Who was the guy playing piano? Was that the guy from Milk Carton Kids?

We couldn't figure out who he was! I don't think he plays with MCK, but I could be wrong. 

Couple of comments on others' comments:

1.  I didn't hear the Jeff Tweedy pop-up concert either but TwoShedJackson listened through the window (how's that for a fan?) and told me it was Acuff-Rose, Passenger Side, ATTTBYH, and one other song.

2.  Not sure who the pianist was during those Watkins Family Hour songs, but it wasn't either of the Milk Carton Kids, though they were both there.  Kenneth was the one in the dark jacket who came out and adjusted the microphone for Tom Brosseau and stood in front during the jam session for Dead Flowers. I think you caught the names of most of the peeps who turned up for that show.  Add also the guy from the Deslondes who sang with Hurray for the Riff Raff, and also saw both Kenneth and Joey of TMCK in the mix for Dead Flowers along with Brian Wright.  Holly and Jess from Lucius watched the last song Sara and Sean did but didn't participate.  There were so many that I took notes each night so I wouldn't forget.

3.  "Only the Lord Knows" with Mavis and Tweedy was fantastic.  They totally got down.

This was my first Newport Folk Festival and it exceeded all expectations for me.  I was there all day every day and went to all the aftershows at the Pickens theater each night. The hardest part about every day was deciding which shows to choose.  So much talent on each stage that choosing one meant missing something else. Loved it all.  Favorites (aside from Tweedy and Mavis who are a given) included:

- The Milk Carton Kids

- Gregory Alan Isakov

- Benjamin Booker

- Shakey Graves at the Heartbreakers Banquet aftershow

- Willie Watson

- Lake Street Dive (Mavis did a walk-on)

There's a lot of discussion above about the Watkins Family Hour, which was absolutely fantastic.  The other after-shows were similarly great.  I'd absolutely do that again.  The first one was the Milk Carton Kids Revue, which featured also Brian Wright, Joe Pug, Willy Mason (check out his song "Restless Fugitive", just lovely), Gregory Alan Isakov, and Anais Mitchell with Jefferson Hamer.  I'd say they were all excellent with the exception of Mitchell/Hamer, who had a 10 minute explanation for each 8 minute song (ugh) bringing the momentum to a screeching halt and making the finish a death march.  The Heartbreakers Banquet show on the second night featured Shakey Graves, Valerie June, Lucius, and Shovels&Rope.  The show had a ton of heart, ending with a beautiful rendition of "Peace, Love, and Understanding" by Nick Lowe and "Perfect Day" by Lou Reed.

Great to meet a couple of you there!  Nice to put real names and faces to fake names and avatars.  It was a perfect weekend for me.

We couldn't figure out who he was! I don't think he plays with MCK, but I could be wrong.

OK then...I definitely didn't know who it was either!

Anyway, here's what I came up with for the setlist for the Watkins Family Hour show:

-You And Me (Sara and Sean Watkins on violin and acoustic guitar, respectively; Sara lead vox)

-bluegrass instrumental 1 (Sara and Sean Watkins)

-Damaged (Sara and Sean Watkins; Sean lead vox)

-Long John Dean (Sara and Sean and Willie Watson on banjo; Willie lead vox)

-Mexican Cowboy aka The Hills Of Mexico [traditional] (Willie Watson)

-Cradle Your Device (Sean and Tom Brosseau on acoustic guitar; Tom lead vox)

-Today Is A Bright New Day (Sean Watkins and Tom Brosseau; Tom lead vox)

-Gonna Lay Down My Old Guitar [Delmore Brothers] (John C. Reilly and Tom Brosseau)

-Travelin' Blues [Delmore Brothers] (John C. Reilly and Tom Brosseau)

-Kentucky [George Hamilton IV] (John C. Reilly and Tom Brosseau)

-Lock & Key (Sara and Sean Watkins; Sara lead vox)

-bluegrass instrumental 2 (Sara and Sean Watkins)

-Red & White & Blue & Gold (Aoife O'Donovan, Sara Watkins and Chris Funk on dobro; Aoife lead vox)

-Atlantic City [bruce Springsteen] (Aoife O'Donovan, Sara and Sean Watkins, Chris Funk and Langhorne Slim; Aoife lead vox)

-new song-Element Of Danger? (Langhorne Slim on acoustic guitar)

-new song-Falling In Love Again? (Langhorne Slim, Chris Funk, Sara Watkins and "piano man"; Langhorne lead vox)

-Long Road (Sara and Sean Watkins, Chris Funk and "piano man")

-Wave As We Run (Sara and Sean Watkins; Sean lead vox)

-Hold Whatcha Got [Jimmy Martin] (Sara and Sean Watkins; Sara lead vox)

-St. Roch Blues (Alynda Lee Segarra of Hurray For The Riff Raff on tambourine, Sam Doores of The Deslondes on guitar and "piano man"; Alynda Lee lead vox)

-Be My Baby [The Ronettes] (Alynda Lee Segarra, Sam Doores and "piano man"; Alynda Lee lead vox)

-Tonight You Belong To Me [billy Rose/Lee David] (Pokey LaFarge and band and Sara Watkins; Pokey and Sara lead vox)

-Bowlegged Woman (Pokey LaFarge and band)

-Show Me The Way To Go Home (Pokey LaFarge and band)

-Dead Flowers [The Rolling Stones] (ensemble)

----------------------------------------

-Any Old Time (Sean and Sara Watkins; Sara lead vox)

-Hop High My Lulu Girl [Dirk Powell] (Sean and Sara Watkins, Chris Funk, Aoife O'Donovan and Willie Watson; Sara and Aoife lead vox)

Anyway, here's what I came up with for the setlist for the Watkins Family Hour show:

Wow. Thanks, Bbop! I think you've inspired me to start bringing a pen & paper to shows. Not Wilco shows though, that's your territory.  ;)

What a great weekend. It was nice meeting up with a few of you, however briefly, and my wife and I had a great time hanging with Knotgreen and his lovely girlfriend on Sunday.

Some musical highlights:

Tweedy (obviously)

Gregory Alan Isakov (absolutely sublime)

The Milk Carton Kids

Shovels and Rope

Benjamin Booker (saw half of his set before heading to see S&R)

The Lonesome Trio (a pleasant surprise)

Unfortunately we had to make some tough choices and miss a few acts.

Thanks so much for sharing your terrific photos, Tim, and compliments to your friend on his as well! I'd have loved to be at this fest. Sounds like a great time all around!

I've seen Gregory Alan Isakov a couple of times here on the west coast...you're right, he's very good!