Favorite rock n roll autobiography

Autobiography, biography, ghost written or not, I don't care. Which are your favs?

Mine are, in no particular order:

Neil Young's "Shakey"

Levon Helm's "This Wheels on Fire"

Graham Nash's "Wild Tales"

Tony Iommi's "Iron Man"

Phil Lesh's "Searching for the Sound"

Bob Dylan's "Chronicles 1"

What are some other good ones?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week  or so I finished Todd Snider's "I Never Met a Story I Didn't Like" --- funny as hell. I not all that familiar with his music - but the book kept my interest --- quick read, too.

"Who I Am" -- Pete Townshend

"Twenty Thousand Roads" --  Gram Parsons

"Shaky" -- Neil Young

"Learning How To Die" -- Wilco

"Let it Blurt" -- Lester Bangs

"Big Day Coming" -- Yo La Tengo

and, of course, "Our Band Could Be Your Life"

Oh, a couple more I forgot that maybe don't exactly fit the category, since they're more memoirs, but Patti Smith's "Just Kids" is a totally amazing book--I couldn't recommend it more highly. It covers her early life and her relationship with Robert Mapplethorpe. As you would expect, she's a very poetic and evocative writer.

Another one I enjoyed was Richard Hell's "I Dreamed I Was a Very Clean Tramp." It was a very honest, warts and all memoir. And there were lots of warts.

Last week  or so I finished Todd Snider's "I Never Met a Story I Didn't Like" --- funny as hell. I not all that familiar with his music - but the book kept my interest --- quick read, too.

Yeah, fun read. A bunch of the stories in it he tells (abbreviated, mostly) between tunes at shows. I think you'd really like his music, too. 

NOJ: You ever read the MP's one?

Another one I enjoyed was Richard Hell's "I Dreamed I Was a Very Clean Tramp." It was a very honest, warts and all memoir. And there were lots of warts.

I am a huge Richard Hell fan, but I found that book to be a bit annoying -- self-aggrandizing, with too many potshots taken at his contemporaries. (He's particularly harsh on Richard Lloyd.)

I mean, it was all very interesting, especially for a big fan of the man, and of that CBGBs scene. But the tone kinda spoils it a bit. He obviously feels more than a little bit slighted by history. Maybe rightfully so, but it all comes off as very pouty. Quite unbecoming. So I didn't enjoy it as much as I really should have.

My favorite:

The Basketball Diaries by Jim Carroll

Of course it ends before Jim even starts with the whole rock n roll thing, but I think that it qualifies. And it's stunning to think that it was written by a 13-year-old. (Even if it was run over by professional editors.) This was a real life Holden Caufield, writing his own story -- as it would have been had he come from Queens (or wherever JC was from), as opposed to being from the upper crust on Long Island.

a few that I've read recently that I've enjoyed:

"Unknown Pleasures: Inside Joy Division"  -- Peter Hook (also, his book about the Hacienda Club)

"The Stone Roses: War and Peace" -- Simon Spence

"Who I Am" -- Pete Townshend

Keef's autobiography was a fun read, too.

I am a huge Richard Hell fan, but I found that book to be a bit annoying -- self-aggrandizing, with too many potshots taken at his contemporaries. (He's particularly harsh on Richard Lloyd.)

I mean, it was all very interesting, especially for a big fan of the man, and of that CBGBs scene. But the tone kinda spoils it a bit. He obviously feels more than a little bit slighted by history. Maybe rightfully so, but it all comes off as very pouty. Quite unbecoming. So I didn't enjoy it as much as I really should have.

I don't disagree at all. I actually know him a bit (I grew up with and am still good friends with his sister and mother) and have spent a little time around Richard. I think the book was pretty true to his actual character, which really isn't that appealing, sorry to say. I enjoyed it more for the insider view of that whole scene. Richard had the look and the attitude that perfectly fit with the zeitgeist of that time and place, but I don't think he ever really had the musical chops--or interest, frankly--to sustain a career in music. FWIW, he's a happily married, curmudgeonly writer/poet these days. I don't think music is a part of his life at all anymore.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Keefs, that was a good one.

Lammy, nope, haven't picked up the MPs one yet. Found out yesterday they're playing in Chicago on 10/23, co-headlining (?!) with Cass McComb (who ever that is).

I never did finish the Keith biography. I should try harder with it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Keefs, that was a good one.

Lammy, nope, haven't picked up the MPs one yet. Found out yesterday they're playing in Chicago on 10/23, co-headlining (?!) with Cass McComb (who ever that is).

Yeah, saw the tour dates yesterday, too.Pretty spread out. No CO but caught them a few months ago.

T's and Blues in Keefs hat.

Lammy, you saw them a few months ago? Please tell me they didn't play Sloop John B  and Wasted Days N Wasted Nights.

While he was not a rock n' roll musician, they don't get much more rock 'n roll than this:
miles-davis-the-autobiography.jpg?w=567&

Extraordinarily entertaining. Maybe a little bit trashy, and a little bit light on his musical thinking, but there is a lot of insight about the man, himself. Still, some great stories about other jazz greats and, just… a really good read.

While he was not a rock n' roll musician, they don't get much more rock 'n roll than this:

miles-davis-the-autobiography.jpg?w=567&

Extraordinarily entertaining. Maybe a little bit trashy, and a little bit light on his musical thinking, but there is a lot of insight about the man, himself. Still, some great stories about other jazz greats and, just… a really good read.

I think this one is argualbly the best book, period.

Keith Richards...the first chapter alone is worth the price.

Shakey is a Biography....does not count for this list I think.

The thing about Waging Heavy Piece is that almost a commercial for Pono....brings it up like 10 times...who gives a shit about that crap.

The WIlco (Learning) is also written by someone other than J Tweedy