When I remember to do it, I like to commemorate the anniversary of Dead shows I attended by listening to them. Today it's my first Dead show from 9/23/82. Right in the middle of Lost Sailor>Saint now. I know some of you old Deadheads were there too:

https://archive.org/details/gd1982-09-23.sbd.miller.108973.flac16

that's a long show.  around and johnny b. goode!  pre-drums Throwin too.  i still think it's crazy that Touch was in rotation for so long before the album.

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we're in the middle (sorta) of This Week in Grateful Dead History I thought it was worth mentioning that Latvala thought enough of the late September '72 period that 3 of the 3 dozen releases were from between 9/17 and 9/27/72 ( I know 2 of the last 3 were posthumous but wtf they were working off his notes, as they still do!). 3 in ten days. 9/28 as well really sticks out in my mind as being worthy of official release. This isn't my favorite period personally but one would be silly not to note that the band was REALLY on right then. The jams are just frighteningly good.

Yep, agreed, MB. I caught some good 80s shows, including the one referenced above that Lammy also caught, but I always say their best period was from about '70 to '77. I was listening to a Playin' in the Band from '74 earlier this week that I had not heard before, and it was fantastic. Last night on my way to pick up my wife from work, I was listening to Scarlet > Fire from 4/22/77 (a show I working my through for the first time this week), and it's sooooo good. Jerry royally screws up the verses on Fire, which usually kind of ruins a song for me a bit, but in this case it doesn't even matter. The thing just rips.

Speaking of listening to shows we were at, got in my car the other day and the Sirius GD station was playing Uptown Theater Chicago, 11-18-78 as the full show of the day.  Right in the middle of Fire.  I couldn't get out of my car until the show finished.  That was a memorable weekend.  I was in college in St. Louis and a bunch of us took several cars up for the drive to Chicago for the weekend of shows at the Uptown. One of my good buddies from home came in from Ann Arbor.  Crammed a lot of us into 2 adjoining hotel rooms on the Loop.  The electricity was running rampant.  Great shows at a great venue. The magic was happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus H. Christ. OK WE GET IT. '77 IS THE GREATEST THING TO EVER HAPPEN IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE. 

I just got a call from '84. They're feeling like a red-headed step child. They need a little love, Dave. I cannot fathom that in all the releases, ALL of them (Dick's, Road Trips, Dave's, Rhino multi-track stuff, etc), not one single '84 has ever been worthy? DAMN.

An unlikely pairing: Bill Frisell and James McNew (Yo La Tengo) doing Dark Star-->Comes a Time (and giving permission to torrent/dl it). Check it out here:

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/2014/10/james-mcnew-bill-frisell-and-jim-woodring-offhand-gestures-an-evening-of-spontaneous-creation/

Don't know the specific date, but I think from last summer's AmericaneramA tour, maybe the Atlanta show?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's from that tour, but not Atlanta. I was at the Atlanta show, and it featured the first Dark Star > California Stars > Dark Star, but no St. Stephen.

I would guess it's from 8/4/13, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, CA.

It's from that tour, but not Atlanta. I was at the Atlanta show, and it featured the first Dark Star > California Stars > Dark Star, but no St. Stephen.

I would guess it's from 8/4/13, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, CA.

It is the Shoreline show. That's the only one they played St. Stephen at.

I ordered it.

Edit: Already sold out by this morning.

Does anyone know or understand the logic behind these (very) limited editions? 

For many of us the options are 1) don't listen to the show or 2) download illegally / burn the disc from a friend.

I'd much rather give my money to the Grateful Dead org for all the great music and great memories, but they won't let me

Does anyone know or understand the logic behind these (very) limited editions? 

For many of us the options are 1) don't listen to the show or 2) download illegally / burn the disc from a friend.

I'd much rather give my money to the Grateful Dead org for all the great music and great memories, but they won't let me

I believe that their goal is to get more subscribers and thereby be able to justify raising the number of available subscriptions without having to sit on a backlog of unsold discs. Someone on Dead.net posted that there are only a few hundred copies available after each subscription is accounted for, so that's why they sell out quickly. Not sure how accurate this is, but the idea seems to be 1) Buy the subscription so as not to miss out and, 2) We (the Dead org) can keep upping the number of subscriptions available each year. Seems to work.

I was soured on it at first, and complained quite a bit about Dave's choices. However, due to the "limited" nature of the releases, I have been able to resell the copies of discs I did not want on Amazon, so I'm not losing anything...though I generally don't resell at the kinds of exorbitant prices you'll see on Ebay. I decided I will go ahead and take the chance on the 2015 subscription, even though I don't know if I'll be pleased with any of the releases. At least I can get them, and can always unload any of the ones I don't want to keep.

Thanks for that.  I guess it makes sense to some degree, but I'm sure there are tons of people like me (and mountain bed above) who refuse to subscribe because we don't want or need another 10 shows for 77.  And when they veer off from 77, they land at 72.  Both are good years, but there are 28 other years that go ignored.

I am a sucker for these releases only because I have a small Amazon store, and I'll willingly resell anything I don't think is worth keeping on disc (although I typically do burn a copy of the files for myself and archive them on an external hard drive). It's a bit of a chore, but I can justify the upfront expense if I can get most or all of my $ back. If I felt I really could not, or should not, resell them, I could never justify the expense - $115 per year on Dead bootlegs, when I already have hundreds of shows? My wife would have a stroke.

The Dave's Picks have been mostly 1970s, but not only '72 and '77, however. I'm seeing '77, '74, '71, '76, '73, '69/'70, '78, '80, '74, '69, '72, and now '77 again. Not bad, though understandably not a thrill if you are hoping for a mid-late '80s release. Maybe next year? Nah, probably not, based on Dave's comments about the kick drum and recording issues.

Here's the final installment of JamBase's 1974 retrospective, with links to the previous editions.  Great stuff if you don't already have it. 

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/123074/Stormy-Mondays-Grateful-Dead-1974-Retrospective-Finale

The "amazing passage" the writer refers to is on Disc 4 of the Grateful Dead Movie soundtrack.  Amazing it is.

Here's the final installment of JamBase's 1974 retrospective, with links to the previous editions.  Great stuff if you don't already have it. 

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/123074/Stormy-Mondays-Grateful-Dead-1974-Retrospective-Finale

The "amazing passage" the writer refers to is on Disc 4 of the Grateful Dead Movie soundtrack.  Amazing it is.

Now, that looks like some prime '74! Thanks for the upload. I just looked at Steel Cut Oats last night to see if they had added anything since last month, but no...

Been working my way through 9/20/74, emphasis on the word "work." Not much worthwhile here, unless you want to find the least rocking version ever of One More Saturday Night. Decent early Scarlet and a nice Row Jimmy, but that's about it. Some real clunkers, and not much that rises to the typically excellent level of '74 (the Grateful Dead Movie soundtrack, 6/18, 8/6, etc. etc.) Put this one at the bottom of your '74 list, folks.

https://archive.org/details/gd74-09-20.sbd.gasperini.5648.sbeok.shnf