Interesting comments regarding 9/20/74.

I tend to agree. i think there were some great 1974 moments (e.g., 5.19.1974, 6.16.1974, 6.18.1974, 6.20.1974, 6.23.1974, 7.19.1974, 10.16.1974 pitb, 10.19.1974 eyes) but it also had some real dud shows. It could have been many things or a nice mixture, but to me the band sounded a bit tired, over-drugged, or bored.

Listening to 05 October 2001 Wilco....man - they were really really playing well with the scaled down band...

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pre-ordered the new Bob Minkin book a couple weeks ago. This thing looks like a winner. Supposed to ship next week. 

Minkin was on the XM Tales 'show last weekend - sounds like it should be a great book.

Talked about how the Dead road crew, who gave him a hard time back in the day at times, are happy that the pictures actual survived and our coming out in a book--- I guess Steve Parish wrote a forward or something for the book.

Ranking of every show from 74: http://www.ishitmusic.com/?p=1176

People are pretty high on this year in general. My main issue is that the length of the shows tend to be exhausting, so it would be no surprise if the band was tired too. But I don't hear that much in the music. 

Wow, what a great resource! Of course, it's subjective, but this gives me a place to start. I know I have missed out on some great '74 shows, and now I have a better idea of which ones to check out. Surprised he ranked 9/20 even as high as he did. But he's got 6/18 and 8/6 in his top ten shows for the year list, so I respect his opinion automatically. Not sure which of the others I have, but I will check at home.

Ranking of every show from 74: http://www.ishitmusic.com/?p=1176

People are pretty high on this year in general. My main issue is that the length of the shows tend to be exhausting, so it would be no surprise if the band was tired too. But I don't hear that much in the music. 

Surprised I didn't see 6/28 Boston in the Top 10. June '74 is one of the really great months of GD, probably the best month of the Wall of Sound Era (my opinion).

Listened to the 1st set of the Fresno 7.19.74 show last night --- good set. Looking forward to the 2nd set.

It's been on my hard drive for a awhile, but I don't remember listening to the show before.

Here's the final installment of JamBase's 1974 retrospective, with links to the previous editions. Great stuff if you don't already have it.

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/123074/Stormy-Mondays-Grateful-Dead-1974-Retrospective-Finale

The "amazing passage" the writer refers to is on Disc 4 of the Grateful Dead Movie soundtrack. Amazing it is.

I listened to that "amazing passage" on disc 4 over the weekend. So good. Give it a spin.

Dave's Picks subscription for 2015 now up and ready for pre-order. Still $100 with free shipping for subscribers. DP #14 will be 2/24/74 (sorry, mountain bed, that is about 10 years off). :D

http://www.dead.net/store/music/live-shows/daves-picks-2015-subscription

Edit: FWIW, this show is apparently a month or so before the debut of the Wall of Sound, so it reportedly has a vibe that is more late '73 than '74. I may or may not have a copy of it at home, not sure. I know I have one of this run, but it might be 2/22 or 2/23.

Dave's Picks subscription for 2015 now up and ready for pre-order. Still $100 with free shipping for subscribers. DP #14 will be 2/24/74 (sorry, mountain bed, that is about 10 years off). :D

http://www.dead.net/store/music/live-shows/daves-picks-2015-subscription

Edit: FWIW, this show is apparently a month or so before the debut of the Wall of Sound, so it reportedly has a vibe that is more late '73 than '74. I may or may not have a copy of it at home, not sure. I know I have one of this run, but it might be 2/22 or 2/23.

Thanks for the heads up Mr. H.  :thumbup

I have a funny feeling this book will be worse or as bad as Phil's book:

Deal: My Three Decades of Drumming, Dreams, and Drugs with the Grateful Dead

Bill Kreutzmann, Benjy Eisen (May 5, 2015)

Thanks for the heads up Mr. H.  :thumbup

You bet! It was kind of hard to find the announcement at first, because you have to go through the "Almanac" part of the menu to find it, so I figured I'd let people on here know. The "limited release" number has been boosted to 16,500 this time.

These books (Phil's, Scully's, Parrish's, etc.) are usually entertaining just in getting the individual's perspective. They aren't "great reads" in any literary sense, of course, but not bad for a quick breeze through "history".

You bet! It was kind of hard to find the announcement at first, because you have to go through the "Almanac" part of the menu to find it, so I figured I'd let people on here know. The "limited release" number has been boosted to 16,500 this time.

Well, I plunked down the cash first thing this morning. I feel like you can't mess around and end up missing out.

What didn't you like about Phil's book? It's been years since I read it, but I'm pretty sure I liked it.

I've read hundreds of rock books. Most of them are not that great. I found his to be bad.

I'd like them to talk more about the music. I am not really interested in stories about ex-wives and what sort of drugs they did.

Maybe Billy's will be different. But - I doubt it. I could be wrong. We shall see. 

I've read hundreds of rock books. Most of them are not that great. I found his to be bad.

I'd like them to talk more about the music. I am not really interested in stories about ex-wives and what sort of drugs they did.

Maybe Billy's will be different. But - I doubt it. I could be wrong. We shall see. 

The title suggests that it won't be any different. Of course he does have "Drumming" in it.

I have never read any of Mickey Hart's books, but heard great things. I thought Phil's book was boring to. The best part of McNally's book were his 'Interludes' or what ever he called them.

Blair Jackson's book on Garcia and his Gear book are probably my favorites, plus Gan's interview books.