ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my daughter did it tonight.

she ran and squealed while I doused.

we kind of did it twice.

with all the other bs going on in the world, it is quite the well-intentioned refuge.

and still gaining momentum!

I heard that the muscle spasms/cramps induced from ice water on the body are in some manner slightly comparable to the muscle spasms experienced by the  ALS-inflicted. That, and the fact that it's raised a couple of million dollars and awareness, are worth the "hype".

My stepdad was diagnosed with ALS a few years ago and is already at the point where he is confined to a wheelchair and has to use an IPAD to communicate.  Just a terrible disease.  He has been loving watching all the challenges on facebook.  I know people are getting tired of it and starting to complain about it already but if they saw the happiness it has brought to just this one man they might reconsider complaining about it.

anyone getting tired of seeing ALS videos on facebook can stab themselves in the eyes with some toothpicks. 

the fact that people are taking 1 minute away from facebook/TV/internet/texts to go outside and do anything--even dumping icewater on themselves--is a cod damn miracle.  the fact that it is putting ALS in lots of discussions, and putting some money towards a good cause, is outstanding.

I adore the kiddie giggles on Mikaels video.

I wonder if the challenge would have been as successful if had been in the northern hemisphere winter.

It's raising money, people look like they're having fun with their family doing it. What's not to like?

I will agree that I enjoy watching videos of hot men dumping ice cold water on themselves whether they donate money or not.

It's raising money, people look like they're having fun with their family doing it. What's not to like?

However, I do find this whole thing sort of annoying and reminiscent of some large scale sort of pubescent "all the cool kids are doing it" peer pressure. Clever they have tapped into that insecurity, both with this campaign and that no make-up breast cancer meme.

Why not give to charity without calling so much attention to ourselves?

And anyway, I have other pressing concerns for my charity budget right now, like the UNRWA fund. Who wants to do some cutesy water dumping meme for some refugee kids dying in war zones? FUN! I wonder if the ALS charity it is going to will just use the money to pay themselves first, like most other charities. I'd like to see some transparency.

I'll have you know I disliked this campaign from day one, and have not "grown tired" of it, but rather annoyed from the very start. Bah humbug.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3296

I've yet to donate (but I will, as ALS killed my father-in-law 3 years ago) but I've heard that you can request that 100% of your donation can be earmarked for research.

That is a great idea, from a public relations standpoint. Yet it seems like a way to make people feel good about their donation without really changing anything. So 100% of my donation goes to research because I requested it, while someone else who does not earmark theirs for research has only 5% of theirs go to research. At the end of the day, the organization is going to put the money together and spend x% on research, x% on administrative costs, etc.

The ice bucket challenge has been a huge success for the ALS Association. Good for the organization, the families impacted by ALS, and those giving $ or dumping water on themselves. I don't mind seeing the videos on my facebook feed - I can (and do) ignore them.

Yeah, annoying or not, anything to raise awareness for that horrible disease is a good thing.  My father was challenged by his cousin, he has accepted (and will still donate).  Then he's going to challenge my oldest son.. Should be a hoot.  

:headbonk

I stand by it.  Millions of people filling up buckets of fresh water and then dumping it all out is a bad thing.

I'm glad ALS is making a killing, though, provided they use the money wisely.

5 seconds in the shower would fill up most buckets.  If you live in AZ, CA, etc., don't waste water (oops, I challenged my buddy in Tempe), but the impact of the lost water is negligible at best.

You've got some fire hydrant water pressure if five seconds out of a shower head will fuill a bucket.   It'd take more like a minute in any shower I've ever experienced.

My manager at work mentioned to me that the CEO of the ALS organization made over $100,000 last year. I googled it: turns out it's closer to $300,000. You can see it listed on the same link Hixter posted earlier:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3296#.U_34JChy--I

Are you saying that the CEO is overpaid or underpaid? Doesn't seem far off to me.