Wilco - 9/3/14 - Columbus, OH LC Pavilion

Great show tonight; the Tweedy shows were fun this summer, but it was nice to see the full band again. Tweedy was quiet for most of the show, but did make a pretty fun joke involving Glenn's penis and a Porsche. Here's the setlist, as played (I'm pretty sure I have the order right):

Misunderstood

Forget the flowers

Passenger side

Handshake drugs

Hummingbird

Cars can't escape

Via chicago

Poor places

Art of almost

I might

Impossible Germany

Born alone

Laminated cat

Jesus etc.

Magazine called sunset

Whole love

I'm always in love

California stars

Walken

Kingpin

I'm the man who loves you

Encore:

Box full of letters

Dawned on me

Heavy metal drummer

I got you (at the end of the century)

Outtasite (outtamind)

Don't really have a tremendous amount to add, but I'll "sign off" on the accuracy of the setlist posted above by jcap1767. The band played exactly what was on the printed setlist with the exception of The Lonely 1, which was listed as the show closer but got cut. The crew was actually bringing out the necessary guitars/implements for that one, but Jeff waved them off. It would've been an interesting choice to end the show, to be sure.

Obviously it was great to see the band play again after nearly a year off. For the most part, they seemed pretty focused on playing the repertoire again and getting "back in the saddle," as Jeff remarked. The show wasn't without some flubs — Jeff struggled with the lyrics on Laminated Cat, for example — but they weren't nearly as rusty as some might have expected. As Jeff commented at one point, dryly, "Everything's different," which is to say not much really was different at all. (Maybe with the exception of Jeff playing some different guitars; he used a red Gibson ES-335 [i think] quite a bit, as well as his 1930s Kel Kroydon acoustic that I don't think he's used a lot with Wilco, the one with the peacock motif).

But anyway, for the most part, it was the kind of show that one might have expected after such a long layoff. A little sloppy (in a good way), a little bit of getting the muscle memory back on some of these songs. Always nice to hear relative rarities like Cars Can't Escape and A Magazine Called Sunset, of course. In some ways, these shows are nice because you really don't have much of an idea of what's coming next on the setlist. Whereas during the course of a typical tour, some patterns tend to emerge, with these gigs anything could get played at any time, more or less, so that keeps things interesting...

Great show tonight; the Tweedy shows were fun this summer, but it was nice to see the full band again. Tweedy was quiet for most of the show, but did make a pretty fun joke involving Glenn's penis and a Porsche. Here's the setlist, as played (I'm pretty sure I have the order right):

Misunderstood

Forget the flowers

Passenger side

Great old school opening trio.

Cars can't escape

Via chicago

Poor places

Art of almost

Nice, noisy second quarter.

Magazine called sunset

Whole love

I'm always in love

California stars

Fun, poppy third quarter.

Kingpin

I'm the man who loves you

Encore:

Box full of letters

Dawned on me

Heavy metal drummer

I got you (at the end of the century)

Outtasite (outtamind)

Strong, rock 'n roll finish.

Obviously, everything else not quoted above (Handshake Drugs, Laminated Cat, etc.) works well in the transitions between those styles. I gotta say, I think this is a pretty well-constructed set list that veers off the patterns/trappings of setlists supporting albums.

Obviously, everything else not quoted above (Handshake Drugs, Laminated Cat, etc.) works well in the transitions between those styles. I gotta say, I think this is a pretty well-constructed set list that veers off the patterns/trappings of setlists supporting albums.

Wow, holy shnikes, is that a dream set list. Looks like they are combining the "Best of Wilco" with the "Wilco Rarities" for the set list on this tour. I would have been whooping and hollering and stomping my feet to the rockers and squealing like a little girl to the rarities and all manner of publicly embarrassing myself. I truly hope they schedule a South Florida stop somewhere after the Europe run. This is almost as epic looking as the "Evening With Wilco" tour!

I second a South Florida stop! we are overdue!

Ha...yes lets get them down here sooner than later.

Most of my comments from the early days were about them coming down to So.Fl. 

Have to say they have been down here a good amount but it has been a little while I guess.

Such a good show! I can't decide if this one was the best I've seen or if the last Detroit show was better...I think if they'd played A Shot in the Arm and One Sunday Morning, it would easily have killed Detroit. And my head would have exploded.

I was in need of a really rockin show this time, and this one really nailed it.  Definitely a show to shake the rust off.  Glen was a beast all night.  Jeff played a lot of electric guitar, more than usual.  It was my daughter's first Wilco show, so she definitely got the full rocker version.

Not a lot of banter, and I thought Jeff (and all of the guys) looked pretty focused and serious all night.  It took probably 8 or 9 songs before even a "howyadoin?".  Jeff asked if we wanted him to check on us more often.  He offered to talk more (mixed responses), and said he would tell us a joke but he only knew one joke.  After some hesitation, and some comment from Glen, he said "Glen told me that he's really glad he has a huge penis, because he can't afford a Porsche."  I think even Glen was shocked at that one, but did respond with a rimshot.  Immediately after which Jeff said something like ".. and now we'll have a song about Jesus" before starting Jesus, etc.  He later clarified that it wasn't really about Jesus but really about the interjection using the name Jesus...

The setlist had a kind of "anthology + B-sides" feel to it, which makes sense given the announcement of the "Best of collection and a Rarities box" from HQ.  A lot of rockers and old favorites, which made for a great show.  Kingpin was fun to hear again (after a very loud first "how can I... WHOOOO", Jeff seemed impressed and noted that we seemed to have weeded out the casual fans).  Magazine got several "woah" reactions from us diehards in the front. 

It was great to see everyone there, and an honor to be next to bbop on the rail in front of Jeff.  I noticed the Canadian coalition was staked out in front of Pat.  Just sayin.  Hope you all have fun in Akron tonight. 

Bahamas went on a little early (before 8), and played a nice set.  Wilco came on after a very short changeover, maybe 830 ish.  Played till 1030 or so.

I was camped out on the rail with the "Canadian Coalition" (although I'm a San Franciscan myself). I'd say we were positioned more Loose Fur than Autumn Defense, but I'll admit to appreciating the wonder of nature that is Pat Sansone.

There were a couple of truly endearing Jeff moments that I really enjoyed in Columbus. After one of Nels' signature guitar explosions Jeff went up to him and rubbed the back of Nels' head and smiled. It was such an affectionate gesture. The other was during Outtasite (outtamind). While he was singing the line "here I come again and I'm bringing my friends" he pointed to the rest if the band. You could tell he was really enjoying being on stage with those guys again.

The other was during Outtasite (outtamind). While he was singing the line "here I come again and I'm bringing my friends" he pointed to the rest if the band. You could tell he was really enjoying being on stage with those guys again.

Good times! I love that song, especially in an encore set, and it makes me happy picturing that moment you described. :)