Wilco - 9/4/14 - Akron, Oh Akron Civic Theatre

Not necessarily a bad show performance wise, but pretty disappointing setlist considering it was almost identical to last nights. Wish there had been a little more variety. Here's what they played:

I'm the man who loves you

Hummingbird

I am trying to break your heart

Art of almost

I might

Via Chicago

Impossible Germany

Cars can't escape

War on war

Jesus etc

Born alone

Poor places

Spiders (acoustic)

Kamera

Box full of letters

Whole love

Magazine called sunset

Heavy metal drummer

Dawned on me

Misunderstood

True love will find you in the end (Daniel Johnston cover)

Encore:

The late greats

I'm always in love

Shot in the arm

Encore 2:

California stars

Passenger side

Kingpin

Once again, jcap1767 for the win on the posting of the setlist. I might be able to finally retire!

Beg to differ about a "disappointing" setlist, though. Any show with a full-band True Love Will Find You In The End is a pretty unique one. I seem to be unable to look it up on Wilcoworld (we miss you Wilcobase!), but I gather that song has only been played by the full band a few times ever. Maybe less than 15, unless they did it a lot in the real early days? So to get a beautiful version of that tonight to close the main set was a real treat.

I mean, there were quite a few repeats from Columbus but what did you expect? It's their second show back after being off for 11 months and they're going to play what they're most comfortable playing for the most part. It's not as if this was a two-night stand in one city after they've been on tour all summer. Considering it was the band's first-ever show in Akron, I'd say the setlist was pretty varied and had something for everyone.

In general, I think Jeff was much chattier and looser tonight, perhaps in part due to being distracted — by his own admission — by the super annoying (drunk?) dude standing right in front of him in the pit. I gathered that he kept yelling out some variation of "I love you, man!" for much of the show to which Jeff quietly acknowledged him, shushed him and then outright called him out to the rest of the crowd. "I've learned something about myself tonight," Jeff said. "I could never be a guard at Buckingham Palace."

Please don't retire. I always love your write-ups. I've been reading the forums for awhile, and felt like it might be time to give back. I didn't find any of the playing disappointing (I actually thought a lot of the performances were better tonight), but I don't think I've ever seen Wilco on back to back nights with such little vatiation in the setlist.

True Love Will Find You In the End was definitely I highlight in the set, but I usually leave a Wilco show feeling like I heard 4 or 5 really unique songs, rather than 1 or 2. Was nice to see Cars and Magazine again, but it took a little of the thrill away after having seen them the night before.

Please don't retire. I always love your write-ups. I've been reading the forums for awhile, and felt like it might be time to give back. I didn't find any of the playing disappointing (I actually thought a lot of the performances were better tonight), but I don't think I've ever seen Wilco on back to back nights with such little vatiation in the setlist.

True Love Will Find You In the End was definitely I highlight in the set, but I usually leave a Wilco show feeling like I heard 4 or 5 really unique songs, rather than 1 or 2. Was nice to see Cars and Magazine again, but it took a little of the thrill away after having seen them the night before.

I was just kidding...haha. I'll never give this up! (Just like tonight's show will go on forever...;-))

But nice work on being quick and accurate! I take your point about the show, but I guess they've set the bar pretty high for themselves. Just wanted to remind people that it's their second show back in a year. They got to rehearse a little bit, I'm sure, but every show they do will probably get a little better (at least as far as the playing goes and hopefully the setlists will follow).

I usually leave a Wilco show feeling like I heard 4 or 5 really unique songs, rather than 1 or 2.

For what it's worth, they played 6 songs in Akron that they didn't play in Columbus. Sure, it's definitely not on par with setlists for a 2-night stand at the same venue. But based on how many of the same songs were played at the start of the show, I was pleased to hear that much variation. True Love Will Find You in the End was such an awesome surprise! And I think technically we got a different version of California Stars tonight, with two first verses followed by a single second. ;) (I wasn't hallucinating, was I?)

As far as my experience went, tonight's ornate theater show was a perfect counterpoint to the sweaty, outdoor GA show last night. I'll be interested in what they do for Lock'n. Reading about it afterward, that is, from my nice, comfy house.

I enjoyed the show thoroughly with my daughter. What an awesome venue. We were in the first balcony and it felt a little detached but on the positive the seats were great. My only complaint was the people who talked constantly during the show especially during the opener. I value my concert experience and people who don't respect the people around them and especially the artists just rock me off. If they would have been talking about the music I would have accepted it but it was a get to know each other date....next time go to Applebees. Can't wait for the Ryman shows.

I'm actually at Lockn now and thinking it'll be interesting to see what they do with a 2-night stand at a festival. Of course it'll be shorter sets but I think probably no repeats. Or at most one or two.

I'm here too, counting the hours until Wilco's first set but still taking it all in. I 'm expecting no repeats over the 3 hours of Wilco sets. We'll see!

During the Kingpin closer, did Jeff sing "Livin' in Akron"? ;)

But of course! He sort of shrugged when they started played the opening chords, as if to say, 'Of course we're gonna play this one. Too good of a pandering opportunity not to.'" Haha.

Jeff had some great banter about Akron, in general. About trying to go to Chrissie Hynde's restaurant but finding out it had shut down because "not enough of you went there"; about "whatever horrible, twisted things you did to those people" to cause them to become Devo; and about loving "your town, your canal, your decaying infrastructure."

I live in the Akron area about 20 minutes from downtown and work in downtown.  I have listened to Jeff since Uncle Tweedy.  I have been waiting 20 years for Wilco to come to Akron.  Having only experienced the band through CD's and recorded/downloaded shows, it was my first time to see them live.  I thought the show was freaking awesome -- even breathtaking at times.  The setlist included most of my favorites.  Even two songs from A.M.  Absolutely great.  I wonder how they decide what shows to make available as Roadcase downloads.  I think it is interesting to read the comments of those who have had a chance to see them multiple times.  I will definitely be in Cleveland when they return.  BTW, we are very proud of the Civic Theater here in Akron.

The venue was fantastic. I was in the balcony after being on the far end of the rail in Columbus but had just as good of a time. And I could see Mikael and the owl in Akron! Also, I noticed a gentleman in the row before me was recording the setlist on his phone and wondered if that was one of you.