name an essential record made by people over 50 years old (non-jazz format)

the thread about Neil (and the apparent lack of interest in his recent work) made me think about the relationship between the aging process and the creative process... it would definitely seem that most people lose their creative spark as time moves on. what do you have?

Robyn Hitchcock was 52 when Ole Tarantula came out, definitely the most even of his later records.

Robert Pollard's put out an amazing 30 LPs (solo, GBV, Circus Devils, Boston Spaceships, etc) since turning 50, and at least a handful of those stand up (most notably the Spaceships stuff)

i know Dylan's got his fans but to be honest i haven't heard Time Out Of Mind onward. currently listening to Together Through Life via Spotify and it's alright.

what do you got?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dylan's last few albums come to mind.  Especially Love & Theft, Modern Times and Tempest.  Ironically, I think Neil's Silver & Gold is solid.  Maybe not a masterpiece.  This is a great topic.  It reminds me of the research on creativity that shows a definite decline in quantity and quality after the 20s and then a spike in the last half of one's life.  The research was done on academics, but I think it fits with popular music too.  So many artists have a peak period and then a resurgence later…unless they continue putting out drivel over the years.

I agree that Dylan's Love & Theft and Modern Times are excellent releases by someone over 50.  

But the point is well taken, I'm struggling to think of someone else who kept a creative spark burning at that age.  

What about David Byrne?  I've lost track of his work (I'm still mad at him for breaking up the Heads) but I know his work with St. Vincent received lots of praise.  

Lucinda?  She must be over 50. She's still putting out new material, nothing on the order of Car Wheels though.  What I've heard of her soon to be released new album sounded great.

The Los Lobos guys.  Tin Can Trust came out in 2010, Hidalgo was over 50 at the time.  I think that's a great album.

Ironically, I think Neil's Silver & Gold is solid.  Maybe not a masterpiece.

Silver & Gold is a good album.  As you point out, it's not a masterpiece, but it is a good record.  In my world, Broken Arrow & Greendale are essential pieces in the Shakey canon.  I believe both albums were released after or right around the time Neil turned 50.

"Essential" is tough to quantify imo; sticking with "excellent," off the top of my head these come to mind among the albums I own:

Dylan's Time Out of Mind.

Dr. John, Locked Down.

Ian Hunter and the Rant Band, When I'm President.

Graham Parker & the Rumour, Three Chords Good.

Levon Helm, Dirt Farmer and Electric Dirt.

NRBQ, Brass Tacks.

James Taylor, October Road.

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Hypnotic Eye.

Van Morrison, The Healing Game, Back on Top, Magic Time.

Tom Waits, Bad as Me.

Agree with this one, too:

John Hiatt is still making some great records - Master of Disaster and Same Old Man is as strong as his mid 80's work. His latest is pretty good, too.

Tom Zé - Estuando o Pagode

Tom Zé - Estuano a Bossa

Caetano Veloso - Livros

Nick Cave - Dig Lazarus Dig

All among their most-essential, or best. And I would say that they are all pretty essential for any fan of Tropicalia or MPB, in general. (And Tom Zé was in his 60s and 70s when he put out those 2 albums!)

Are the folks in Yo La Tengo 50 yet? I think that they are.

Anything that they put out is essential. And they're still putting out some pretty great records. 

There are other artists over 50 who are putting out some pretty great stuff, but I'm not sure how you would define "essential" so I'll hold off on naming those. But the above albums, those are essential.

Patty Griffin.  Her latest album "American Kid" is widely regarded as her best work (and it charted the highest if that matters).  

John Hiatt is still making some great records - Master of Disaster and Same Old Man is as strong as his mid 80's work. His latest is pretty good, too.

Ever heard his daughter Lilly's music?  Not bad.  Not bad at all.  Her last album "Let Down" was good and she's releasing another one soon. 

And, if we're going with merely "excellent" as qualifying, Nick Lowe has had a couple of really excellent albums in recent years:
The Convincer

At My Age

Nope - never knew Hiatt had a daughter in the music racket - need to check it out..

Ever heard his daughter Lilly's music?  Not bad.  Not bad at all.  Her last album "Let Down" was good and she's releasing another one soon.