Sukierae review thread.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7.3 from Pitchfork is lukewarm at best.

LouieB

7.3 from pitchfrok is actually pretty decent. I've learned to stop looking at the number and just read the review. It was a fairly positive review, with lots of props being thrown at Spencer. They typically only give 8/9+ scores to up and coming artists. They have been shitting on Wilco since Ghost is Born. I was honestly expecting MUCH worse...they have been extra harsh lately..

in general, I don't see this album getting a ton of overwhelmingingly positive reviews. Not to say I don't like the album (it's growing on me quite a bit)..it just doesn't feel new or different enough to warrant a huge critical reception. I think this album will be more of a fan favorite.  I guess we shall see.

The scores from Pitchfork can be a little all over the map. But I don't know what kind of staff turnover the site has, which could make a difference in how an artist is perceived over time. I think they're more trustworthy than most people give them credit for, and they don't reserve their high scores solely for up-and-coming artists. For instance, just this year, Spoon got an 8.6 and a Best New Music tag for They Want My Soul.

Also, you do have to pay attention to the byline. Stephen Deusner is one of their better critics. Same goes for Steven Hyden when he sometimes reviews an album (although, writing for Grantland now means fewer reviews, I think).

The reviews so far seem about right. I think over time this album will ultimately be judged on whether it was a good idea to include 20 songs on it, and whether those lesser songs become essential in a way.

to be fair..that Spoon album deserved a 9.+ in my mind...but like I said, the number is such a shallow way to judge a record. The written review for this album was very positive, and even the criticisms (length/tedium) are given a bit of a pass due to the story behind the record.

That score is probably a tad low, but I think he makes some excellent points. I definitely want more Spencer on this album as it rolled into the second half of songs that felt mostly interchangeable. His contributions were exceptional and really surprised me, but he's missing on too many songs.

From The Atlantic"

"a two-disc tour de force"

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/09/jeff-tweedys-subconscious-songwriting/380290/

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

That's not really a proper record review, but an interview with Jeff about the songwriting process. But that line is accurately quoted.

I know it was 10+ years ago. The point I was trying to articulate is that they once held Wilco in very high regard but took them down several pegs after AGIB -- agreeing with your point.

Not just after AGIB, they gave AGiB itself a whopping 6.6/10 back in the day: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/8680-a-ghost-is-born/

That makes Wilco (the Album) the highest rated post-YHF studio album on Pitchfork, which is rather amusing cause that seems to be by far the least liked among Wilco fans. Their Whole Love review was especially confusing, pretty positive in tone yet with a 6.9 attached to it. Like they just weren't cool enough anymore to receive a higher rating.

They still hold YHF in very high regard though, was #4 in their end of decade 00s list if I remember correctly.

Can you believe how many great and revealing articles we're getting from Jeff these days? Mods, Would it be possible to set up a separate thread with the articles that are interviews with Jeff or articles about Sukierae--in other words, articles that aren't really reviews of the album?

This piece in The Guardian is excellent! Quite an illuminating glimpse into the making of the album, as well as Jeff's always interesting thoughts generally. Speaking of Low Key, I had to laugh, because I'm definitely NOT a low key participant at shows, but it's good to know that he doesn't get discouraged at the quieter audience members. In fact, I often feel obliged to demonstrate extra enthusiasm when it's one of those stick in the mud audiences. Maybe I need to stop doing that.