Sukierae review thread.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/sep/18/jeff-tweedy-wilco-why-the-album-still-matters

This is actually an article by Jeff ("as told to Dave Simpson"), but it's about as close to as a review/explication of Sukierae from him as you're likely to get (I think). I didn't see it posted anywhere else.

That's great - thanks

‘If you’ve got a 12-inch album with a picture of somebody’s head on it, it’s the same size as your head. You can sit it up and talk to it. Not that I’ve ever done that’

- Oh come on, are you really, really sure about that?

I'm picturing something along the lines of Tom Hanks and that basketball in that film. :-)

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=no&u=http://www.bt.no/bergenpuls/musikk/anmeldelser/Forfriskende-familiart-3201357.html%3Fxtor%3DRSS-2&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dwilco%2Btweedy%26client%3Dsafari%26sa%3DX%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D671%26tbs%3Dqdr:h

After nearly 20 albums as leader or member of various bands, Jeff Tweedy has made its first real solo album. The background is a mix of creative energy and a need for distraction: While Tweedy worked with the plate, got his wife Susan confirmed malignant lymphoma. She is still under treatment and it's almost like you hear the man and his son's nervous apprehension here.

"Sukierea" (the title is Susan's nickname) cultivates a restless, light groping mood that previously could only glimpse in the background of Wilcos later discs. The sound is muted, with dry guitars, sparing keyboard use and discreet damekoring here and there. The main instrument, other than Tweedy's voice, the drums.

Son Spencer not only has an intuitive grasp of what the father wants, he has his own style: soft, almost liquid, with an inventive use of punches its capabilities. It comes in handy, for Tweedy himself is not always at its most immediate here.

"Slow Love" and "Diamond Light Pt. 1 "is introspective mood pieces that still will highlight, thanks to the blanket of jazz, driving drums. Elsewhere there Tweedy talent for simple folk like songs that make shine "Nobody Dies Anymore" grows from a hushed, shuffling ballad to a much-mantra against death. At the same time it is not a somber album - popinstinktet is invigorated, from "yeah yeah yeah" -koringen on riffete "I'll Sing It," the disc's most Wilco-esque track, "Low Key".

The best thing is probably "Summer Noon," with its simple melody and bittersweet warning about the danger of being in love: "Never leave your mother's womb, Unless you wanna see how hard a broken heart can swoon." Father and son Tweedy does not use big words or effects, but boy have they said much the same.

"cultivates a restless, light groping mood". Indeed.

The text itself was reasonably positive, but the rating seems low. 3.5 out of 5. It's like a 70 on a test. Barely passing. I didn't think the narrative matched the numerical score.

I don't think you can draw a reasonable comparison between a test score and an album rating, though. By that logic, anything rated at 3 stars or less would be "failing" and I don't think critics think in that manner. In this instance 3.5 out of 5 is very positive.

I posted this in the Sukierae thread, but I figured I would post it here too:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NLLSQO2/ref=tsm_1_tw_s_dm_ncde5a

That was great. Those two have such an interesting vibe to watch-- Spencer seems to really care what his dad thinks about his opinions, and Jeff seems to really make an effort not to interrupt, assume anything, or speak for Spencer. Very endearing.

Although I wish Jeff had answered the question Diane asked about the Solid Sound documentary! It remains a mystery....

- And I love it when you open a show with "Misunderstood," because that's sort of going through all the emotions.

- It's a scorched earth way of opening a show.

That is a great line.

I posted this in the Sukierae thread, but I figured I would post it here too: 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NLLSQO2/ref=tsm_1_tw_s_dm_ncde5a

Who's on the wall? My guess - Ronnie Lane / ? / Noel Fielding

Can't see how the last one is correct though but that's who it looks like to me :-)

Although I wish Jeff had answered the question Diane asked about the Solid Sound documentary! It remains a mystery....

I think it's in the Solid Sound discussion thread, but a couple months ago I tracked down the video production company and they responded to my email and assured me the Solid Sound movie was being actively worked on every day.