Capital Theatre Show - details??

Hi!

My boss is going to the show in NYC in October at the Capital Theatre (29th, there are 3 that week) and wanted to know more specific details - anyone know if Wilco is usually on time for their shows? Slated as doors open at 7pm, show starts at 8pm. Will they start right at 8:00? Are there any opening bands? How long do the shows typically last?

Also, anyone been to the Capital Theatre before? Nice restaurants nearby?

Any details you can provide will be extremely helpful - thanks in advance!!

~

Wilco typically has an opener, although I don't see one listed for this leg of the tour. Someone else may be able to provide more details. I would imagine there is an opener, but no idea.

They usually start pretty darn close to on time, and shows last from 2 - 2.5 hours as a general rule.

Not sure about other questions, as I have never been to the Cap.

Yeah, being that it is specifically being billed as "An Evening With" across all 7 of the dates, that means that most likely it'll be an almost 3 hour show starting about 15 after 8 or so... you can do a search for some of the previous "Evening With" shows to get a better idea of what they're like if you are SUPER curious. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to the Thursday night show, but have two for the Tuesday night show I cannot use. Is there a specific forum to post this info? Or is this the right one. I have a StubHub posting for them, but I'm looking to sell to fans at face value. Not trying to make money off of them. Apologies if this is an uncalled for post.

It's an evening with Wilco show. To me that means no opener and they will be on 8-810 ish and play 3 hours. Hopefully a little before the show we will get an indication.

On their last Australian tour they played two 'Evening with..' shows. I bumped into John a few days before the first of them and he said that 'Evening with...' means no opener, but nothing more than that. Sure enough the shows were regular length (well, one of them was very short due to a misunderstanding about curfew).

I should have said, I think the issue is why they don't have an opening band. In Australia it was because the shows were at the Opera House and there were rehearsals that prevented an early start. Here I suspect it's that they will play long shows. But the 'Evening with...' moniker is no guarantee (sadly, given I flew to Sydney specifically thinking it did).

Article from our local newspaper The Journal News aka "LoHud" in today's print edition

http://www.lohud.com/story/entertainment/music/2014/10/21/wilco-capitol-theatre-aniversary-playlists/17630815/

Wilco at The Cap: What to expect; listen to lohud playlists
Christopher Vaughan, Cvaughan2@lohud.com 11:25 a.m. EDT October 23, 2014
635494971144441331-2-TJN-1023-WILCO.JPG

(Photo: Zoran Orlic)

24 CONNECT 16 TWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

Competing against thousands of fellow fans to claim a concert ticket for your favorite band's show before it sells out can be tense. Contending for a seat at a Wilco performance is downright nerve-wracking.

The Americana rock band recently announced two dates at The Capitol Theatre on Oct. 28-29, but this wouldn't be a usual Port Chester debut. The pair of performances were a part of the Grammy-winning group's 20th anniversary tour.

The dates sold out nearly instantly, and a third concert was added Oct. 30. Those tickets disappeared quickly, too, says the manager of The Capitol, Tom Bailey.

"We expected Wilco fans from all over America and abroad," Bailey said.

If you were one of the fortunate Wilco devotees who clicked "purchase" at the right moment, then you can expect career-spanning material during An Evening With Wilco.

But if you have never delved into their catalog, or if you have wondered if those Beatles comparisons are legitimate, then we have a a collection of songs for you to sample that captures a band that is as pop savvy as they are ultra-literate and surreal. Here's our guide to the group's storied legacy.

3tjn1023wilco.jpg

Wilco will be in town for a three-night gig at The Capitol Theatre in Port Chester next week to mark its 20th anniversary.(Photo: Zoran Orlic)

A little background

Central songwriter Jeff Tweedy and his collective have expanded the rock genre's palate by deconstructing radio-friendly guitar riffs with layered atmosphere and swelling arrangements. Wilco has also released some of the catchiest indie songs of both the CD and MP3 eras.

The Chicago-based group has accomplished the near-impossible by garnishing billboard appeal and a lifelong love with critics as their most difficult record "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" is their best-selling. Wilco has survived multiple label disputes including one in which Warner Music Group's label Reprise refused to release the band's challenging fourth album "YHF" in 2001. Instead of fading into indie obscurity, the band streamed the album on their website for free. They were one of the first groups to self-release in the digital age, a do-it-yourself distribution method countless artists have replicated since. The band eventually settled at the Warners Bros.' more experimental-friendly label Nonesuch Records for the physical album, but created their own company dBpm for 2011's "The Whole Love."

Wilco incorporated, quickly shed and then promptly returned to genres like folk, country, punk and pop over eight albums and two full-length collaborations with songwriter Billy Bragg set to Woody Guthrie's unheard lyrics. Listen along by following lohud on Spotify.

The essentials: Wilco 101

You can immediately tell from the opening drone of "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" that this is no average rock song. Wait until the drums kick in. The tune unfolds into a pastiche of melody and orchestrated noise-cues. It's a modern classic, and so are these nine other songs that challenged the very idea of radio rock 'n' roll.

Deep-rooted tunes

Wilco formed after Jeff Tweedy and John Stirratt's first band, the early 90s alt-country darlings Uncle Tupelo broke up. Their twangy template has remained to this day. From the banjo heard on the early "That's Not The Issue" to the mournful lap steel pedal on 2007's "What Light," the band has used roots music as an emotional anchor for 20 years.

Use ear-plugs: Here are the loud ones

Wilco does deploy guitar solos, but that's not its only rock 'n' roll noisemaking tactic. The band's guitar riffs are layered with intricate electronic sounds and orchestrated instrumental feedback that add a curious depth to the music. Get yourself lost in the seven-plus minutes of "The Art Of Almost" and its breaking-at-the-seams structure. It will all make sense by the end.

The catchiest tunes you may not have heard of

Melody has been key since day one for Wilco. And yes, some of these songs have been on F.M. channels, but they certainly are not in rotation. They could be. Their most recent album features "I Might," an undeniable ear worm that sounds casual and cacophonously simultaneously. "Heavy Metal Drummer" is singalong inducing. Just try to get its lyrics out of your head. Go ahead.

Further listening

This fall, Tweedy released a collaborative album with his son Spencer on drums. It's not the first Wilco side-project; Tweedy has contributed to the delicate twang of Golden Smog, a band that has included members of The Jayhawks. (The influence of The Jayhawks' country sensibility can be heard on Wilco's early records. The folk rock vets can also be heard less than 20 miles from one of Wilco's performances as they will be playing at Tarrytown Music Hall Oct. 29.) Do a little digging and find how the rest of these performers relate to Wilco.

Twitter: @Chrisllvaughan

Share the article by using the hashtag #Wilco20 with our hyperlink.

Ok, so queue question - What time do you think people will start linning up for the three nights? I'm going to nights 2 & 3, got a hotel in Port Chester pretty close, so might spend whole day there and coming early. Will also be happy to meet some people from here and chat. 

Ok, so queue question - What time do you think people will start linning up for the three nights? I'm going to nights 2 & 3, got a hotel in Port Chester pretty close, so might spend whole day there and coming early. Will also be happy to meet some people from here and chat.

What Portchester hotel? I think I booked the Marriott in Rye, not far but maybe there are closer places.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We walked in at 8pm with no line and were within 10 feet of the stage on the left side by 8:05.  There were about 10 people trying to unload extra GAs at the front door at 8pm. You could have bought one for $10.  Definitely eat at Bartaco before the show.

For those attending tonight, do NOT park at the church across from the theatre.

We arrived at 4:50 and the lot was unattended (or so we thought). We walked across to the venue to ask the few folks in line about parking, and in the 5 minutes it took us to get back to the car, the attendant, who'd apparently been watching us, had his obnoxious buddy boot our car.

His friend tried to tell us he'd "gotten a call about our car and had to drive across town to get here". I told him that was bullshit. While we're arguing, the attendant pulls out his "lot is open" sign. It's now 5pm.

So basically, the guy watched us park and instead of taking our $20 he got to take us for $70 to remove the boot, all the while threatening to tow us. Then they had the gall to ask if we still wanted to park there! Pretty sure you could have seen my middle finger from space.

Anyway, there's free parking in a garage a couple blocks down near the movie complex.

By the way, the venue and the show were amazing, but that's for another thread.