Alpha Mike Foxtrot

When I get around to it I think I am going to buy the CDs.  I am sure they sound fine and have much more music on them.  If the LP version hangs around long enough I may get that, but not sure I will ever listen to it enough to make the cost and lack of tracks worth it.

LouieB

FYI the vinyl comes with all the tracks on the CDs, in 320 kbps form.

SA

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am aware that the LP has the files which would have to reside on my computer and sound way worse than the CDs played through my stereo.  I am pretty sure that the LP version will be around for a bit and I will probably get that sooner or later (I just ordered the CDs for less than 30 bucks.)  Kicking Television continued to be kicking around for sale for a couple years after it was released despite the scare that it would disappear.  At the price for the LPs I am sure they will also be available for a bit. It is mostly those of us hanging around here that are interested in the LP version and at the price the casual fan will not be out grabbing them. 

LouieB

I snagged the KT vinyl when it first came out and dropped some coin on it. I also was in a big "acquisition" phase, downloading as many shows as I could and seeking out all things Wilco. I've since gotten over that hump, and have probably spun the full KT box set once, maybe twice. It's still the best-sounding live Wilco release to me, but I just listen to the MP3 downloads that came with the vinyl box - which includes the seven extra tracks. The vinyl box just sits on a shelf.

I am aware that the LP has the files which would have to reside on my computer and sound way worse than the CDs played through my stereo.  I am pretty sure that the LP version will be around for a bit and I will probably get that sooner or later (I just ordered the CDs for less than 30 bucks.)  Kicking Television continued to be kicking around for sale for a couple years after it was released despite the scare that it would disappear.  At the price for the LPs I am sure they will also be available for a bit. It is mostly those of us hanging around here that are interested in the LP version and at the price the casual fan will not be out grabbing them. 

LouieB

I see. For others' reference, the files sound good played through my stereo. I'm very particular about audio quality, and without doing a direct comparison, I think it would be pretty hard to distinguish the sound of these from the CD tracks.

SA

I would also love to see the notes on the live tracks.  I'm a little disappointed that we didn't get a digital version of the live notes with the vinyl package.

Does anyone have the digital booklet for this album that they'd be willing to share?

I second this humble request. I have the vinyl box which comes with a DL of all the CD tracks, but it would be great to know where and when all these SWEET live versions were recorded, which presumably is info included in the digi-booklet.

SA

I just got my vinyl box in the mail yesterday.  

Really enjoying this set, even more than I thought I would.  I think between the TWEEDY album and this, I may be entering another deep wilco phase for a few months!

The 3rd record of this set is crazy great.  I think I will be playing that one often!

Word.

Yup, so cool to hear Wilco do (and Jeff sing) "Any Major Dude." "Cars Can't Escape" is a really great song. Alt. version of Hummingbird is very different and good. The first version of Handshake Drugs is bomb; I think I might agree with JT that it's even better than the one on AGIB.

And yeah, Sukierae is a GREAT album. I've had to keep myself from overplaying it. :-)

Happy listening,

SA

I just got my vinyl box in the mail yesterday.  

Really enjoying this set, even more than I thought I would.  I think between the TWEEDY album and this, I may be entering another deep wilco phase for a few months!

The 3rd record of this set is crazy great.  I think I will be playing that one often!

In terms of collating tracks for compilations, this is all good for folks who don't have them, but for those of us who bought them years ago, it is kind of redundant.  The Gram Parsons Tribute album is a good one (although the Wilco cut is one of my least favorites.)  However the other Gram Parsons tribute album has a killer Uncle Tupelo cut on it, but the rest of the album is lackluster.

Now that I have actually ordered this thing I can begin to listen to it too, whenever it arrives.

LouieB

In terms of collating tracks for compilations, this is all good for folks who don't have them, but for those of us who bought them years ago, it is kind of redundant.  The Gram Parsons Tribute album is a good one (although the Wilco cut is one of my least favorites.)  However the other Gram Parsons tribute album has a killer Uncle Tupelo cut on it, but the rest of the album is lackluster.

Now that I have actually ordered this thing I can begin to listen to it too, whenever it arrives.

LouieB

I only know of Return of the Grievous Angel.  Which I love,  Didn't know there was another one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_of_the_Grievous_Angel:_A_Tribute_to_Gram_Parsons

Conmemoritivo: Tribute To Gram Parsons

1. Christine's Tune - Steve Wynn

2. Cody, Cody - Musical Kings

3. The New Soft Shoe - Polly Parsons And Eden

4. November Nights - Coal Porters

5. Sin City - Clive Gregson And Boo Hewerdine

6. Brass Buttons - Something Happens

7. Big Mouth Blues - The Wellsprings Of Hope

8. Hot Burrito #2 - Pet Clarke

9. Blue Eyes - Uncle Tupelo

10. One Hundred Years From Now - Stephen McCarthy

11. Do You Know How It Feels To Be Lonesome? - Carla Olson

12. A Song For You - Peter Holsapple And Susan Cowsill With The Walkin' Tacos

13. Still Feeling Blue - Finger

14. Hickory Wind - Bob Mould And Vic Chesnutt

15. Return Of The Grievous Angel - Joey Burns And Victoria Williams

16. Juanita - Flor De Mal

17. $1000 Wedding - The Mekons

That's the one.  This earlier one was the alt-rock version and  Grievous Angel is the mainstream (Emmylou) version.  The earlier one suffers from some rather low points, whereas the latter one is mostly excellent.  I would imagine there are still used copies of the earlier one floating around.  It's certainly worth having if only for the UT Blue Eyes.  Edit - Yup, copies on Amazon for $2.33.

LouieB

Legal stream:

Stream disc one of Wilco's Alpha Mike Foxtrot exclusively on Best Fit

Premiere: Wilco - 'Alpha Mike Foxtrot'  Well, Disc two. . .

Stream Wilco's Alpha Mike Foxtrot: Rare Tracks 1994-2014 Disc 3

Listen: Wilco's Alpha Mike Foxtrot Disc Four 

Alpha Mike Foxtrot: Rare Tracks 1994-2014 sees its worldwide release tomorrow, December 1. Stream all 77 rare Wilco cuts on the 4-disc box set for just 36 hours starting tomorrow.

Schedule:
12.00pm GMT - The Line Of Best Fit (Disc 1)
2.00pm GMT - Clash (Disc 2)
4.00pm GMT - Uncut Magazine (Disc 3)
6.00pm GMT - The Quietus (Disc 4)

Somehow I was on the fence about buying this -- the fact that it was all music from the distant past and I'll probably never hear those versions live. Also, some mighty kind VCers have shared their demos/rarities with me. But hearing just a handful of songs on the live stream changed my mind. Too good to resist.

Somehow I was on the fence about buying this -- the fact that it was all music from the distant past and I'll probably never hear those versions live. Also, some mighty kind VCers have shared their demos/rarities with me. But hearing just a handful of songs on the live stream changed my mind. Too good to resist.

I think I am there, too, after listening to discs 1 and 2 today. Just added this to my Christmas/birthday list.

Given my family's anti-Wilco stance (they are pro-Taylor Swift), I'll likely be buying it for myself.