Alpha Mike Foxtrot Complaint Repository

There is no way to include in the other thread all the whining alongside the pesky commentary by those grateful and looking forward to it. Here's a home for you to offer your complaints, your imaginary should-have -been versions, your tedious comparisons to previous releases and your general commentary on how the band has failed you personally.

Have at it!

I'm actually looking forward to the vinyl release even though these songs are already available. I remember reading once that there were 17 or 18 songs recorded for Sky Blue Sky and I was hoping the remaining one or two would surface here. I think one of the songs is called Let's Fight. Does anyone know of that one?

yeah it was a b side to Thanks i get or something with the exception of Unlikely Japan One True Vine maybe one from TWL the b sides have been meh since AGIB days…did anyone hear the unreleased stuff they featured at Solid Sound? I thought I heard it was either like The Wilco Book stuff or something…maybe the band's next hiatus they'll put out some of the stuff we haven't heard...

While it's nifty that we'll finally have all of these tracks in one location, I always felt that the officially released B-sides were just the surface of the rich world of non-LP Wilco. Not only were some of my dream tracks not included (Studio versions of "Let's Fight", "My Words",  an early version of "Spiders", the alleged 10 extra songs from the Being There sessions), even surfaced but unreleased gems like "Venus Stopped the Train" failed to make an appearance.

If this is just the tip of the iceberg as some have optimistically said, then it's fine. I'm fine with this being the Past Masters before deluxe album reissues with the true deep cuts. If this is truly "Adios Mother Fucker" on archival Wilco, I'll find this release pretty bitterly disappointing. It's literally the least imaginative boxed set they could've come up with; all the officially released B-sides in chronological order.

This is basically charging us for a compilation that's been on torrents across the internet for years, vs. offering us "sunken treasure."

Fear not, ye of little faith! Rest assured that the Wilco boys and Tony M. have in place a long term marketing plan a la Neil Young. The sunken treasure will be brought up from the depths bit by bit for years to come.  I'm interested in hearing some of the real-time album length band improvisations on songs that tweedy makes up as he goes along.

I was hoping for several alternate versions of the drone from Less Than You Think. 

Along with multiple alternate noise outros from Poor Places and Handshake Drugs.

Actually, I think it would be great to hear the two distinct versions of Via Chicago that were ultimately blended into the album track.

I can barely contain my excitement just knowing that they found room to include ITMWLY in this box set. :stunned

did anyone hear the unreleased stuff they featured at Solid Sound? I thought I heard it was either like The Wilco Book stuff or something…maybe the band's next hiatus they'll put out some of the stuff we haven't heard...

I'm not sure what you're referring to?  I was at every SS, they did I Love My Label and some tunes from The Whole Love before it was released. Is that what you mean?

i think they were referring to the recordings that were available at The Loft installation. there was a listening station w/ a bunch of headphones and there were various things playing. i wish i had spent more time there...only listened for ~30 seconds or so.

they should release another box w/ that stuff.

i think they were referring to the recordings that were available at The Loft installation. there was a listening station w/ a bunch of headphones and there were various things playing. i wish i had spent more time there...only listened for ~30 seconds or so.

they should release another box w/ that stuff.

Right, got it.  We spent a bunch of time in the Loft installation, did a bunch of listening.  Fantastic stuff in there.  I'm a sucker for the gear, and the full wall photo at the end of the room. 

My only complaint is the exclusion of several songs from The Whole Love (Message From Mid-Bar, Speak into the Rose, Sometimes it Happens, I Got You (alternative soundtrack version), You Never Know (7 Worlds Collide Version), Art Of Almost (ALT Version), 

Black Moon (Alt.), I Might (demo), and Me Avivé)

I was really pleasantly surprised to see the cover songs and the live tracks. So many compilations like this don't include cover songs. And if you're going to include the live tracks, please include all of them. It includes 4 of the LP only bonus tracks from Kicking Television (Another Man's Done Gone, How to Fight Loneliness, Theologians, I'm a Wheel) and but excludes others. (Kamera, Just a Kid, Monday, Outtasite (Outta Mind))

Add in those 13 tracks and you've got another disc!

Don't get me know! I'll buy it the day of release!

My only complaint is the exclusion of several songs from The Whole Love (Message From Mid-Bar, Speak into the Rose, Sometimes it Happens, I Got You (alternative soundtrack version), You Never Know (7 Worlds Collide Version), Art Of Almost (ALT Version), 

Black Moon (Alt.), I Might (demo), and Me Avivé)

I was really pleasantly surprised to see the cover songs and the live tracks. So many compilations like this don't include cover songs. And if you're going to include the live tracks, please include all of them. It includes 4 of the LP only bonus tracks from Kicking Television (Another Man's Done Gone, How to Fight Loneliness, Theologians, I'm a Wheel) and but excludes others. (Kamera, Just a Kid, Monday, Outtasite (Outta Mind))

Add in those 13 tracks and you've got another disc!

Don't get me know! I'll buy it the day of release!

Well this sums it up pretty darn well...though I'm sure there's more that's missing, if we looked harder...but...hopefully there will be much more of this type of stuff in the years to come...as we all grow older amidst the wonders of Wilco- past, present & future...

yeah the Loft exhibition is what i was talking about…can anyone describe what you heard?

I listened to quite a bit of it, but there was much more that I didn't hear. What I heard varied between really interesting (to me) and kind of boring. It was snippets of sound--some lyrics, some recognizably musical, some more sonic experimentation--most less than a minute long. I picked up on some familiar melodies, which of course resonated with me more than the more abstract bits. I found the whole Loft installation fascinating and I hope they do some variation on it at the upcoming Solid Sound. It was a pretty popular exhibit and when there are crowds around you kind of want to move along after a reasonable period to allow others to enjoy the exhibit.

• 1 month later...

Nobody has added their imaginary-should-have-beens yet, so I'll give it a try. I listened to the vinyl set today, which I enjoyed, but some sides stray into slog territory. It's also a bit lopsided where after three LPs the fourth is still covering AGIB stuff, 2003 to 2011! So I've been tinkering with an imaginary vinyl playlist that's a more even and listenable 3 LPs. I took out all of the covers (with one exception), focused on non-album tracks (except the ones I didn't like) and padded it out with Whole Love extras.

LP1 1994 - 2000

1. Childlike And Evergreen (Demo)

2. Someone Else's Song (Demo)

3. Promising

4. Blasting Fonda

5. Don't You Honey Me

6. No More Poetry

1. At My Window, Sad And Lonely (Solo)

2. Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway [again] (Kahne remix)

3. She's A Jar (Austin Demo)

4. ELT (King Size Demo)

5. Student Loan Stereo

6. Via Chicago (Austin Demo)

LP2 2000 - 2005

1. A Magazine Called Sunset

2. Camera

3. Handshake Drugs (First Version)

4. Cars Can't Escape

5. The Good Part

6. Bob Dylan's 49th Beard

1. More Like The Moon