Wilco — 10/22/14, Nashville, TN (Ryman Auditorium; Night Two)

I definitely liked the closer in night one better. The Misunderstood singalong almost brought tears to my eyes it was so touching and emotional to hear Jeff play one of his songs at the Ryman completely unplugged, letting us experience his music the way they used to at the grand ole opry. Night two was awesome at the end as well, but Misunderstood just does it for me. 

I personally like the looks of that first night set list better (Cars Can't Escape! Magazine! Plus perennial favorites Via Chicago, Break Yer Heart and of course Misunderstood...), but both nights look pretty damn stellar. Wish they were making a Florida run, but I guess I will have a lot to look forward to next year when my wife and I venture northward for Solid Sound.

To all the people behind us in section 5, apologies for the banner signage.  I tried to keep them brief and not too obnoxious.  The "Happy 20th" got a nice nod, but the "Bull Black Nova" got waved off by Jeff at the start of the first encore... alas. 

Highlights for me on this second night

- It's Just That Simple.  Love hearing John sing that. 

- Candyfloss / I'm a Wheel in the first encore.

- 30 totally different songs from night 1.... 60 songs... a lotta Wilco.

Thanks to Sarah for talking me into hanging out by the stage door long enough to say Hi to Jeff and have him sign my poster that I had just bought at the Hatch print shop.  Very cool!

And MANY thanks to Sandy for suggesting Robert's for the after show hang out place.  I really enjoyed hanging out and spending time with Sandy, Katie (mine), Katie (the other one), Gina, Jack, Evan, Susan, Deb.... and of course, Pat, John, Glenn, Mikael, John's Dad & step mom, Pat's Dad... and a "near miss" with Nels that Katie managed to somehow beat me to.  Such a great evening and wonderful memories.

Vince

tas

To all the people behind us in section 5, apologies for the banner signage.  I tried to keep them brief and not too obnoxious.  The "Happy 20th" got a nice nod, but the "Bull Black Nova" got waved off by Jeff at the start of the first encore... alas. 

Highlights for me on this second night

- It's Just That Simple.  Love hearing John sing that. 

- Candyfloss / I'm a Wheel in the first encore.

- 30 totally different songs from night 1.... 60 songs... a lotta Wilco.

Thanks to Sarah for talking me into hanging out by the stage door long enough to say Hi to Jeff and have him sign my poster that I had just bought at the Hatch print shop.  Very cool!

And MANY thanks to Sandy for suggesting Robert's for the after show hang out place.  I really enjoyed hanging out and spending time with Sandy, Katie (mine), Katie (the other one), Gina, Jack, Evan, Susan, Deb.... and of course, Pat, John, Glenn, Mikael, John's Dad & step mom, Pat's Dad... and a "near miss" with Nels that Katie managed to somehow beat me to.  Such a great evening and wonderful memories.

Vince

tas

What a fun night!!! Definitely my peak Wilco experience. So great hanging out with all of you. Still in a little bit of disbelief that the night happened the way it did. Credit for Robert's must be shared with Deb, who had mentioned that she heard it was a good place earlier in the day :-)

WOW, what a great setlist and night.  The only disappointment was being in the balcony.  We had first row of the balcony and thought it would be perfect, but NO ONE stood up.  Finally, my wife couldn't take it during You Are My Face and we both stood, but no one followed.  Then again, later on we stood and some folks behind us got up, but just in our section.  Eventually we moved to the back of the balcony where we could enjoy ourselves and not be in anyone's way.  

So can anyone answer whether there is some unwritten rule about standing up there or was it just the crowd?  The lady next to us said no one stood on Tuesday either.

Nothing will probably ever top this show for me. Ever. 

WOW, what a great setlist and night.  The only disappointment was being in the balcony.  We had first row of the balcony and thought it would be perfect, but NO ONE stood up.  Finally, my wife couldn't take it during You Are My Face and we both stood, but no one followed.  Then again, later on we stood and some folks behind us got up, but just in our section.  Eventually we moved to the back of the balcony where we could enjoy ourselves and not be in anyone's way.  

So can anyone answer whether there is some unwritten rule about standing up there or was it just the crowd?  The lady next to us said no one stood on Tuesday either.

I think it depends on the crowd a lot. The first time I saw Wilco at the Ryman everyone in the balcony stood. Then in 2011 I got yelled at for standing in the balcony. 

You're at a rock show, you stand. Period. But that debate is not worth getting into.

We were in the balcony both nights in 2011 and the first night of this year.  It seems the balcony almost always sits until the encore.  Night 2 of this year, we were on the floor and stood the entire time.

Nothing will probably ever top this show for me. Ever.

It was a blast and you had two of the best seats in the house!

Oh also, I made this little guy for Jeff cos he used to have a pretty cool collection of vinyl toys, so I thought he'd like it, and it ended up on his amp. 10689492_10152551203379121_3054804855562141070_n.jpg

Seriously though, what a show. I don't know what else to say about it. Hoping some more pictures surface at some point. There were a lot of photographers there. 

Ya I was in the balcony both nights.  I was definitely willing to stand the entire time but It was my first time at the Ryman and I wasn't sure if it was appropriate.  The first night people were up and down the entire first set while the second night nearly everyone sat til the encore.  Also the crowd around me the first night seemed a lot more intoxicated the first night than the second.  Which actually worked considering the setlists and how the nights were presented. 

So cool either way!  Definitely heading back to the Ryman soon!  Wish I could for Isbell this weekend y'all enjoy that!

To echo everyone else, the second night at the Ryman was a fantastic show. It truly was a show for longtime fans. You know how we all have a list of songs that you hope they play ... and you feel lucky if you actually play one or two of them. Well, on Wednesday, for me at least, they played nearly all of them. I was truly blown away. It was the best show I've seen since the Residency.

The song that shocked me the most (even more than Its Just That Simple) was Spiders. I know it was mentioned earlier that it was an acoustic arrangement, but I don't think anyone mentioned that it was the original version of the song (at least the original live version). The arrangement was the same that they played live in 2002-2003 before A Ghost Is Born was released.

When I first saw them play Spiders at the Metropol (or M or whatever call it now) in Pittsburgh, I was astounded. The contrast between the delicate verses and the bombastic bridge really made the song stand out. And each time I saw it performed after that, I was more impressed and more excited to see how it would turn out on the next record.

Well (and this is only my opinion), I think they ruined it. When we first heard the stream of A Ghost Is Born on Wilco's website, my buddies and I thought the version of Spiders was a practical joke. I still hoped that was case right until the minute I popped in the CD and skipped to track 3.

While the final version has grown on me over time, it has never measured up (in my mind at least) to the version they originally played live. And I've always hoped to hear that version again. Prior to Wednesday, the closest thing I'd heard was the solo Tweedy version.

So, it was beyond amazing to hear that early arrangement of Spiders at the Ryman ... even if it was only for one night. However, I can't help but hope that the live version of Spiders on the rarities box is the early arrangement. And if not, I really hope they put the Ryman shows up on Roadcase.