Wilco 10/30/14 Capitol Theatre - Port Chester, NY

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caught the last two nights and, as others have noted, they were sublime.  My sister, who is a big Dead fan, came last night so their sing-along finish with Ripple was the cherry on that sonic sundae.  Can't get enough of that sweet stuff!

My only complaint, as Jeff noted, was the people who wouldn't SHUT THE FUCK UP (to quote Jeff).  At Wednesday night's show I shushed the seriously drunk woman next to me who was practically yelling at her date during Ashes of American Flags.  She glared at me and I just pointed at the stage.  The crowd at the back of the floor last night might as well have been somewhere else because they sure as hell weren't at that fantastic show taking place in front of them.  When I ducked back for a pee break, you could hardly hear the band over the full volume chatter.  I just don't understand it.  If you want to have a fun night of socializing with your friends, go to a bar.  If you want to be part of this kinetic, communal experience before you, then be there!

When I was following the Twitter feed last night, I saw a Tweet from a female who tweeted that she had just been "shushed" at the Wilco show.  I couldn't believe she was complaining about that, and wanted to Tweet her back to STFU, but decided not to get into a twitter war with some person i don't know about a show I wasn't even at.  But still, can you believe it? I'm going to find that tweet.  I have to say the balcony on Wednesday was very quiet, there were no talkers.  Everyone in rapt attention. The Tuesday night audience recording has too much audience chatter.

I went last night and had tix to Tuesday night as well, but couldn't go, and before the show was kicking myself for missing an amazing setlist. Well last night definitely made up for it, especially the end of the set with REaB->IGY->Outtasite. Now, I'm not the biggest Wilco-head and though I own all of their studio albums and Kicking Television, I don't remember the names of every song or what album they come from. Even so, the way they executed last night was mind blowing. This was the third time I've seen them, and this was on par with the first show I saw (the 2012 Terminal 5 show that they released as a Roadcase) if not better. I also know this was an amazing show because my girlfriend, who never really listened to them and was iffy about coming with me, really enjoyed the show. This show is going to force me to go back listen to the albums again and really start to take in all of their catalog. Just amazing.

Welcome to VC, Terp02. Those great Wilco shows will eventually have you coming here and reading setlists and reviews like the rest of us, wanting to live vicariously through the lucky souls who were there. :lol

Those are some really stellar looking setlists, too. Props to the band for knocking it out of the park again. Looking forward to Solid Sound next year, as I have not had a chance to see Jeff and the boys for a couple years now.

Have to agree of course with all the super positive comments about this run of shows. I was lucky/crazy enough to go to all 3 and knowing they would do very few if any repeats it sort of turns into one long show. Almost no bands play such a variety of tunes and so with Wilco it is always great to see them multiple nights in the same venue. It really reminds me of why i went to so many Dead shows back in teh day as they would play 5-9 shows just here at Madison Square Garden each fall and practically not repeat a single song. It makes all the difference in the world. As much as i love to see Springsteen, for example, he just never varies the set list as much as the Dead or Wilco, never mind the likes of great bands like the Rolling Stones and the Who would might change 1-3 or 4 songs a night on a tour. I remember the Wilco incredible shrinking tour in December, 2011 brought out 94 songs over the 5 night run, so it will be interesting to see what happens over 6 nights at the Riv and hope to be there for first 2 and last 2. 

When I was following the Twitter feed last night, I saw a Tweet from a female who tweeted that she had just been "shushed" at the Wilco show.  I couldn't believe she was complaining about that, and wanted to Tweet her back to STFU, but decided not to get into a twitter war with some person i don't know about a show I wasn't even at.  But still, can you believe it? I'm going to find that tweet.  I have to say the balcony on Wednesday was very quiet, there were no talkers.  Everyone in rapt attention. The Tuesday night audience recording has too much audience chatter.

I was right behind the soundboard tuesday night and could barely even hear "Promising" over the audience chatter, made sure to get there earlier the next two nights so i could be closer to the stage. Basically all of the chatter was coming from the back "bar" area, and people who were under the overhang. Crowd noise was noticeable every night, and unfortunately (unless they are roadcase released) will probably show through on all 3 nights recordings.

Thought last night was great.  Was in front of the overhang on the floor and didn't notice too much chatter; seemed like a pretty focused and appreciative crowd to me.

"Ripple" was obviously a surprise, but I'm even more surprised at no "Hoodoo Voodoo," especially with Halloween and all.  Thought for sure we'd get that as an encore last night.  Can't complain considering what we did get though.  Definitely the most unusual Wilco setlist I've seen live, owing to their desire not to repeat.  Very impressive.  Great to see them so relaxed and comfortable too.  I love that room and it looked like they do, too.  Hope they come back. 

http://instagram.com/p/uzfrmgxbUo/

According to the written setlist, looks like they cut Was I in your dreams and someone else's song. Ripple wasn't on there

Interesting... originally a 31 song set list, instead of the usual 30 so far this time out...

Ahh, all you youngsters. Years ago this board was littered with non stop complaints from fools about how Wilco never changed their setlists and were too predictable at shows. Tell em bbop. We also walked to school barefoot and uphill both ways around here back then. *Puffs pipe*

Ahh, all you youngsters. Years ago this board was littered with non stop complaints from fools about how Wilco never changed their setlists and were too predictable at shows. Tell em bbop. We also walked to school barefoot and uphill both ways around here back then. *Puffs pipe*

And when they release a new album they probably won't have such varied setlists because they'll have new songs to promote. We are just in an incredibly wonderful sweet spot right now, I think, with the 20th anniversary, coming back together after an extended break and no new material to drum into our collective consciousness. You can feel their joy at being together again. It's just a great time to be a fan!

And when they release a new album they probably won't have such varied setlists because they'll have new songs to promote. We are just in an incredibly wonderful sweet spot right now, I think, with the 20th anniversary, coming back together after an extended break and no new material to drum into our collective consciousness. You can feel their joy at being together again. It's just a great time to be a fan!

Well put.  I was thinking the exact same thing today.  My buddy and I often concede that we'll never see better shows than Irving Plaza in 1997 or the 3-plus hour Easter 2010 show at Lupo's in Providence, but then you see this run of shows with 89 different songs in three nights and realize they can still surprise and impress after 20 years. 

Plus they're promoting a rarities collection so we're hearing some deep cuts. You are so right. This is a great time to be a fan!

And we liked it!

I guess that's at least partly what still keeps me going. And not to say that the Port Chester run wasn't that, at times, but I guess I just don't subscribe to the notion that a run of shows with a little less variety can't also be great. Sometimes it's not what you play, but how you play it...

Totally agree. My favorite run is still the Kicking TV shows at the Vic. 4 nights with super similar setlists filled with almost all AGIB and YHF songs and almost no songs from their back catalog.

Totally agree. My favorite run is still the Kicking TV shows at the Vic. 4 nights with super similar setlists filled with almost all AGIB and YHF songs and almost no songs from their back catalog.

I agree with that also. Kicking TV run is my favorite stuff to listen to. Nels solo's on Muzzle during those runs could make you tear your hair out. I also agree that a AGIB and YHFT filled  show is my favorite also.

Now available for pre-order at Roadcase #39...in fact all 3 Port Chester shows, Knowxville, & all 6 Chicago Winterlude shows are now available as pre-orders, thus making up Roadcases #36-45...Happy Wilco's 20th Anniversary!!

Thanks again for sharing your work!

A couple things though - it is Port Chester, not "Portchester."

Outta Mind (Outta Sight), or the "alternate take," has been played before - certainly on the 2010 tour though Wilcobase lists more times.

For the Night One recording, NYC Taper called Nels Cline a "touring guitarist." He is very much a bonafide member of the band.

Looking forward to checking these out when I get home. I hope night 3's tape is as good as night 2! Thanks again =)

I lugged a bunch of equipment up to Westchester for three nights in a row in the middle of the week and then brought the recordings to everyone to download within a few days, along with beautiful photos and reviews, and that's your response?  To pick out a few mistakes (one isn't even a mistake -- I'm talking about MY never having seen Outtamind) including a fucking spelling mistake.   Wow.  Fuck you.

I lugged a bunch of equipment up to Westchester for three nights in a row in the middle of the week and then brought the recordings to everyone to download within a few days, along with beautiful photos and reviews, and that's your response?  To pick out a few mistakes (one isn't even a mistake -- I'm talking about MY never having seen Outtamind) including a fucking spelling mistake.   Wow.  Fuck you.

Oh my gosh, your work is most DEFINITELY appreciated!! I certainly can't speak for Yaz Rock, but the way I read his post was just that, as an obviously dedicated and professional taper, you would want to maybe make these tiny modifications in your description, just for the sake of getting the details 100% accurate. (I'm also not vouching for the accuracy of what Yaz posted--I don't know about the correct spelling of Port chester either,) Anyway, speaking for myself and many of my friends, we are all extremely grateful to you for everything you do, and I really don't think you were being dissed in any way--although I can understand that you might have read it that way.

Um. Wow. I didn't come out with a barrage of negativity. I said I downloaded the shows. I said I enjoyed the tapes. I said thanks. Twice, actually. I tape shows too. I know what goes into it, and I really appreciate it, especially when people post stuff with no turnaround time at all, as in this instance - that's where the hard work comes in, I know. So, really, thanks again.

So I offered some corrections, and I get a "Fuck You." No thanks.

Thanks though, to WilcoMe who obviously got my point.