Wilco — 12/5/14, Chicago, IL (Riviera Theatre) [Winterlude Night 1]

Live from the Fat Cat(!)...here was the complete setlist as played for Winterlude Night 1:

Via Chicago

Whole Love

I Must Be High

Handshake Drugs>

Wishful Thinking

Hotel Arizona

Either Way

Childlike & Evergreen (Jeff solo acoustic)

Country Disappeared

Forget The Flowers

Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway(again)

Hummingbird

On and On and On

One By One

A Magazine Called Sunset

Camera (yes, the capital C version)

How To Fight Loneliness

Theologians

I'm Always In Love

Heavy Metal Drummer

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Dawned On Me

------------------------------------

Hate It Here

Kingpin

Just A Kid

Outtasite (Outta Mind)

-------------------------------------

Outta Mind (Outta Sight)*

Art Of Almost (original arrangement)*

The Thanks I Get*

California Stars*

* — performed hootenanny style with Jeff and John on acoustic guitars, Pat on banjo, Nels on dobro and Mikael on melodica, Glenn on percussion

I loved the rework (original work?) on Camera. Fucking great. Enjoyed the show but in front of the sound board were a lot of people arguing and fighting. I mean literally almost coming to blows and just being generally nasty. Guess I won't go back there tomorrow night.

I loved the rework (original work?) on Camera. Fucking great. Enjoyed the show but in front of the sound board were a lot of people arguing and fighting. I mean literally almost coming to blows and just being generally nasty. Guess I won't go back there tomorrow night.

Sounds like there were idiots everywhere. I just don't get it.

This is H Stone hijacking Bbop's account. Great show, great company. So great to be at a GA show in Chicago!

This is Preferred B hijacking Bbop's phone at the Fat Cat. Great show; looking forward to tomorrow!

The guitar that Nels used on Camera was awesome. It looked like something that an '80s hair metal band would use. Jeff gave it a "Look at that!" Pat and John also had some rather unique instruments for Camera. I never thought I'd ever hear that rendition of the song, it was great.

heads up for all as part of tonights show will be broadcasted on Chicago Radio

Then get a taste for what's to come this summer by tuning in to hear the band live on XRT tomorrow at 9pm CT from Chicago's Riveria Theatre. This will be night two of Wilco's 6 Winterlude shows, a residency that is part of XRT's Concert for Kids series. Those attending the shows, we encourage you to bring a toy or book to donate to Chicago area children's hospitals.

Will be interesting if they play any of the same songs back to back. viva Chicago and California Stars Handshake drugs all on first night!!!!

Enjoy  I am living vicaroulsy through daughter tonight!!!! Also how crowded is the floor etc? Do you need to get in early to get sweet spot in center? and what time did they start last night?

The Art of Almost was nice, as was the Camera - loved John's 8 String bass- between that and Nels' guitar, it was very Spinal Tappish. Sounded great.

The Camera was well placed, too - the On and On and On was perfect. As noted by Tweedy - it was weird/different seeing him sing without a guitar so much last night.

Hummingbird

On and On and On
One By One
A Magazine Called Sunset
Camera (yes, the capital C version)

Good show, although I think I like Milwaukee better. Even so, bodes well for this being night one of six! Was very excited to hear Camera. Holding out hope that they do Pieholden Suite sometime during the run too. Noticed that the small group of balcony standers were back, so we got a lot of "sit down assholes" being yelled the first 30 min or so.

Great show.  Jeff was in fine spirits.  Not sure why the guy standing in front of me felt the need to hold up his phone/camera and video every freakin' song (kids these days!); but the band sounded great and, as others have said, Camera was other-worldly.  Can't wait to see what they play next Friday.  

Many have alluded to the fun Camera, the "campfire" end, and a few other treats but overall it was more of a sing along than many Wilco shows I've gone to. A few other thoughts:

- Nels didn't have a lot of his "show tunes" other than Handshake Drugs which he fucken ripped. I giggled during it - thought it was quite good. 

- lots of video and photos during the "campfire" section, but that makes sense. What a great end

- Magazine live is always fun. My wife loves the tune and I requested it so I get to say I asked for her. Who knows, maybe they did play it for her? ;)

- No problem with weed smoking, NONE. But, the amount of  it from the group in front of us and the different types of weed was impressive. The smells were almost overpowering at times. I guess Im getting older and with no cigarette smoke it really kind of catches you when it was there. 

- That group also had some interesting other smells coming from them. A pretty gassy group. 

- Couple people asked about crowd: We got there about 7 and it was still pretty empty. Ended up about even with the stage right bar back and a between jeff and nels and really never had a problem. Really filled up about 730 or so. Can't speak to the balcony. 

- 6 different posters. 

- I like the tour shirt - reminds me of the bears super bowl stuff from 1985 party b/c of the XX

- looking forward to tonight - hope you all enjoy it if you can't make it in person. 

Sometimes I fear we are using our "smart" devices to willingly handicap ourselves as humans.

Jeff mentioned in Raleigh how when someone pulled out Ipad and began to take pictures in Nashville and that

it no longer felt like a concert.

Too bad the don't play the Pre recorded message used on  EVENING WITH WILCO tour which stated no recording or phones to be used. Guess it sounded bitchy but at least it made folks more self conscious not to do that all night.

Jeff is mellowing with age!!!! But I do feel phones are used too much and interferes with the connection one has to the music.