Wilco — 12/5/14, Chicago, IL (Riviera Theatre) [Winterlude Night 1]

Any thoughts on Split Single? I've followed Jason Narducy's career since he used to open for Bob Mould solo shows as Jason & Alison.

I thought they were great! Jason was in a very good and chatty mood. I heard the first single from their new album when it came out a couple of months ago, and will definitely seek out the album now.

Another whirlwind 30 hour kamikaze Wilco trip is on the books. What a great escape. Although I moved away 10 years ago, this city is still sweet home Chicago. Friday night’s setlist was a happy trip down memory lane.  I was fortunate enough to stand at “my favorite spot in the entire world”: Front row, between Nels and Jeff. I hadn’t been to a Wilco show since Solid Sound 2013. WHAT??!!

The setlist order was nothing short of amazing; a perfect compilation of 30 songs spanning 20 years. Opening with Via Chicago set the tone.

The demo version of “Camera” was unfuckingreal. I seriously felt like I was on another planet. A really great planet.

“On and On and On” was incredibly moving and beautiful. As if Jeff’s heart and soul were bare for all to witness. Setlist tearjerker.

I have heard “California Stars” a bazillion times over the years, and last night’s version was my favorite rendition ever. I loved the banjo, and the harmonies were simple, clear and sweet.

Last night was near perfect. I can think of only 3 elements missing: (1) “Poor Places” from the setlist  (2) Susan Miller from the audience, and (3) about 20 other people from the front row. And this is the moment where I want to “tag” people like Pneyu, woman at the bar, la*, wafer, samorama, Sooz, Maudie, Trish, Hodie, Twisted Acres, Alison the Wilca, Walrus, Stardog, and all the rest of you lovely people. Most of these folks don't come round VC anymore. These shows are celebrating 20 years of Wilco. Personally, I am celebrating 20 years of a band that has affected my life in ways unimaginable. I have lifelong friends from all walks of life, many whom I would have never crossed paths with otherwise. 

Wilco shows are a 2.5 hour escape from the bullshit of life. Thank you for being my therapy, my drug, my anecdote…with a guaranteed 100% cure rate, every single damn time. Here’s to 20 more years.

Last night was near perfect. I can think of only 3 elements missing: (1) “Poor Places” from the setlist  (2) Susan Miller from the audience, and (3) about 20 other people from the front row. And this is the moment where I want to “tag” people like Pneyu, woman at the bar, la*, wafer, samorama, Sooz, Maudie, Trish, Hodie, Twisted Acres, Alison the Wilca, Walrus, Stardog, and all the rest of you lovely people. Most of these folks don't come round VC anymore. These shows are celebrating 20 years of Wilco. Personally, I am celebrating 20 years of a band that has affected my life in ways unimaginable. I have lifelong friends from all walks of life, many whom I would have never crossed paths with otherwise. 

Wilco shows are a 2.5 hour escape from the bullshit of life. Thank you for being my therapy, my drug, my anecdote…with a guaranteed 100% cure rate, every single damn time. Here’s to 20 more years.

:cheekkiss :wub  :thumbup

Well put, my dear! It's not the same as it was, but I for one am glad you're still willing and able to make a kamikaze run every once in a while...always great to see you. I think it's pretty cool that so many lasting friendships have been formed because of this band. That's definitely something worth celebrating!

Live from the Fat Cat(!)...here was the complete setlist as played for Winterlude Night 1:

Via Chicago

Whole Love

I Must Be High

Handshake Drugs>

Wishful Thinking

Hotel Arizona

Either Way

Childlike & Evergreen (Jeff solo acoustic)

Country Disappeared

Forget The Flowers

Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway(again)

Hummingbird

On and On and On

One By One

A Magazine Called Sunset

Camera (yes, the capital C version)

How To Fight Loneliness

Theologians

I'm Always In Love

Heavy Metal Drummer

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Dawned On Me

------------------------------------

Hate It Here

Kingpin

Just A Kid

Outtasite (Outta Mind)

-------------------------------------

Outta Mind (Outta Sight)*

Art Of Almost (original arrangement)*

The Thanks I Get*

California Stars*

* — performed hootenanny style with Jeff and John on acoustic guitars, Pat on banjo, Nels on dobro and Mikael on melodica, Glenn on percussion

Hoping for some help/clarification here...someone on the Steve Hoffman Forum is wondering exactly what the "original arrangement" in the encore version of "Art Of Almost" here refers to?

Hoping for some help/clarification here...someone on the Steve Hoffman Forum is wondering exactly what the "original arrangement" in the encore version of "Art Of Almost" here refers to?

Hasn't Jeff played it solo a couple of times? Quite slow and just really the first half of the song. 

Jeff said they were playing it as it originally was conceived (demoed?). The frenetic double-time album version evolved later, as I understand it. This performance was a stripped down, slower version of the song.

Opinions vary of course - but I like a great audience recording over a soundboard most times, esp at a show that I was at. You get more of a "room" feel.

But to your Roadcase point - my friend who normally tape shows, decided not to tape Thursday's show, because he knew he just could buy the Roadcase. He just wanted to enjoy the show and not have to worry about taping.

Still no audience recording yet for opening night  :ohwell

The Roadcase of it should be out any day now. They are usually released 2 to 3 weeks after the show, & today marks the two week mark... so I'm hoping before Xmas, but at least by the end of Yule (Jan 2nd).