Wilco — 12/8/14, Chicago, IL (Riviera Theatre) [Winterlude Night 3]

I knew from the time I woke up this morning that looking at Monday night's setlist would only make me wish that I had quit my job and gone to all 6 nights in Chicago.   Especially, after taking a 48 hour trip to Chicago from Vermont to catch the first two nights of Winterlude instead of feeling jealous I'm overwhelmed with the joy and not disappointment at how these shows simply continue to get better with each night. This is truly a magical period in the history of this band and its fans.  I was able to share the first two nights with someone really specially to me, who I dragged along to the Windy City for her first time ever seeing Wilco (2x)! Thanks to all of you for your insight and recommendations and thanks to the band for making my first ever trip to Chicago amazing.  Enjoy the last 3 nights and lots of love and prayers to the Tweedy Family, wishing Susie a speedy recovery. Hope to see you all in June !!!

Andy

Well, I don't know where to put this and I was hesitant to start a whole thread just to get all mushy and such - 

but I've gone and registered here, and figured I'd give a shoutout to everyone I met on Friday and Monday. (not sure what the rules are about throwing out first names, so I won't but you all know who you are). Those two shows were only my 3rd and 4th respectively, but they were the best so far and a lot of that had to do with all the fantastic people in the queue/on the rail. I left home on Thursday night expecting to have a good weekend but certainly didn't anticipate just how lovely everything would be. Never have I ever felt so welcome in a group of strangers. It was admittedly a little intimidating being around veteran fans, when in comparison I'm such a newbie. Maybe if I stick around long enough one day I'll be right there with you guys, with all the handclaps and alternate versions and whathaveyou. (to my embarrassment, I had absolutely no idea that Pieholden was a really big deal.) Of course, hopefully in the future I can stop grinning maniacally long enough to actually sing along. 

I really did have the most amazing time. Thank you guys so much. Let's do this again sometime! 

I really did have the most amazing time. Thank you guys so much. Let's do this again sometime!

-Cait (TX)

Hey Cait...it was nice meeting you as well! Glad you had a fun trip, and that you decided to chime in here. Here's hoping our paths cross again sometime...

instead of feeling jealous I'm overwhelmed with the joy and not disappointment at how these shows simply continue to get better with each night.

Andy

Yup, I know the feeling. Pearl Jam recently played my two favorite albums in entirety - ten-fifteen years ago I might've been a bit jealous for not being in attendance, but now I am thrilled that they did this "one off" (er, two off?) even if I wasn't there. It's great for the band to feel the freedom to do something unannounced like that, and great for all the fans.  I've been to plenty of epic shows by now and will surely get some other special gigs down the line.

The Riviera reviews have been great to read so far and it is awesome to see what Wilco is doing for this hometown anniversary run. I suppose this would have been as good a time as any to go see some Chicago shows, and check a bunch of rarities off the list, but I just did the Port Chester run, and was quite happy with that. It's fun to check in every morning this week and see the previous night's setlist. 

It's a real good time to be a music fan, these days.

Echoing what everyone has said about it being a special show, I felt so moved that I was thisclose to tears on my car ride home afterward. SO. GOOD.

I always wished after the residency that I'd made it to those shows, what with the Total Pros and all of the other magic that happened back then. I really felt like I got some of that on Monday. It was a beautiful end to a super-mega-amazing-awesome long weekend!

-Cait (TX)

Indeed, Cait, let's. 

I'm torn on the 3 shows that I've heard and that are available (thanks tapers!), but this one stuck out to me the most on the single fact that Sunken Treasure (album version) and Misunderstood were played so close together and so early. I don't recall this in any show I've seen or any setlist I've read on here.

Wait! OK. At the June 2005 Agganis Arena show in Boston Sunken Treasure was played (acoustic style) then Spiders and an encore and back out with Misunderstood. I was at that show.