Wilco — 12/9/14, Chicago, IL (Riviera Theatre) [Winterlude Night 4]

Holy cows in the corn that was a phenomenal show.  I've seen a lot of Wilco shows, but that one ranks right up there with the best.  The setlist is pretty nigh flawless and packed with many of my personal favorites.  You Are My Face!  Bob Dylan's Beard!  Muzzle of Bees!  The Lonely 1!  I'm a Wheel!  And the gorgeous rendition of Thirteen...  Also, if you are looking for rarities, look no further -- see setlist above. What a crowd, too!  It was quite the frenzy by the end of the main set.  I'm going to need to sleep on this before I can even process everything that happened.  

Thanks, though not necessary! Just had to park the thread for a few minutes so I had time to type.

Just ribbing you. Can't tell you how much I appreciate your set lists posts after the show. Cheers!

I can't wait to make a playlist of all the acoustic mini-sets when this run is over, and basically have a double-disk acoustic wilco live album.

Brilliant call!!! Between the Port Chester shows & Winterlude it'll be a pretty formidable set list!!!

For my own personal tastes, tonight was one of my favorite Wilco shows. So many crazy choices that were exactly what I wanted to hear. (I'm an unabashed fan of Shake it Off, damn it.) I think the first encore was my highlight. Never thought I'd see Let's Not Get Carried Away again, let alone followed by Kicking TV! I have a feeling Glenn doesn't relish his extended drum solo spotlight in LNGCA, but he carried it off spectacularly. Also, tonight's crowd reaction to Impossible Germany was probably the most enthusiastic I've ever heard (at least from a non-European audience?) Credit to Nels for great solo. The whole band sounded excellent.

Glenn's extended drum solo on Let's Not Get Carried Away was truly something to behold. Somehow I don't think Jeff was really in any hurry to resume the song...haha. Hard to believe they hadn't done LNGCA since late 2006.

From banter corner, Jeff had a couple choice bits but perhaps none after Message From Mid-Bar when he talked about how "hate will keep us together" and how he believed it was more important that we hate the same things than love the same things, or something to that effect and mentioned hating racism. Then alluding to a lyric from the song, "Hate will save the dolphins, I stand by that."

I had a good time at the show last night. For my taste, the setlist focused on too many obscure songs from the least popular Wilco albums. It is hard for me to believe Wilco would play Message from Mid-bar before playing Sunloathe. A new way of looking at it...they only played 3 songs off of What's Your 20 (I'm not counting the hootenanny set). That said, I commend Wilco for taking on this setlist and they did a great job executing against it. Highlights: Kicking TV, Wheel, Lonely 1, She's a Jar.

I can't believe they played Thirteen last night and I missed it! I requested it for Monday night... they played it one night too late. According to my quick research, it looks like it's the first time the full band has ever played it, though Tweedy has played it at solo shows a few times. I just love their version of that song... was it as great as I imagine it in my head? Can't wait to hear the Roadcase.

Another awesome show.  Was really glad to see I'm a Wheel and Kicking TV show up, plus electric Too Far Apart, Say You Miss Me and LNGCA.  Was that the first time they've done Shakin' Sugar post-Jay?  I always kind of thought that was more a Jay song, so that was a very nice surprise.  Really bummed that there are only two nights yet, but also excited to see what they're going to play.

This is so much fun reading the setlists and everyone's feedback on the shows. Me thinks I'll be downloading this run and will use these shows (along with AMF) to bring Wilco back into my listening rotation.

A note about the "This is 40" arrangement of "I Got You." Long before Wilco recorded it for the film soundtrack, it was the "Shakey's Pizza" arrangement as played by Jeff and Jay way back in the day. At least that's what Jeff calls it on the lovely bootleg recording of his and Jay's session for C'Est What in Toronto on 11-20-1996. Check it out over at the [recently redesigned!] sooutoftune.org

Also a neat version on YouTube: http://youtu.be/YUCuJKRDuFk