St. Augustine May 1, 2015 - Sec. 103 -1 extra

I've got one extra ticket for Friday May 1, 2015 - St. Augustine. Section 103, Row C. $45.

It is an actual ticket being mailed to me. Would prefer to mail it, but could meet at venue.

Email me: rob@yazcountry.com

• 2 weeks later...

I've got one extra ticket for Friday May 1, 2015 - St. Augustine. Section 103, Row C. $45.

It is an actual ticket being mailed to me. Would prefer to mail it, but could meet at venue.

Email me: rob@yazcountry.com

Traveling down to what's been alleged to be the worst-sounding venue in America, Rob? You must have the Wilco fever! ;)

Is that really alleged? Maybe it explains why not many good acts have come to town since Wilco played back in 2012. The usual fare at that venue is washed-up rock: Heart, ZZ Top, Hall & Oates, etc.

I was flipping through some artist's memoir in a bookstore recently — for the life of me, I can't remember which one but it was one of those types of "legacy" classic rock acts of the sort you mentioned — and there was a section of the book that was sort of a show-by-show diary of a given tour and the writer said as much in the entry on the St. Augustine Amphitheater show. He mentioned something about how all the concrete just made the sound bounce around all over the place. But he added that despite the poor sound, the crowd was particularly good so it turned out to be a good show.

I don't know that the sound alone would cause many acts from not playing down that way; I've been to plenty of awful-sounding sheds all over. But I just think it's more due to being in Florida and a lot of bands being reluctant to tour there in general for whatever reason (cultural, economic, demographic, etc).

I'm on their email list, since I went to the 2012 Wilco show there, and it actually looks like they have some good acts lined up for 2015: Lucinda Williams, Iris DeMent, Al DiMeola, Neutral Milk Hotel (already sold out)...not just classic rock acts by a long shot.

I'm on their email list, since I went to the 2012 Wilco show there, and it actually looks like they have some good acts lined up for 2015: Lucinda Williams, Iris DeMent, Al DiMeola, Neutral Milk Hotel (already sold out)...not just classic rock acts by a long shot.

All these shows are at the Ponte Vedra Concert Hall. A converted church, about 30 mins north of St. Aug.

A few years back, there were lots of great shows at the Amphitheatre: the Decemberists, Vampire Weekend, Flaming Lips. The guy that booked these shows no longer works for the venue.

All these shows are at the Ponte Vedra Concert Hall. A converted church, about 30 mins north of St. Aug.

A few years back, there were lots of great shows at the Amphitheatre: the Decemberists, Vampire Weekend, Flaming Lips. The guy that booked these shows no longer works for the venue.

Aha, my bad. I saw Bruce Cockburn at Ponte Vedra. The Wilco show was St. Augustine. I'm not up that way too often, as it's about a 3-4 hour trek.

I figured out how my mistake came about, though: I'm on the mailing list for St. Augustine area, either the Ponte Vedra hall or St. Augustine Amphitheatre. When they send you a list of upcoming shows, it looks like it's for one venue. Only when you click on the link for a show does it send you to the site where you can see which venue it's at....confusing!

Aha, my bad. I saw Bruce Cockburn at Ponte Vedra. The Wilco show was St. Augustine. I'm not up that way too often, as it's about a 3-4 hour trek.

Just in case you're interested....

A few years back, a guy named Ryan Dettra ran a club here and brought some terrific smaller acts to St. Augustine (Ted Leo, Portastatic, the Thermals were some highlights for me) and then he worked for the County and brought great bigger acts to the Amphitheatre (including Wilco in 2012). As it turns out, he wasn't cut out for the stifling bureaucracy of county government. So now he and some others run the St. Augustine Distillery, making artisanal booze -- this may make your list of things to do in St. Augustine!

http://www.staugustinedistillery.com

Cheers!