Your favorite things that ever happened at a concert you attended

Having met Mick Jagger 3 nights before. ( seated next to us in a small Italian Boston Restaraunt he was sitting with Peter Wolfe whom Is a very social person In the right environment, anyway we spoke casually for a few minutes . i said to Mick I am not making a request, but have you played. Memory Motel on the Tour yet? ( tour was ending soon ) he had not, I said well perhaps we will get a little magic and smiled ? 2 nights later he dropped the song right in front of my Wife and I after the show we were both given a handful of picks. Nice that he remembered.

That is a cool story - not something you'd expect, given Mick's public image/persona. And Memory Motel is a fantastic, overlooked song of theirs.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrived early for an Autumn Defense show at some coffee house in San Diego in 2005 - like four hours early. The coffee shop and the actual venue were essentially separate from one another by a wall - a different door/entrance, etc. I was sitting with my brother, flipping through a local weekly entertainment paper and saw that Alex Degrassi was playing somewhere nearby. I got up from our table (we were the only patrons) and went to ask the guy pouring espresso for directions but he hadn't a clue as to where the venue was where Alex was playing (it was a church). I turned around and saw two familiar faces - John Stirratt and Pat Sansone - standing there smiling as I, in a very surprised manner, said "hey I know you guys". They returned my greeting and asked me what I was looking for, as if they were familiar with the area. I showed them the paper and John said "I don't know but we can try to help you find out" and Pat said "Yeah come with us". We went next door to the venue and both of them went around asking people if they knew where this church was...John found someone who worked at the venue who knew and introduced me. I thanked them, grabbed my brother and went on our way. We later returned for the Autumn Defense set, which we both thoroughly enjoyed. But the highlight of my night was how kind the two fellows whom I had only seen on stage were to some strange dude in a coffee shop.

Standing outside a Banyan show in Long Beach having a smoke (back when I used to smoke) and Stephen Perkins came out to bring his kit in and ran into some friends who were standing out there with me. They started talking and lit a joint. I joined the conversation after taking a hit off the joint Perk had passed to me. Later, after the show, I was at the bar ordering a drink and Nels walked up. I bought him a shot and we chatted for a bit. I mentioned that I had seen him play with Wilco earlier that spring at Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa and he spoke at length about how special the experience was for the whole band to play that venue. Banyan killed it that night, as usual. Nels, Watt and Perk at their best.

August 1st, 1992. Irvine Meadows Amphitheater. Jerry Garcia Band. It was Jerry's 50th birthday and the first time I had seen JGB in 3 years. The energy around the venue was high for Jerry's birthday and I was there with my then wife, who had seen the Dead numerous times but never JGB. We nestled in at the front of the lawn with our blanket and made ourselves cozy. I asked my wife what she wanted to hear that night and she said "wonderful World", which was her favorite song. I laughed and, unfamiliar with Jerry's setlists for the previous couple years, told her there was no way they were going to play that. She responded with "You never know". I again laughed and joked of all the things I would do for her if they played her favorite song. The show went on. Set one was great and included and fun "Breadbox". "Shining Star" opened set two and both of us were beyond pleased. But when they broke into "Wonderful World" to close the show we were both floored. Neither of us thought it was possible and here they were, playing her favorite song of all time. We were filled with immense joy. Later I discovered that "Wonderful World" had been in the repertoire for the past year but it didn't matter to us. Twas a very special evening.

I got up from our table (we were the only patrons) and went to ask the guy pouring espresso for directions but he hadn't a clue as to where the venue was where Alex was playing (it was a church). I turned around and saw two familiar faces - John Stirratt and Pat Sansone - standing there smiling as I, in a very surprised manner, said "hey I know you guys". They returned my greeting and asked me what I was looking for, as if they were familiar with the area. I showed them the paper and John said "I don't know but we can try to help you find out" and Pat said "Yeah come with us".

I can picture it. I've never met Pat but he seems just as generously nice as John proved to be in a somewhat awkward moment I had with him (the awkward was all me).

Standing outside a Banyan show in Long Beach having a smoke (back when I used to smoke) and Stephen Perkins came out to bring his kit in and ran into some friends who were standing out there with me. They started talking and lit a joint. I joined the conversation after taking a hit off the joint Perk had passed to me. Later, after the show, I was at the bar ordering a drink and Nels walked up. I bought him a shot and we chatted for a bit. I mentioned that I had seen him play with Wilco earlier that spring at Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa and he spoke at length about how special the experience was for the whole band to play that venue. Banyan killed it that night, as usual. Nels, Watt and Perk at their best.

I got a chance to talk to all three, as well, before and during break at a show a bunch of years ago around here. Willie Waldman a bunch, too. Banyan plays around here (Denver) quite a bit. Banyan recently played after the Jane's show, too.

1.    My future wife was in love with Diana Ross in college.  She was playing at Sunrise Musical Theatre.  So we went without tickets (20 year olds).  We went up to box office and they gave us like 3rd row center (on the isle).  When Ms. Ross does "Touch me in the Morning" or Maybe it was "Reach out and Touch Somebodies Hand".  either way, she came out in the the first few rows and she hugged my wife....tears of joy from her and I have to admit it was pretty cool.

2.   Wilco show in Tampa (Pretty sure it was same show as Mr. Heartbreak talked about in this tread).  First wilco show with my son, who was around 12 at the time.  At one point Jeff saw my son and asked him if he was doing OK and if he could see (we were about 5 rows back).  Then said that glad he has some younger fans and they need younger fans..

3.  Live Aid.  Before internet when everyone knows everything before it happens.   Got there around 4 am because we had GA, that was too much so we ended up in bleachers (fiberglass, our asses had glass in it for weeks after).  Madonna comes out the same week she was in Playboy and Penthouse (old photos before she got famous) and she said...I ain't taking shit off today.  There were rumors that Springsteen would be there....Led Zeppelin????  When the sun was setting and Led Zeppelin came out it was magical.  When plant said "does anyone remember laughter"   Best concert moment ever...for a kid that was born 15 years to late to see the "real thing".

Many other great times at concerts bot today those stick out.

I got a few I guess...some I have mentioned prior but here it goes

1. Wilco, Natalie Merchant Ives Center 2000- I went only for Wilco. After the show was over I walked by the tour buses. Band was hanging out and I was talking to Jeff for a while. After a while he said I'm heading out going to try and find my car. I proceed to tell I was leaving too and offered to help him find his car and he obliged. He used to tow his car around on the back of the bus back in the day in case he needed to do something during the day..

2. Guster Penn State 1998? or 1999- I used to work security, publicity and a bunch of other positions for the PSU concert committee. Some of the perks were we got to set up and hang with the bands. Being on the committee I helped land the show and helped land the opener Jump Little Children who I liked quite a bit back in the day. I stopped by earlier in the day and the bands bus was already there 14 hours ahead of the show. I saw Ryan jump out of the bus and asked them if the band needed anything (food, directions etc) He proceeded to say is there anywhere to play basketball or racquetball etc I showed him where he could get the racquetts etc and he said hey you want to play a game?! I proceed to play Ryan in three games and lost all 3. prior to playing I said If I win you got to play Getting Even live..even though I still lost they later played an abridge version of it later stating during the show "We don't like this song but we are going to play it anyway"

3. George Clinton Penn State 2000- Got to hang on George Clintons tour bus...enough said

4. Lisa Loeb- Central Park NYC 2002? I had seen Lisa twice this was the second time. The first time I saw her someone requested a song called Jake..She said no one ever request that song that is so sweet but I can't play it...I dunno why but the next time I saw her I held up a sign for Jake. After she saw it she said WOW no one ever request it and I have never played it but I am going to try. I was embarrassed for two reasons...1 she pointed at me and everyone looked once she saw my request and 2 I didn't even know the song lol

5 Elbow Penn State 2002- Outdoor concert. I read about them on NME and knew just a little about them and they were playing a free outdoor festival. There was maybe 30 people there. They played this song Newborn and when they reached the high point of the song the sky opened up and poured down like a monsoon. It was the most surreal concert moment to this day and I still get chills everytime I hear that song now.

I am sure I will think of plenty more but this is a start

4. Lisa Loeb- Central Park NYC 2002? I had seen Lisa twice this was the second time. The first time I saw her someone requested a song called Jake..She said no one ever request that song that is so sweet but I can't play it...I dunno why but the next time I saw her I held up a sign for Jake. After she saw it she said WOW no one ever request it and I have never played it but I am going to try. I was embarrassed for two reasons...1 she pointed at me and everyone looked once she saw my request and 2 I didn't even know the song lol

someone really likes librarian glasses.

1. Wilco, Natalie Merchant Ives Center 2000- I went only for Wilco. After the show was over I walked by the tour buses. Band was hanging out and I was talking to Jeff for a while. After a while he said I'm heading out going to try and find my car. I proceed to tell I was leaving too and offered to help him find his car and he obliged. He used to tow his car around on the back of the bus back in the day in case he needed to do something during the day..

I was at the show too, and also met the band at their tour bus =)   I think there were only six Wilco fans in attendance, all of whom were at the bus.   I was too cool for autographs or asking for photos back then, but at least i still remember it well!

I was at the show too, and also met the band at their tour bus =) I think there were only six Wilco fans in attendance, all of whom were at the bus. I was too cool for autographs or asking for photos back then, but at least i still remember it well!

I got a pic with Jeff at that show and a signed cd..maybe that is you in the far right lol

Jeff.jpg

Wilco signed.jpg

Prince was in Vegas playing a show at the Empire Ballroom in prep for his stint at the Rio. Probably only 300 or so in attendance. We posted up behind a reserved half-circled booth. The place filled to capacity except this booth in front of us. Minutes before the show starts, in walks Velvet Revolver (san Scott) and sits right in front of us. At one point, Prince is really going for a shred on the guitar and I tell Slash, "He knows you're here!!" Slash turns around, smiles and the lights sparkled off his teeth like that gum commercial. Bling!!!

it wasn't during a concert (it was a festival and this was before bands got on for the day), but it was cool that i got to do bong hits w/ Al Cisneros when the test pressing of the _Dopesmoker_ reissue was delivered and we listened to it on his portable turntable that he brought on tour with him.

that's awesome.

Not me, but thanks for trying! That's awesome to have a photo with Jeff from way back when.

I got a pic with Jeff at that show and a signed cd..maybe that is you in the far right lol

• 2 weeks later...

In 2013, I was given a ticket to Jim James solo debut show at Grimey's in Nashville. There was 100 people in the building, total (band, staff, audience, etc). Carl (MMJ guitarist) opened with a solo set. Jim James and his other band came out and played their album all the way through for the first time.  The Encore is what mattered though. Carl came back out and they played a mini-MMJ set to ~80 fans in a room smaller than my apartment. 

Forecastle 2012 (in general, because MMJ and Wilco headlined), but mainly because MMJ were supposed to play a soundcheck show for Roll Call members, but it got rained out, so they played an acoustic show under the overpass that runs behind the great lawn in Louisville. So basically the whole band just stood in a circle, which was surrounded by a bigger circle of their fans. It became known as the Under The Overpass show, and it was amazing.

Nothing is ever gonna top my very first Wilco show which was in NC. It was a complete surprise until the tickets showed up a couple weeks before the show (I was 18 at the time, fresh outta high school, had no job, and my dad surprised me with the tickets, he got them from a fellow VC'erBrianne and I had no idea).

Anyway, tix came in the mail and I was already excited beyond all belief then I got an email from another VC'er jhammwho told me if I wanted to get anything signed I should bring something. I figured maybe we'd wait by the bus our something. So, we roll into town and meet this jhamm and his two friends that came all the way from the westcoast. We're on the sidewalk chatting, and he says "oh by the way...this is for you," and hands me a backstage pass. I flipped out a little bit....actually...a lot. The show starts and is so great. So great. They opened with "misunderstood" and about 3/4 of the way through the main set jeff says "we'd like to say hello to SarahC, where's Sarah?" Some girl in the front yells and jeff says "is she over here?" And I start yelling from the opposite end of the theatre, "over there?" Jeff points in my direction and my dad whistles, this look of absolute disbelief on his face. I'm holding my hands on top of my head like "what the crap!!" Jeff says "I don't know where she is, but hi Sarah glad you could finally make it to a wilco show! I am stunned. The show ends and we go backstage and end up spending about a half hour with the band. I am never ever going to forget it. Jeff was so nice to me, and really listened when I told him my difficulties about playing guitar and told me to keep at it. Every time I see him he still remembers me too which is crazy. I'm still sort of floored that Brianne, jhamm, and my dad all kinda conspired to make it happen... Probably other VCers helped too. Just amazing.

Nothing is ever gonna top my very first Wilco show which was in NC. It was a complete surprise until the tickets showed up a couple weeks before the show (I was 18 at the time, fresh outta high school, had no job, and my dad surprised me with the tickets, he got them from a fellow VC'erBrianne and I had no idea).

Anyway, tix came in the mail and I was already excited beyond all belief then I got an email from another VC'er jhammwho told me if I wanted to get anything signed I should bring something. I figured maybe we'd wait by the bus our something. So, we roll into town and meet this jhamm and his two friends that came all the way from the westcoast. We're on the sidewalk chatting, and he says "oh by the way...this is for you," and hands me a backstage pass. I flipped out a little bit....actually...a lot. The show starts and is so great. So great. They opened with "misunderstood" and about 3/4 of the way through the main set jeff says "we'd like to say hello to SarahC, where's Sarah?" Some girl in the front yells and jeff says "is she over here?" And I start yelling from the opposite end of the theatre, "over there?" Jeff points in my direction and my dad whistles, this look of absolute disbelief on his face. I'm holding my hands on top of my head like "what the crap!!" Jeff says "I don't know where she is, but hi Sarah glad you could finally make it to a wilco show! I am stunned. The show ends and we go backstage and end up spending about a half hour with the band. I am never ever going to forget it. Jeff was so nice to me, and really listened when I told him my difficulties about playing guitar and told me to keep at it. Every time I see him he still remembers me too which is crazy. I'm still sort of floored that Brianne, jhamm, and my dad all kinda conspired to make it happen... Probably other VCers helped too. Just amazing.

Nice story thanks for sharing it, nice of your Dad and friends to get you there.

At a small Radiohead show in the 90s when they were touring for The Bends I was on some illicit substance that shall remain nameless and I peaked during Fake Plastic Trees just as Thom Yorke sang the line "If I could only be what you wanted..."  Truly a beautiful transcendent moment.

1974.  Electric Ballroom in Atlanta. Went to see Cowboy, a group out of Macon. Please Be With Me, covered by Clapton, was there most noted song. Played a few songs and then they brought out some "friends", the Allman Brothers! Place was empty before and we were sitting in front of the stage, had our own table .Word got out and it got jammed pretty quickly. During "You Don't Love Me", my friend yelled out "Play All Night" at the appropriate time, matching live at the Fillmore.  Gregg looked over, smiled and nodded his head and they literally proceeded to do just that....

The Stooges at The Orpheum, 2007. this was the 2nd time seeing them, and it was a better venue than the first (first was inside the courtyard of Dublin Castle; this was an old seated theater). the seats didn't matter, since no one used them. we had great seats....3rd row center, right on the aisle. at the third song, security said he was gonna jump off the stage and onto the aisle, but he changed flight plans and landed in the seats to my left

p27812127-4.jpg

a few songs later, he would jump down to the aisle, and soon i was staring face to face w/ the legend, spit on his bare chest and screaming lyrics right into my face. electric can't begin to describe it. later on, he would urge people to get on stage during "Real Cool Time" and there was such a surge that some of the seats were collateral damage

p159028393-4.jpg