Should I get rid of my CD's?

Should I get rid of my CD's?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should I get rid of my CD's?

So I was cleaning my apartment today and getting rid of a lot of clutter. Then I came to my CD's. I have about 200+ sitting on the bottom shelf of a book case in my living room. There isn't really a need for the space they are taking up, but I haven't used them in over 2 years either. My wife would also like to see them gone. I have a record store a block away that I might be able to unload them on as well. 

So should I get rid of them? I almost never buy new CD's anymore, mostly just stream through Spotify or Pandora so I hope not to have this problem again in a few years. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was cleaning my apartment today and getting rid of a lot of clutter. Then I came to my CD's. I have about 200+ sitting on the bottom shelf of a book case in my living room. There isn't really a need for the space they are taking up, but I haven't used them in over 2 years either. My wife would also like to see them gone. I have a record store a block away that I might be able to unload them on as well. 

So should I get rid of them? I almost never buy new CD's anymore, mostly just stream through Spotify or Pandora so I hope not to have this problem again in a few years.

Unless it's something you really have no interest in anymore, I wouldn't sell them. Maybe take them out of their cases and store in a more space saving way. But sell--NEVER. Then again, I have a slight hoarding problem....

My family thinks I'm crazy, but not only do I still purchase CD's (regularly), but when I download albums I will still burn a physical CD and find the artwork for the jewel case. I have issues.  

A subject near and dear to my heart.

I am old enough to remember when CDs first came around, and they were touted as being THE future. No one yet had a thought about song files on hard drives. I bought quite a few over the years and have unloaded quite a few as well.

I still have plenty of CDs I could live without, and will no doubt get rid of them at some point. BUT I also have CDs I will never get rid of, particularly my large classic jazz collection. If my external hard drive and my computer both crapped out (like in a fire or a major electrical storm), I would have to replace all that music. No thanks. Some things are worth having two copies of: a set of digital files to rely on, but the good old CD to play in the car or to re-use in case something happens to the digital files.

I enjoy mine in the car and the kitchen primarily ..

So yes I keep mine.

While I do most of my listening at work and in the car (where I listen to mp3s), I just like having the physical artifact. I feel more connected somehow.

And, since I have no time at home to sit down and do any real listening, I buy CDs.

I have converted them all multiple times multiple hard drives and iPods and most is also in the cloud. so I am not really worried about losing the music.

I also have a small vinyl collection, but rarely break those out.

I'll take 'em off your hands.

How much? Haha.

I still buy CDs but immediately burn them to a hard drive in lossless format.  I do all my home listening via the hard drive/computer linked to the stereo.  It was time consuming when I first ripped my CD collection to digital but it's so much more convenient - particularly because I can now browse and control the stereo from my smart phone (using JRiver media player on the computer and the JRemote app on the iPhone).  I find myself listening to a lot more music now than when I had to mess with CDs.

Still use CDs in my car though.

I'm trying to make friends with the digital age.  I'm not going vinyl.  I basically kept (and still buy) music from my top tier artists.  The second tier stuff I've ripped and sold and buy online.  It's so damn easy.  Alas, I really miss the good old days of record stores and not having every tune ever at my finger tips.  I think I listened more intently and was more intentional in my choices.  However, at a certain age, it's really hard to be blown away at anything anymore.  I'll never get the rush of hearing Black Dog again because I'll never be 15 again.  I do still love a nice package like the last Wilco album.

Not only would I not get rid of my cd's, but last year I spent what was for me a good amount of $$ on a new cd player, and a new turntable.  I still regularly buy cd's and vinyl, even though I have no place to put them.  I use digital files for my iPod in the car and when commuting on the train, but at home I like having physical media. I've spent many a night comparing the same music on different media, and have convinced myself that it sounds better this way.  Going to a high end audio store and listening to different cd players was jawdropping, I had no idea the difference in sound as you spend more money on a cd player.  To some extent its a generational thing.  Last year for Fathers Day when my 26 year old daughter living in NYC asked what I wanted and I told her the white vinyl of the new Chrissie Hynde album (I'm a sucker for colored vinyl), her response was "I don't even know where to buy cd's or albums anymore."

I still get at least 3 or 4 cds a month in the mail, truth is I signed a 25 year contract with Columbia House....but hey, my first 10 only cost a penny! Kidding aside I buy tons of used cds off of Amazon and Ebay, burn them into Itunes and put them in the basement. I like having a hard copy and I scour the liner notes while the cd is importing before sending it off to the dungeon. Even new releases I find people selling "used" for $7 or $8. I am guessing they buy it, burn it and sell it to get a half priced album. I actually bought Pernice Bros "Live a Little" for a $0.01+$2.99 shipping. It was new in a cracked jewel case. I have tried to limit my vinyl purchasing to albums I really know I am going to love or think they are a must for the headphones and the Technics. 2 reissues I am patiently awaiting are Sea Change and No Code...