Should I get rid of my CD's?

Should I get rid of my CD's?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should I get rid of my CD's?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on where I am dictates how I listen to my music. At home, where there is always an internet connection, its streaming either Pandora or Spotify. At work same deal. In the car, I have my iPod which has all of my cd's on it as is. Airplanes, iPod. just about anywhere else I don't really listen to music. 

I also do not really buy new cd's either. In the end, I think I was once like many of you, had to have the cover art, the jewel case etc. Or just didn't trust harddrives or the internet. Now I have fully embraced the wireless world. I think I am going to get rid of them. If any one in Denver wants to come peruse them before I take to the cd store send me a pm. 

Depending on where I am dictates how I listen to my music. At home, where there is always an internet connection, its streaming either Pandora or Spotify. At work same deal. In the car, I have my iPod which has all of my cd's on it as is. Airplanes, iPod. just about anywhere else I don't really listen to music. 

I also do not really buy new cd's either. In the end, I think I was once like many of you, had to have the cover art, the jewel case etc. Or just didn't trust harddrives or the internet. Now I have fully embraced the wireless world. I think I am going to get rid of them. If any one in Denver wants to come peruse them before I take to the cd store send me a pm. 

PM Sent!

I've been struggling with this lately as well. I sold a big load in December but still have 800 to 1,000 discs on a big bookshelf and in some boxes. They take up way too much room for something I rarely pull out. Also, it may just be because IKEA has made storing vinyl so cheap and stylish, but sometimes I feel like records take up less room somehow, even though they're obviously bigger. 

I voted no.  It's either too late or too early.  If you had considered selling them 6 years ago, you might have got something for them.  Pretty hard to sell right now for anything approaching what you paid for them. On the other hand, maybe they will appreciate in value in 10 years.  I say keep 'em.

Keep 'em!

My wife and I have thousands of CDS in shelves along the walls in our bedroom and I wouldn't want it any other way.  I'm too lazy to rip them all anyway (I'll download torrents of things I already own out of convenience for my iPods).  A couple of more reasons: 1) I want my kids (7 & 3) to have a physical connection to music.  They each got a CD for Christmas and will get another for Valentine's as well.  It's really fun to play the "go pick a CD and we'll see what you think of it" game. 2) Like someone said earlier, it's not like you can get anything for them anyway.  Sure donating them to someone who wants physical media is a nice gesture, but I couldn't fathom getting rid of my CDs for next to nothing.

Me and my wife are both former record store managers though, so I'm going to be biased.  :thumbup

I have a lot of VHS tapes, and I have a player, but sadly, I no longer have a TV that will accept the signal from my old VHS player. I bought an adapter, but the picture displayed on the TV is awful. One of these days I'll probably just dump all the tapes. What a shame, there's lots of good stuff that is impossible to replace.

And then when that hard drive just stops working one day...oops, you are S.O.L.

I know people's solutions now are "have a backup, and another backup," but how many freaking external hard drives am I supposed to buy? They are just not that reliable of an item, in my experience, and at $100 a pop, they are not exactly cheap. Once it stops working, that is it. Take it around to a few shops, and when you hear what they tell you, you will decide to keep some of your most essential music in a format you can see.

I downloaded the new Bob Dylan album off of iTunes first thing this morning. As soon as it was done, I sent the songs straight to my iPhone. Man, I was stoked for the morning drive. That was until I tried to play a song and it would stop 4 seconds in. I went through each song like this before I officially decided that digital music is not for me. Long story short; keep the CDs.

Tinfoil hat time:

An EMP attack would likely kill our CD players, turntables, iPods and computers. Who knows how well the servers that make up "the cloud" would hold up? Everyone needs to hang onto their CDs and other physical media and build a Faraday cage to hold and protect a CD/DVD player, turntable and a solar power source and/or generator.

And then when that hard drive just stops working one day...oops, you are S.O.L.

I know people's solutions now are "have a backup, and another backup," but how many freaking external hard drives am I supposed to buy? They are just not that reliable of an item, in my experience, and at $100 a pop, they are not exactly cheap. Once it stops working, that is it. Take it around to a few shops, and when you hear what they tell you, you will decide to keep some of your most essential music in a format you can see.

crashplan... $60 a year, unlimited.

https://www.code42.com/crashplan/features/compare/

• 2 weeks later...