• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, there are a ton of liberals in the anti-vax movement.

It seems to be a weird mix.  Generally it seems it is the ultra liberal "health food" types that seem to be against vaccines.  But yet it seems to be the most right wing politicians who speak out for "choice" in vaccinations.  It is really funny how politicians are really tripping over themselves when confronted with the issue, especially the train wreck that has become Chris Christie's campaign.  

The left and right come together on anti-vax.  Good to see ignorance and stupidity has no political boundaries sometimes.  This may be the biggest issue of the day. Before climate change, bigotry, and war can wipe us out, preventable childhood (or non-childhood) diseases will. 

LouieB

It may be that the right wing politicians are getting the most mileage out of the anti-vax movement. I'll grant you that.  But movements are also made up of people and plenty of people on the left edge of the political spectrum are involved in it.  If politics were only public figures this would make sense, but it doesn't. 

LouieB

Anyone want to take bets on whether NBC anchorman Brian Williams will keep his job after being caught lying about his exploits in the early days of the war in Iraq? Dan Rather's career imploded when he was caught peddling fake news, but Hillary Clinton emerged unscathed when caught lying about coming under sniper fire in Bosnia. Which way will the fickle finger of fate point today?

This is not fake news, its kind of a dumb thing he did. Brian Williams is probably the highest profile newsman in the country.   If fake news helped implode news organizations then Fox News would have closed down long ago (as admittedly would other news outlets.)

LouieB

This is not fake news, its kind of a dumb thing he did. Brian Williams is probably the highest profile newsman in the country.   If fake news helped implode news organizations then Fox News would have closed down long ago (as admittedly would other news outlets.)

As a journalist, he's expected to tell the truth, but he's been lying for years. As I said, Dan Rather's career bit the dust when he was caught pushing a story that turned out to be untrue.

As for vaccines, I wonder if Vlad was vaccinated against MMR. Maybe Jenny McCarthy was right...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/02/04/putin-aspergers-syndrome-study-pentagon/22855927/

He wasn't reporting this as part of the news, he was inflating his own personal experience.  Will it tank him?  I doubt it. Dan Rather didn't check his facts on an actual story. That was a bit different.  Once again, not fact checking happens a lot.  Rolling Stone ought to have closed down to, but didn't. And the worst fact checkers in the world, Fox News, are the number 1 cable news outlet. Go figure.

LouieB

He wasn't reporting this as part of the news, he was inflating his own personal experience.  Will it tank him?  I doubt it. Dan Rather didn't check his facts on an actual story. That was a bit different.  Once again, not fact checking happens a lot.  Rolling Stone ought to have closed down to, but didn't. 

He repeated the false account on national television several times while representing NBC News as their lead anchor. I'm certainly not suggesting that NBC News be shut down, but I am wondering aloud whether he has damaged his reputation to such a degree that the network might want to wash their hands of him.

All the major news organizations and the cable news might want to consider covering the news.  I am so old school I watch the evening news often, but it is just so much fluff it is ridiculous.  They can dump Brian Williams, I have no vested interest in him at all. The world is full of real news and most news outlets don't cover shit. 

LouieB

He repeated the false account on national television several times while representing NBC News as their lead anchor. I'm certainly not suggesting that NBC News be shut down, but I am wondering aloud whether he has damaged his reputation to such a degree that the network might want to wash their hands of him.

You keep wondering aloud if he damaged his reputation or whatnot.  NBC currently leads all other nightly news.  Ratings are key.  If for some reason people stop watching him that is what make NBC remove him.  Also you compare this to Dan Rather, which it really isn't.  Dan Rather reported news that was untrue.  Brian Williams, like Hillary Clinton exaggerated a story to boost their standings or gravitas.  But at the same token, before this came out, I did not know that he told the story of him being shot down.  I don't think it was a regular thing he mentioned.  It is not like his program is called, "NBC Nightly News, with Brian Williams who was shot down in Iraq."  

Simply put it is about ratings.  If the ratings take a hard hit and NBC slips to 2nd or 3rd they will let him go.  But I doubt the American people will care.  

But not surprisingly this will get some play with the Right Wing Media and it apparently has.  But as LouieB has noted the most popular cable new outlet, routinely reports untruths and exaggerations and where is the outcry from the right on that?  

Being roughly the same age as Jenny and from the same greater general area, I've heard a couple juicy stories.

would the runner up to Miss America take over duties?

I think the distinction between reporting a false story and sharing one from person experience is important. Also, Brian Williams is not the polarizing figure today that Rather was when he was canned. This may make him more polarized, but it won't alone take him down.

I think the distinction between reporting a false story and sharing one from person experience is important.

Yes, but the distinctions are blurred, as he has been recounting a fictional story that took place while he was doing his job as an NBC reporter. Then he repeated it several times on nationally broadcast programs. It'll certainly hurt his credibility, but only NBC will decide if he's damaged goods.