• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe any race is superior to another. In our polarized and politically correct world, we've twisted words like racism so much that they're almost meaningless. And don't get me started about all the -phobias...

2:  racial prejudice or discrimination

Surprised no one came in here to today to comment on the non-story of Hillary finally announcing. She is getting excoriated in the comments section of every online story about it. Benghazi! Vince Foster! Married to a rapist!

:lol

It is such a non story, I don't care.  

It is a shame that she has been anointed as the Democrat candidate this early.  I would like a primary, I would like to see some good honest debates about the direction of the party and the country.  Though I wouldn't want the circular firing squad that will be the GOP primary.    

Never thought I would say this, but Marco Rubio, despite me disagreeing with him on most things, may be the sanest person in the race so far.  And may be the best they are going to get in terms of electability. 

LouieB

I haven't paid much attention to him in the past, but a young, Spanish-speaking candidate is definitely worth watching. The last thing we need is another 70-year-old in the White House.

I just did a little Googling and it appears that Rubio and I attended the University of Florida at the same time, so at least we'll have a favorite sports team in common. I also found a nice remembrance that he posted when my former father-in-law passed away a few years ago. It seems they were friends and served together in the Florida Legislature. Maybe I'll get to spend a night in the Lincoln Bedroom if he's elected.

Hillary's campaign has been laughable so far. She was "a lock" in 2008 and didn't even manage to win the nomination. My prediction is that she won't even be in the race by the time of the convention. I think she'll throw in the towel and blame it on her health or a desire to spend time with her grandchild.

My prediction: Jeb Bush or Scott Walker, running with either Rubio or Rand Paul as VP. And they will get beaten by Hillary & Fill-In-The-Blank. You read it here first.

It will be Jeb Bush and Scott Walker as VP.  But of course a right moderate ex governor and a conservative star from Wisconsin didn't work out very well in 2012.  Rubio on the ticket with Bush would make little sense, especially electorally (both being from Florida and Hispanic).  Rand Paul perceived to be  too outside the GOP mainstream to be nominated for anything.  

Hillary's campaign has been laughable so far. 

How so?  It has been less than a week since she announced and there has been little or no news coming out of the campaign.  There was that Chipotle thing, admittedly weird but hardly laughable.  

My prediction is that she won't even be in the race by the time of the convention. I think she'll throw in the towel and blame it on her health or a desire to spend time with her grandchild.

That is a weird statement to make.  It is a prediction sure, but just wondering what your basis or reason.  HRC has spent the better part of two decades preparing herself to run for president.  When it comes down to it there will be over a billion dollars spent to elect her as president.  And millions of dollars spent thus far.  Also there is no viable candidate on the democratic side.  It would take a very powerful and charismatic challenger or a huge real scandal (ie not Benghazi, emails, or whatever the GOP seizes on) to thwart her nomination at this point.   

It will be Jeb Bush and Scott Walker as VP.  

That is a weird statement to make.  It is a prediction sure, but just wondering what your basis or reason.  HRC has spent the better part of two decades preparing herself to run for president.  When it comes down to it there will be over a billion dollars spent to elect her as president.  And millions of dollars spent thus far.  Also there is no viable candidate on the democratic side.  It would take a very powerful and charismatic challenger or a huge real scandal (ie not Benghazi, emails, or whatever the GOP seizes on) to thwart her nomination at this point.   

Bush/Walker...interesting. I had not even thought of that combo, for some reason.

I suspect Hixter is whistling past the graveyard on this one...still coming to terms with the looming prospect of President Hillary. Understandable. But hey, look on the bright side: you get Big Bill back, too! Who else, other than the highly unpopular Dubya, has the experience of eight years in the White House? Obama ain't running again.

Edit: one other point on Rubio

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/13/politics/marco-rubio-2016-elections-polling

In the latest CNN/ORC International poll, conducted March 13-15, 7% of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents said they would back Rubio, placing him in a tie for 6th place in the race for the Republican nomination. Rubio trailed former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (16%), Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (13%), Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul (12%), former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (10%) and neurosurgeon Ben Carson (9%). He was tied with New Jersey governor Chris Christie at 7%.

I know it's still very early...but if you can't even rate ahead of Ben Carson, you're probably already toast.

I suspect Hixter is whistling past the graveyard on this one...still coming to terms with the looming prospect of President Hillary.

Nope, I just don't expect her to win. As I said, I doubt she'll even get the nomination. To be honest, I would much rather have had her in the White House than our current president, but I think she's past her prime and her party could find a better candidate. She'll be as old as Reagan was on Inauguration Day and I don't think we need another 70-year-old at the helm.

Hillary has three things going for her: truckloads of money (although she's calling for big money to be removed from politics), name recognition (but there's that whole dynasty thing) and the fact that she's a woman. I would hate to think that people would vote vote for her based upon her sex, but millions of people voted for President Obama because he was African American and "not George Bush," so who knows.

She just doesn't have much to point to when it comes to her accomplishments. All most people will remember are the scandals and, yes, they are real scandals. The e-mail thing shows just how little regard she has for laws and transparency. The Russians are rattling sabers, the Chinese are menacing Asia and the Middle East is uglier than ever and she's going to have to explain how a lot of it happened on her watch as SoS. So she's going to have to throw Obama under the bus and blame it all on him at some point.

If I were her I'd just stick with my lucrative speaking career and let someone younger take the reins.

don't you mean "not Mitt Romney"?

No, I meant George W. Bush. Remember "change" and the "reset" of relations with Russia? Transparency and the closing of Gitmo? Peace prizes and an end to wars in the Middle East and Asia? Just more empty promises from a politician trying to get elected. Same old same old.

She just doesn't have much to point to when it comes to her accomplishments. All most people will remember are the scandals and, yes, they are real scandals. The e-mail thing shows just how little regard she has for laws and transparency. The Russians are rattling sabers, the Chinese are menacing Asia and the Middle East is uglier than ever and she's going to have to explain how a lot of it happened on her watch as SoS. So she's going to have to throw Obama under the bus and blame it all on him at some point.

The email thing is bullshit.  Looks and smells incredibly fishy.  The changing nature of the global landscape cannot be placed at the feet of the SoS.  Russians rattling sabers, the Chinese menacing Asia and the state of affairs in the Middle East are not a reflection on the job she did as SoS.  It isn't unless you possess a level of bias and want to irrationally throw it on her shoulders in a transparent partisan play.

No, I meant George W. Bush. Remember "change" and the "reset" of relations with Russia? Transparency and the closing of Gitmo? Peace prizes and an end to wars in the Middle East and Asia? Just more empty promises from a politician trying to get elected. Same old same old.

huh. i don't recall Obama running against GWB.

i agree that Obama's certainly not been the liberal warrior that some expected him to be. the use of drones, gitmo still operating, etc etc etc is troubling. yet the average republican thinks he's on par w/ Bernie Sanders. just how does that happen?

probably the same way this happened

I would hate to think that people would vote vote for her based upon her sex, but millions of people voted for President Obama because he was African American and "not George Bush," so who knows.

So we are just gonna let this slide, eh?  Imagine if I said millions of people voted for Mitt Romney because he was white. 

She just doesn't have much to point to when it comes to her accomplishments. All most people will remember are the scandals and, yes, they are real scandals. 

I guess if you keep saying the scandals are real, then they must be real.  Whereas the the truth is something different.  Benghazi for example.  And I don't want to rehash all of the scandals and why they are non stories, you can really go there yourself.  

Though it seems that you got me defending HRC for some reason.  I don't care for her, she is a just another big business politician, like Obama, and like the most of the GOP candidates.  But what I really can't stand is these vague and misleading statements that do nothing but try to diminish and cut down a person.  

So we are just gonna let this slide, eh? Imagine if I said millions of people voted for Mitt Romney because he was white.

I'm pretty sure they did

Though it seems that you got me defending HRC for some reason. I don't care for her, she is a just another big business politician, like Obama, and like the most of the GOP candidates. But what I really can't stand is these vague and misleading statements that do nothing but try to diminish and cut down a person.

I agree. I've never liked Hillary. If it comes down to it I'll vote for her, but only to keep these troglodyte republican candidates out. I hate most politicians, but I was really hoping that Elizabeth Warren would run. That's one I could get behind with actual enthusiasm. Unfortunately, I think the Democratic powers that be have already decided it's Hillary's turn. I kind of doubt we'll see a serious contender for the nomination, but I really hope I'm wrong.