I'm pretty sure they did

If that were true you would have seen Herman Cain do a lot better in 2012 and Ben Carson having greater numbers then he does now.  

African Americans vote overwhelmingly democratic and have for decades.  Millions did not vote for him because he was black millions of people voted for him because he is a democrat.  Just like millions of people will vote for HRC because she is a democrat, not because she is a woman.  You need to give the American electorate a lot more credit.   

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we are just gonna let this slide, eh?  Imagine if I said millions of people voted for Mitt Romney because he was white. 

The truth is the truth, no matter how unpleasant or unfortunate it is.

It really breaks down to these two options: Either get on board with Hillary Clinton, even if she’s not everything you’ve dreamed of. - or – Whine and cry because Elizabeth Warren isn’t going to run, become apathetic, then let Republicans win the White House in 2016; likely replace four Supreme Court Justices over the following 8 years; start a war with Iran; ruin the planet; destroy our economy again; and undo all the good that’s been done these last 6 years. Yes, it’s really that simple.

No, it's really not that simple, although partisan politics would like simpleminded readers to believe it's so.

I'll let that attempt at making fun of me pass.

The columnist certainly oversimplifies and fearmongers in its assessment of what a Republican presidential win would do to our country, but I think he's right-on about the left needing to get on board with Hillary. She will win the nomination and is a better choice than any Republican.

Holy crap, Hixter takes umbrage with part of the article and you see that as a slight aimed at you.

For the record, that exact paragraph sent my derp meter past 10 when I read it too.

If that were true you would have seen Herman Cain do a lot better in 2012 and Ben Carson having greater numbers then he does now.  

Cain never made it onto the ballot; he stopped his campaign after sexual misconduct allegations arose.

I give the electorate plenty of credit, in fact that's why I bristle when people infer that Republicans and southerners are racist, etc.

I'll let that attempt at making fun of me pass.

I was complaining about the author of the article, not you. Sorry if you were offended, I certainly didn't intend to do so.

I posted the article. He wrote that it was aimed at simpleminded readers. You wouldn't draw a connection?

Again, sorry if I offended you. Someone can read an article aimed at influencing/"informing" simpleminded readers while not being simpleminded himself. My groans were aimed at the author who claimed that Republicans are intent on war with Iran, destroying the economy and ruining the planet, and anyone who would believe such propaganda. 

No, it's really not that simple, although partisan politics would like simpleminded readers to believe it's so.

This is actually similar to how I would have commented to you on millions of African Americans voted for Obama because he is black.  

I give the electorate plenty of credit, in fact that's why I bristle when people infer that Republicans and southerners are racist, etc.

Unless they are democratic African American voters, or democratic woman voters.  Because only those people vote based upon race and gender.  You seem to have a double standard here.   

So I guess you are ok with the statement that White Southerners did not vote for Obama because he is black.   

Unless they are democratic African American voters, or democratic woman voters.  Because only those people vote based upon race and gender.  You seem to have a double standard here.   

You'll notice that my response to your comment about millions of people voting for Romney because he was white was "The truth is the truth, no matter how unpleasant or unfortunate it is."

But they weren't all from the south, they weren't all Republicans and they weren't all white.

African Americans vote overwhelmingly democratic and have for decades.  Millions did not vote for him because he was black millions of people voted for him because he is a democrat.  Just like millions of people will vote for HRC because she is a democrat, not because she is a woman.  You need to give the American electorate a lot more credit.   

my comment had nothing to do with votes cast for Obama.  I was speaking to your comment about millions of votes being cast for Romney because he was white, and my suspicion is that millions of votes were cast for Romney because he was white.

You don't have any idea why someone casts their vote, even if he/she tells you.

and I really don't need to give the electorate any respect or credit.  Have you seen American prime time television in the last decade?

Have you seen American prime time television in the last decade?

:) Their reality is far different from my reality.

I'm glad that the cable networks and Netflix are stepping up their game. I don't even watch any American network television now that Parks & Rec went off the air.

we watch The Good Wife.  I think that's about it for network TV. 

Americans are culturally retarded.  It scares the crap out of me that they vote.   And yes, I should live somewhere else.  We're working on it.  We have to at least wait until my step-son is in college.  

"The Goldbergs" actually makes me laugh. Jeff Garlin rules.

And I love the word umbrage. One just does not hear that enough.

The notion that blacks voted for Obama because he is black is a fairly racist notion. Gore received 92% of the black vote and Kerry 88%. More blacks may have actually voted in the Ibama elections than previously, but that can be due to inspiration.

I saw an article today questioning why Hispanics are not getting on board with Rubio and Cruz. The answers are simple, but elude those who think ethnic groups should vote a certain way. Cruz and Rubio are both Cubans while the vast majority of US Hispanics are of Mexican decent. Both Cruz and Rubio's immigration stances are offensive to the the very people they are trying to woo, so absent policy change those two and any republican with similar stances are going to lose tgat voting block.

It's actually fairly simple.

The notion that blacks voted for Obama because he is black is a fairly racist notion. Gore received 92% of the black vote and Kerry 88%. More blacks may have actually voted in the Ibama elections than previously, but that can be due to inspiration.

Yes, they were inspired to vote because of Obama's race. I'm not saying that every African American voted for Obama solely based on his skin color, but I'd reckon that for every person who voted against Obama because of his race, there's a person who voted for him because of his race. As I said, it may be unfortunate and unpleasant, but it's the truth.

And the same will be true of Hillary: some Republicans and Democrats will base their votes -- yea or nay -- on her gender. 

Why Hillary Clinton would make the perfect US president

Not because she’s flawless – she’s not – but because her election would signal that the US was no longer happy to squander the talent of anyone who happens to have ovaries.

everyone is guessing.

it's absurd to think that anyone knows exactly why someone votes the way they do--even if those persons respond to polls.  a lot of people who would vote on a candidate solely based on race, gender, whatever may not be gung-ho to admit that.

Hillary does have to be very careful not to act like she has it in the bag like she kinda did last time..........
The one thing I think they REALLY REALLY should do differently is play President Bill Clinton UP in the campaign and not try and hide him like they did last time.

I mean even if you are to the left of Hillary and don't want her I think that the idea of getting both of them as a team for the price of one is a HUGE selling point but what do I know???

I do know dumb American like underdogs and you cant act like you have it wrapped up...........I also know my SUPER CONSERVATIVE uncle tried and make me guess who I thought he would vote for and thought could get the country in line............I went thru the list of all right wingers and others and in the end he said he though Hillary Clinton was the person that could best run this country. I about choked on that one!!

Im more scared of that azzneck Chris Christie than anyone. He could win because folks think hes strong and can get things done even if it is screwing a million people in traffic or whatever but I do think his tough guy cocky crap is wearing thin for sure.............

• 2 weeks later...

So Bernie Sanders has jumped into the race.  That will make it interesting for sure.  More than likely he will push Hillary to left or at least make her flesh out her opinions on progressive issues.  Which is good.  

I know he will have a very strong grassroots campagin and be supported by the far left, but I do not see him winning the Democratic nomination.  It would be quite a socker if he did.  As much as I do not likely Hillary, she would likely beat any GOP canidate, but I do not think the same thing can be said about Sanders.  

Rand Paul v Bernie Sanders in 2106 would be an interesting race.  

Love Bernie, glad he's running, but he doesn't have a shot in hell of winning ir even getting on the ticket. He's there to raise issues and force Clinton into a more populist message - which can only be a good thing.

Love Bernie, glad he's running, but he doesn't have a shot in hell of winning ir even getting on the ticket. He's there to raise issues and force Clinton into a more populist message - which can only be a good thing.

I don't think he is doing this to get on the ticket.  He is doing this make Hillary move to the left.  Heck maybe he believe he can win.  Who knows.  

Hillary's VP canidate will more than likely be someone youngish.  Possibly a Cory Booker type or maybe even a governor, like Mark Dayton.  

Just hope pushing Clinton to the left during the primary doesn't hurt her in the general.

I wish the party would go further to the left, though - just not sure if the voters who actually vote in the general feels the same way.