From a political standpoint, the most interesting story in the recent days is the Netanyahu speech thing.  It points out a couple of things, first off the strained relationship between the President and the Prime Minister, but also the hubris by Boehner, in essence trying to exploit the strained relationship.  

Boehner was not only wrong by not only telling the WH about the invitation, but inviting the PM in the first place.  Considering that the PM is in the middle of an election, it is a long standing policy of the US not to have foreign leaders speak when they are running for office.  And now Netanyahu, is saying that he may have been mislead by the Speaker that invitation was bipartisan.  The whole thing makes Boehner look foolish.  Trying to play a part in world affairs and subverting the role of the executive office.

Not to say the Democrats are handling this perfectly.  The strained relationship with Netanyahu is a problem.  Israel is a key ally in the region, and someone we need to support.  Boycotting, or being "to busy" for the speech is a pretty petulant way to act.  What is next are they going to turn their backs on the PM when he speaks?  Which is apparently an ok form of protest now.  

It is interesting how this will play out.  

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the strain on the Dems side is that they've been disingenuously playing the "Israel is perfect" game.  Unfortunately Israel has strained that American illusion a lot in the past decade, and some liberals are stuck with the fact that it's taboo not to apologize for a nationalist, xenophobic government that is often in the role of the bully.  I noticed the cracks starting to show when Kerry was exhausted by trying to get them to play nice during peace talks.  He almost slipped and called them jerks.

The sharks are circling and Williams has taken a leave of absence.

Unfortunate, but not entirely unexpected.  Just wish there was some level of fairness in the attacks of Brian Williams.  Whereas, Brian Williams told his lie in non news settings, as the form of anecdotes, there are news outlets and pundits who routinely report falsehoods as actual news, either deliberately or by error.  I am not sure why Brian Williams being held to a high standard then other "news" personalities.  Also it seems the Right is truly salivating over this.  Like the a bringing down the head of the "liberal media."  This is what I have a problem with.  

More to the point, because of this do you trust the news Brian Williams reads less then you did a month ago?

I think because journalists are supposed represent the truth. And no, I don't trust the news that he read any less, I highly doubt he wrote it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then why is Brian Williams being held to a seemingly higher standard than other news readers?  

Then why is Brian Williams being held to a seemingly higher standard than other news readers?  

Because BW was at the top of the heap. 

When you're at the top, there's less cover.

The top and the best are always held to a higher standard, which is the way it should be.

Because BW was at the top of the heap. 

When you're at the top, there's less cover.

The top and the best are always held to a higher standard, which is the way it should be.

FoxNews is the number one rated cable news channel.  Should they not be considered the top of the heap as well?  They are not being held to the same standard that Brian Williams has been subjected to.

And it is important to remember that Brian Williams is not being criticized for the news he reported, it is an anecdote he told.  

And it is important to remember that Brian Williams is not being criticized for the news he reported, it is an anecdote he told.  

Doubts are also being raised about other reporting that he did, including his coverage of Hurricane Katrina. It appears that the man is a serial exaggerator and it will be up to NBC to decide whether his newly acquired reputation is too toxic for their network.

The concept of a news anchor as the all-knowing, trustworthy, singular purveyor of truth in the news is a farce. We should just call them "news readers" and be done with it. It shouldn't matter who reads the news or how much they are paid and the whole process of grooming and crowning the kings and queens of the evening news -- and all of the backstabbing and infighting that goes along with it -- is toxic.

Does anyone under 60 even watch the networks' evening news these days?

FoxNews is the number one rated cable news channel.  Should they not be considered the top of the heap as well?  They are not being held to the same standard that Brian Williams has been subjected to.

You're comparing a cable channel to a network news half hour. NBC rules the roost of network news shows.

If NBC thinks Brian Williams is bad for their brand, he'll be sacked. Pretty simple.

You're comparing a cable channel to a network news half hour. NBC rules the roost of network news shows.

So it is ok to lie and spread misinformation reported as "News" if you are a 24 hour cable channel, but if you host a half an hour broadcast channel you can't exaggerate an anecdote.  There needs to be some level of consistency here.

The concept of a news anchor as the all-knowing, trustworthy, singular purveyor of truth in the news is a farce. We should just call them "news readers" and be done with it. It shouldn't matter who reads the news or how much they are paid and the whole process of grooming and crowning the kings and queens of the evening news -- and all of the backstabbing and infighting that goes along with it -- is toxic.

Mark this day in history, I agree with you.  Brian Williams is a new reader and I have called him as much through this conversation.  Journalism is dead.  It is all about entertainment and has been for decades.  

So if we can agree on that, why are we holding one news reader to a higher standard then others.  Why are those on the Right so giddy over trying to bring down Brian Williams, but have little or nothing to say when cable news networks say completely untrue things as "news?"

So it is ok to lie and spread misinformation reported as "News" if you are a 24 hour cable channel, but if you host a half an hour broadcast channel you can't exaggerate an anecdote.  There needs to be some level of consistency here.

I've never said anything about the ethics of "misremembering" an anecdote. 

I don't watch Fox News, and don't give a shit about their agenda.

I won't feel bad is Brian Williams gets canned, nor will I feel good if he keeps his job. He's a millionaire. Congrats on the great career, now go retire more than comfortably. 

It's all about brand image. None of the news "crimes" that Fox News does, that upsets you so, hurts their brand. Brian Williams has apparently hurt NBC's brand. So, in that sense, yes, it's "ok" to lie and spread misinformation if you are a 24 hour cable channel. I vote with my remote control by not ever watching that particular channel.

The consistency is that Fox News has its audience, and NBC news has theirs. They're not the same audience, and they're not going to their news of preference to get the same material delivered by a different talking head. What works for Fox News doesn't work for NBC news, which is why they're different channels. 

Doubts are also being raised about other reporting that he did, including his coverage of Hurricane Katrina. It appears that the man is a serial exaggerator and it will be up to NBC to decide whether his newly acquired reputation is too toxic for their network.

Does anyone under 60 even watch the networks' evening news these days?

too bad my cable doesn't get this French news channel

melissa-theuriau-3.jpg

Fox has no semblance of truth, whereas NBC still wants to appear truthful. I agree, if he has to go, so be it.  They can bring him back as a correspondent at a later time.  But as anchorman I think he is shot.

LouieB

I've never said anything about the ethics of "misremembering" an anecdote. 

I don't watch Fox News, and don't give a shit about their agenda.

I won't feel bad is Brian Williams gets canned, nor will I feel good if he keeps his job. He's a millionaire. Congrats on the great career, now go retire more than comfortably. 

It's all about brand image. None of the news "crimes" that Fox News does, that upsets you so, hurts their brand. Brian Williams has apparently hurt NBC's brand. So, in that sense, yes, it's "ok" to lie and spread misinformation if you are a 24 hour cable channel. I vote with my remote control by not ever watching that particular channel.

The consistency is that Fox News has its audience, and NBC news has theirs. They're not the same audience, and they're not going to their news of preference to get the same material delivered by a different talking head. What works for Fox News doesn't work for NBC news, which is why they're different channels. 

So that is your opinion, and a fair minded opinion.  Having explained it, I can see where you are coming from.  But there a segment of the population and media do see this as an ethics issue, and see the need for Brian Williams to be removed from his job because of ethics.  But yet, do not cry foul when other anchors misrepresent the truth.  This is an issue, this is a problem.  We are in a get the other side mentality.  Not holding everyone to the same standards.

Kevin, I understand your point but the thing is, that Fox News watchers don't believe that Rush, et. al. (is that correct?) ever lie. They don't see them as unethical. Therefore, they don't see any hypocrisy bashing Williams but not Drug Addict Lying Sack of Shit Baugh.

So that is your opinion, and a fair minded opinion.  Having explained it, I can see where you are coming from.  But there a segment of the population and media do see this as an ethics issue, and see the need for Brian Williams to be removed from his job because of ethics.  But yet, do not cry foul when other anchors misrepresent the truth.  This is an issue, this is a problem.  We are in a get the other side mentality.  Not holding everyone to the same standards.

Right, it's called hypocrisy. Are you at war with everyone who's a hypocrite? Who are you, Holden Caulfield?