• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were still a whole lot of people cheering on that blowhard. He isn't going away any time soon.

I agree.  

Awhile back, I posted an article about the 10 reasons to vote Republican.  Which touched a nerve with some of the more conservative members of this forum.  While admittedly it was click bait and kind of stupid, with the popularity of Trump and the other candidates it brings those points back into question.  

Trump has said some stupid and down right racist things.  Any logical, sane person can clearly see that.  But he still is in second place in many polls, even after his McCain thing.  So either people don't care what he says or agree with what he says.  Also you do not see much of the GOP field trying to refute or distant themselves from what Trump says (in regards to immigrants from Mexico, they have to their credit defended McCain).  This in combined with the defense of the confederate flag leads me to conclude, the GOP is the party of racist stupid people.  Not to say if you are Republican you are a stupid racist.  I know many people who vote Republican who are nice people, but if you are a stupid racist, then you should vote Republican.  

I agree.  

Awhile back, I posted an article about the 10 reasons to vote Republican.  Which touched a nerve with some of the more conservative members of this forum.  While admittedly it was click bait and kind of stupid, with the popularity of Trump and the other candidates it brings those points back into question.  

Trump has said some stupid and down right racist things.  Any logical, sane person can clearly see that.  But he still is in second place in many polls, even after his McCain thing.  So either people don't care what he says or agree with what he says.  Also you do not see much of the GOP field trying to refute or distant themselves from what Trump says (in regards to immigrants from Mexico, they have to their credit defended McCain).  This in combined with the defense of the confederate flag leads me to conclude, the GOP is the party of racist stupid people.  Not to say if you are Republican you are a stupid racist.  I know many people who vote Republican who are nice people, but if you are a stupid racist, then you should vote Republican.  

In an article in the NY Times from this weekend they quoted a few Trump supporters not one was under the age of 60. Also many polls are still conducted over landline phones, which I know of no one in my age range (20-30) who has one. Polls are notorious for adjusting their (unreleased) numbers to take this into account, but this 'leveling' also allows bias to come into play as well as making polls track together to not seem like the one outlier. I would not put any stock into polls at this point. 

I think he's out there to draw liberal fire away from the legit GOP candidates, he's a distraction. For a moderate swing voter (wherever he/she is) Marco Rubio and Bush are going to feel damned reasonable after some weeks of Trump ruling the spotlight with presumably intentional gaffes.

I am a swing voter! I voted libertarian (Bob Barr) in 2008 and Democrat in 2012 (wish I hadn't). I would really like to see John Hunstman run again, but that is not going to happen. 

I am a swing voter! I voted libertarian (Bob Barr) in 2008 and Democrat in 2012 (wish I hadn't). I would really like to see John Hunstman run again, but that is not going to happen.

Ladies and gentlemen, we've found one!

Out of curiosity, what made you want to see Obama reelected at the time and why do you regret it now?

Well I watched all the debates and I really remember the first one because 1)it was at my school and 2) Obama 'lost' the debate but the things Romney was saying sounded crazy to me. So then it became between Obama and Gary Johnson. As Colorado was a very close call (according to the polls) I was very torn until the last minute.

I am disappointed now because of a few things. First, Guantanamo still being open. And second because I think he has made compromises like allowing drilling in Alaska and elsewhere that will have a large negative effect on the economy by not forcing innovation in the energy sector.

You are disappointed that Guantanamo is still open, when Congress is the one that won't let him close it down and also disappointed because he has allowed drilling in Alaska when any Republican or Libertarian would allow drilling just about anywhere any time.  The things you should be disappointed in are far more major and within his control than that. At some point everyone has to make a decision in the general election, that's ultimately the only one that counts. 

LouieB

Last weekend I was with someone who told me, in all seriousness, that Trump should be president. I managed to keep my jaw from dropping thru the floor and remained calm as well.

You are disappointed that Guantanamo is still open, when Congress is the one that won't let him close it down and also disappointed because he has allowed drilling in Alaska when any Republican or Libertarian would allow drilling just about anywhere any time.  The things you should be disappointed in are far more major and within his control than that. At some point everyone has to make a decision in the general election, that's ultimately the only one that counts. 

LouieB

I am well aware that it is now Congress's problem that Guantanamo is still open. But he had 2 years at the start of his presidency to close it and did not. 

As far as drilling goes, I do not doubt that a Republican president would allow drilling and depending on the particular Libertarian they would too. I guess that is the point right? That he is doing the same thing that any other party would be doing, so what difference would voting for a different candidate matter if they all would end up drilling anyway? 

So if you regret voting for the president in 2012, does that mean you wish that you voted for Romney and would rather he won?

I am well aware that it is now Congress's problem that Guantanamo is still open. But he had 2 years at the start of his presidency to close it and did not. 

I hope thi sis not a reference to the supposed two years of super majority that Obama supposedly had.  April 2009 was when Spector Switched sides, however that still was not enough to give the D's a veto proof majoprity. Franken had been elected, but recounts and delaying tactics preventted him from being seated till July 2009. however due to Kennedy's illness he was rarely in thesenate, so the D's frequently could only muster 59 votes.  Kennedy passed away in August and his succssor was appointed in September.  But Byrd was sick and not 100% reliable.  Regardless though the earliest that the D's could have had 60 votes was July 7, 2009.  Scott Brown was sworn in Feb 4, 2010.  So at the most the D's had a shaky (Byrd's Illness, Blue DOgs etc...) super majority from July 7 2009 to February 4, 2010.  Not two years.  If you are referring to something else please ignore the above. Not quite the sold voting block to get everything accomplished.

In an article in the NY Times from this weekend they quoted a few Trump supporters not one was under the age of 60. Also many polls are still conducted over landline phones, which I know of no one in my age range (20-30) who has one. 

Whereas that is true many polls do not take in account those who do not have landlines and the majority of those who do not have landlines are young, what you do not take in account is that the young do not vote.  21.5% of eligible voters 18-29 voted in 2014 (http://www.civicyouth.org/21-3-youth-turnout-preliminary-estimate-comparable-to-recent-midterm-years/)and the young certainly do not vote Republican.  (http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/11/05/as-gop-celebrates-win-no-sign-of-narrowing-gender-age-gaps/)  So with the current polls out there I do see it reflective of the current mindset of the republican voters.  

I am not saying that Trump is going to win (remember Herman Cain he led the polls for a long time in 2012?), but he has touched into the angry white male voice of the republicans.  He is saying things that your crazy uncle who watches too much FoxNews and listens to Rush Limbaugh would say.  He like your crazy uncle is a racist idiot.  

This Trump character is a riot.  This is the best election cycle since Ross Perot.

Ran across this article from Buzzfeed.  Really makes you think that Trump is just doing this out of ego and he doesn't really believe the stuff he says.  http://www.buzzfeed.com/christophermassie/a-guide-to-the-radical-left-wing-ideology-and-flip-flops-of.  It points out how his views on policies and other politicians have drastically changed over the years.  He is a joke, it is just really sad that he so popular with the GOP right.  

Sooo... I know marriage equality is HUGE and the Confederate flags going down was the right way to go, but who else is feeling like the TPP (Teans Pacific Partnership) deal is the backroom, ominous piece of our American political moment. Maybe it's not getting the attention it deserves.

Sooo... I know marriage equality is HUGE and the Confederate flags going down was the right way to go, but who else is feeling like the TPP (Teans Pacific Partnership) deal is the backroom, ominous piece of our American political moment. Maybe it's not getting the attention it deserves.

yep, that and the China hacking thing.  

TTP, Iran nuke deal, Cuba, keystone, China hacking, NSA data mining, ISIS, the Proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran (not to mention the troubles festering in Eastern Europe)....

Debate and discussion over these issues are being drowned by the noise from the buffoon (Trumps) and a silly debate over the Confederate Battle Flag.

Whether you lean left or right, you must see that the national attention is being constantly diverted. We are in trouble.

TTP, Iran nuke deal, Cuba, keystone, China hacking, NSA data mining, ISIS, the Proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran (not to mention the troubles festering in Eastern Europe)....

Debate and discussion over these issues are being drowned by the noise from the buffoon (Trumps) and a silly debate over the Confederate Battle Flag.

Whether you lean left or right, you must see that the national attention is being constantly diverted. We are in trouble.

The spectre of the TTP is here in Australia as well.

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/excluding-china-makes-flawed-transpacific-partnership-economic-folly-for-us-20150628-ghycvm.html

Also...our Environment Minister recently approving a massive Chinese-owned coal mine on prime agricultural land, endless debate over the benefits/lunacy of fracking, bi-partisan support for sending refugees into indefinite detention offshore, muzzling and theatening jail time for the media/aid workers/whistleblowers, our Prime Minister declaring war on windfarms, building coal ports on the Great Barrier Reef...oh, and the Reclaim Australia movement.

The US is in a bit of a sorry mess, but Australia's lost the plot in the last couple of years.

Well that settles that!

There are also the numerous studies that have concluded that it's safe, including the new one from the EPA. But Russia and OPEC are pleased that their anti-fracking campaign is at least partly successful. :)

There are also the numerous studies that have concluded that it's safe, including the new one from the EPA. But Russia and OPEC are pleased that their anti-fracking campaign is at least partly successful. :)

The same EPA that congress won't allow to be advised by actual scientists? Yeah, no collusion going on there. But I suppose any skepticism towards environmental degradation for short term profit is pure communism?

Actually, our mild-mannered EPA did have some negatives on fracking. What you were reading was the GOP retell. The study was weak because big oil lobbied them out of collecting new data, but they still found it can be dangerous for drinking water. As confirmed by this decidedly non-partisan resource:

http://www.factcheck.org/2015/06/clearing-up-claims-on-epa-fracking-study/