At the risk of sounding like an elitist, shouldn't the fact that Walker lacks a college degree exclude him from running? I mean, I know there's nothing written for that specifically in the constitution... but geez, if you don't/can't graduate from a university with at least a BA then I'm not sure if you have the qualifications to be in charge of the free world.

It probably should exclude him, yes, but sadly it will only enhance his standing in today's GOP. He didn't attend one of those commie liberal book learnin' places, so he's unburdened by any real historical, political, social or scientific knowledge or enlightenment. As such, he's a true American patriot, to be viewed by the mouth-breathers without suspicion.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of sounding like an elitist, shouldn't the fact that Walker lacks a college degree exclude him from running? I mean, I know there's nothing written for that specifically in the constitution... but geez, if you don't/can't graduate from a university with at least a BA then I'm not sure if you have the qualifications to be in charge of the free world.

I would say nothing should exclude a person from running for president and in away, except what is spelled out in the constitution.  It is up for the voters to decide whether that person's qualifications / political policies / ideas / character would make a good president.  If as voter you think someone who does not have a college degree shouldn't be president, then don't vote for that person.  A candidate is vetted in the media.  That question will ultimately be asked (maybe it will be seen as another gotcha question), but it is one that will be asked over and over again.  

A larger burden will be placed on Scott Walker to explain why not having a college degree makes him better qualified or just as qualified for the job.  But it is something he should explain, because many will see it as an issue.  On Fox News he did say, that Obama has a Harvard degree and he has done a lousy job as president, so it shouldn't matter.  http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/02/17/scott-walker-sounds-off-on-union-protests-college-and-evolution/.  Which ok, whatever.  It really does not answer the question or critics.  It is just a flippant answer.

There are many, many, many, many reasons not to vote for Scott Walker.  Not having a college degree is not one of them.  

Too lazy to look up... Didn't he walk away 1 class short or something like that? If so, his lack of degree probably won't factor in either positive or negative.

To be clear, I think the guy's quote a douche and the way hr demonized teachers was highly fucked up.

As bad as that is, check this one out. I really found it hard to believe that it's not from The Onion:

House Passes Bill that Prohibits Expert Scientific Advice to the EPA

http://inhabitat.com/house-passes-bill-that-prohibits-expert-scientific-advice-to-the-epa/

These people were elected, which means there are people out there who believe or agree with thinking like this.  Or at least have come to terms with how these people will govern, because of the promise of lower taxes, less government or something.  I cannot see how any rational person would want individuals governing this way.     

These people were elected, which means there are people out there who believe or agree with thinking like this.  Or at least have come to terms with how these people will govern, because of the promise of lower taxes, less government or something.  I cannot see how any rational person would want individuals governing this way.     

probably running on the "Obummer will take our guns away" platform. it's a popular one.

How was Netanyahu's speech? Didn't get to hear it.

LouieB

Basically it was similar to every other speech by someone on the Right. Complain about Obama's policies, but fail to offer any real or reasoned solution.

America should be getting some more love from them then. At least a reach a round, maybe a fruit basket too.

Our relationship with Israel is like a rocky marriage you don't want to get out of, but aren't happy staying in. (I am sure lots of people get that analogy.)  We can't divorce them, we have to keep supporting them, and we are all miserable. 

LouieB

A little respect would be nice after all we've done for them. I see an awful lot of taking, not a lot of giving.

Lets say war does start due to Iran's nuke program....Israel can bomb the hell out of Iran, sure. But invade without the US's help and be successful? No way. Iran has a population roughly ten times the size of Israel's. There is not a chance that Israel's military could handle that. I'd rather have a deal that could work than fighting someone else's war.

A little respect would be nice after all we've done for them.

How much more gratitude and respect do you want? From Netanyahu's address to Congress:

I want to thank you, Democrats and Republicans, for your common support for Israel, year after year, decade after decade.

Israel is grateful for the support of American -- of America's people and of America's presidents, from Harry Truman to Barack Obama. We appreciate all that President Obama has done for Israel.
I called him in 2010 when we had the Carmel forest fire, and he immediately agreed to respond to my request for urgent aid.

In 2011, we had our embassy in Cairo under siege, and again, he provided vital assistance at the crucial moment.

Or his support for more missile interceptors during our operation last summer when we took on Hamas terrorists.

In each of those moments, I called the president, and he was there.

And some of what the president has done for Israel might never be known, because it touches on some of the most sensitive and strategic issues that arise between an American president and an Israeli prime minister.

But I know it, and I will always be grateful to President Obama for that support.

And Israel is grateful to you, the American Congress, for your support, for supporting us in so many ways, especially in generous military assistance and missile defense, including Iron Dome.

Thank you, America. Thank you for everything you've done for Israel.

Lets say war does start due to Iran's nuke program....Israel can bomb the hell out of Iran, sure. But invade without the US's help and be successful? No way. Iran has a population roughly ten times the size of Israel's. There is not a chance that Israel's military could handle that. 

Who said anything about invading? Israel has no intention of invading Iran. Any military strike would focus on destroying or degrading Iran's nuclear weapons program. It would be a bomb and missile attack with a handful of special ops guys on the ground to direct it, provide damage assessment, take out a few tricky targets and return to Israel with any evidence and intelligence that they could gather. Then they scamper back to Israel and hope that they've caused enough damage to

I) give them a few more years of breathing room

and potentially

II) cause Iran to give up their nuclear weapons program for good

while hopefully

III) avoiding an all-out war.

Showing respect would be accepting an invitation from the president to appear before Congress. 

About invading, perhaps you're right. My thinking is Iran's nuke operations are so well guarded or unknown where they are that it would take an invasion to root it all out.

Showing respect would be accepting an invitation from the president to appear before Congress. 

I think you mean showing respect by not accepting the invitation of John Boehner to speak before congress.  Listen this speech was meant to do one thing and one thing only, to sabotage the US negotiations with Iran, in a very public way.  Thus trying to make the President look bad, and increase Netanyahu's standing within his own country right before an election.  Sure he said nice things about the US and the President, but his actions are one thing entirely different.  

Israel clearly respects and appreciates what the US has done for its country.  Netanyahu does not respect the President.  Sure he says some nice things, but if he did respect and value him he would not be trying to undermine a very crucial and delicate negotiation.  If he had such deeply held concerns about the talks with Iran he should have worked with the President and or the Secretary of State, rather give a speech to a body that really has no power or say so in foreign treaties.  

About invading, perhaps you're right. My thinking is Iran's nuke operations are so well guarded or unknown where they are that it would take an invasion to root it all out.

An invasion is out of the question. Most of Iran's facilities are known, although they haven't been forthcoming in naming them and there may be one or two that we don't know about (likely) and/or we haven't told Iran that we know about (very likely.)

The biggest problem is that they are buried very deeply. Israel has bunker-busting bombs (some of which we've supplied) and they may have a secret or two up their sleeves, but what they really need are a few of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive_Ordnance_Penetrator

They can only be delivered by B-2 (Stealth bomber) or B-52. There's no way we'd hand over B-2s to the Israelis, but we have plenty of mothballed B-52s that we could give/loan to the Israelis. 

If he had such deeply held concerns about the talks with Iran he should have worked with the President and or the Secretary of State 

They have, but the U.S. is in the process of making a deal that would allow Iran to keep most of their capacity and a very short ramp-up time to make a nuclear weapon. The Israelis are understandably uncomfortable with that scenario.

Let's not forget that Iran's program was undeclared and hidden for many years, some of their facilities were only uncovered by intelligence agencies and the United States was worried enough that they went to incredible lengths to sabotage the Iranian program. Any hope that the Iranian program is -- or will ever be -- peaceful in nature is a pipe dream. Only a few days ago, a million Iranians celebrated the anniversary of the revolution by chanting "Death to America" and "Death to Israel" while hanging effigies of Obama and burning and trampling Israeli and American flags. It's clear who our friends are and who our enemies are.