The First Great Song You Heard in Concert

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one that sticks in my mind is "My Generation" in Orlando in 1982. The band had said that they weren't going to play it that tour, so I was pleasantly surprised when they opened the show with it. The 1982 tour was somewhat lackluster, but the Orlando show was the first gig after a 3-week break and they really seemed to be having a great night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbcAvOy-8f8

Joan Jett opened. The B-52s came on next and were pelted off the stage after about 20 minutes.

Well...my first concert was KISS with Bob Seger & Silver Bullet opening, 8/2/76. I'm not sure what Seger opened with, it might very well have been Nutbush City Limits. KISS opened with Detroit Rock City. That's a pretty damn fine song to open a show with.

My first concert was the dead in Atlanta in 1992.  Sugar Magnolia closed the 2nd set and it was the first song I really knew that they'd played all night and I was blown away.  Wish I could re-live all those dead shows I saw now that I know the catalog so much better.

Well...my first concert was KISS with Bob Seger & Silver Bullet opening, 8/2/76. I'm not sure what Seger opened with, it might very well have been Nutbush City Limits. KISS opened with Detroit Rock City. That's a pretty damn fine song to open a show with.

This is sort of like my experience, except I didn't get to see Seger. KISS opened with I Stole Your Love (not a great song), so I'm going to go with Shock Me, and Ace's smoking guitar solo. Mind blown. Hey, I was 13.

My first mind blowing song was at a Loggins & Messina concert around 1975, my 1st concert at 12 years old. Heart opened and they were still really new, they were mind blowing enough, but my sister and I were there to see L & M, and they didn't disappoint, their whole show blew me away, but the song Vahevala, something like 20 minutes long blew my socks off.  That song set the stage for the years to come of going to Dead shows.  I remember being on a high for days after that show.

The Wabash Cannonball, Roy Acuff. That was a great song. I was probably 9-11 years old. I am so fortunate that I was able to hear that high lonesome voice of the King of Country Music. Thanks mom and dad!

Though the title doesn't say "first great rock song heard in concert", that would be Bastille Day, Rush. Dec. 9, 1977. Their set opened with Bastille Day. That opening riff blew my 14 year old self away. All smiles, bobbing head and pumping arm. Powerful!

U2 concert, in 1985 or '86, and they closed the show with "Bad" from Wide Awake in America. The last few minutes of the song, Bono was singing "Come on down" over and over and gesturing to the audience to move forward. I remember feeling a magnetic pull as we left our seats and made our way hypnotically towards the stage, everyone singing. Somehow chaos was avoided and we all got as far down by the stage as the crowd would allow. It was dreamlike and magical, and went on for several minutes. When the stage lights came up, the spell was broken. I'll never forget that!