The First Great Song You Heard in Concert

"Hoedown" by Emerson, Lake & Palmer - summer of 1974 at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, PA.

A great opener - they used what they called a "quadrophonic sound system"  - additional speakers were set at the back of the venue.

Actually, my first concert was John Denver in 1972 at the ISU Mini-dome in Pocatello, Idaho. While I do remember the Boons Farm wine and how I thought it was neat that he did almost all of the concert solo, no song stands out in memory.

ELP, however was incredible.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first show was John Miles at the Hammersmith Odeon 1974 or 1975 so the first great song would have been "Music".

Music was my first love and it will be my last,

Music of the future, music of the past.

To live without my music would be impossible to do,

'Cos in this world of troubles, my music pulls me through.

Pretty prophetic, really.

"Hoedown" by Emerson, Lake & Palmer - summer of 1974 at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, PA.

A great opener - they used what they called a "quadrophonic sound system" - additional speakers were set at the back of the venue.

Actually, my first concert was John Denver in 1972 at the ISU Mini-dome in Pocatello, Idaho. While I do remember the Boons Farm wine and how I thought it was neat that he did almost all of the concert solo, no song stands out in memory.

ELP, however was incredible.

Wow ELP before Brain Salad Surgey must have been Great

Saw Keith Emerson a few yrs ago .. Well worth seeing if you enjoyed ELP

And Boones Farm Woa that's a blast from the past

The Wabash Cannonball, Roy Acuff. That was a great song. I was probably 9-11 years old. I am so fortunate that I was able to hear that high lonesome voice of the King of Country Music. Thanks mom and dad!

Though the title doesn't say "first great rock song heard in concert", that would be Bastille Day, Rush. Dec. 9, 1977. Their set opened with Bastille Day. That opening riff blew my 14 year old self away. All smiles, bobbing head and pumping arm. Powerful!

Hell yeah! Rush in '77? Awesome. I didn't see them until '78.

I think that 83 Kinks tour might have been my first show too......I was 13 but I remember it was LOUDER THAN LIVING HELL!!

Somewhere around that time I caught Hall and Oates and Lionel Ritchie and the reformed Monkees................haha I cant remember which was first..........

Then came REM with Minutemen opening and it was all good from there. Ive seen at least 3 or 400 shows easy. 110+ GD :P

great thread: my first love was being about 13-14 years old and seeing Kix.

"Kix are for Kids" and i fell in love with live music. I specifically remember digging the "punk" bassist spitting across the stage, and had the revelation that : LIVE MUSIC IS BETTER (apologies to Neil Young), as compared to my perfectly fine record 8 track/ AM/FM combo unit that Santy Claus brought me when i was 12.

The rolling stones 1981 at the Hartford civic center

First song: under my thumb

Most memorable (Tie): You Cant Always Get What You Want/Jumping Jack Flash

To this day I vividly remember the sing a long and Mick going nuts during JJF.

Wilco Me you see hippie shows back then???

Well, I saw lots of shows and I would call myself a hippie, but I never really loved the Dead for some reason. I saw Hendrix back in '69 and CSNY and Janis Joplin sometime in there. You know what they say about the 60s though--if you can remember them, you weren't there.
  • 2 weeks later...

Apparently it was In Between Days in 1986, at my first concert (The Cure). Unless Charlotte Sometimes is a great song, but I don't think it is.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-cure/1986/great-woods-amphitheater-mansfield-ma-5bd7f7e4.html

I think Charlotte Sometimes is a great song.  Maybe my favorite Cure song, I had the 12 " single of it (still do) used to listen to it endlessly.