The First Great Song You Heard in Concert

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Charlotte Sometimes is a great song.  Maybe my favorite Cure song, I had the 12 " single of it (still do) used to listen to it endlessly.

I was considering that one, since I remember liking it a lot, but I haven't heard it in so long I didn't want to vouch for it without listening again.

you sure about that year? 

this was the show I saw them open:

http://www.u2gigs.com/show283.html

Positive. It was the first concert that I ever attended on my own (or, with friends rather than being dragged to see Paul Anka by my parents).

Joshua Tree tour at the Rosemont Horizon in April, 1987.

Lone Justice opening.

• 8 months later...

Release - Pearl Jam, 1998

Was actually my fourth-ever big concert... but I think this one has to be the most memorable of those early tunes I heard. .

i forgot to mention John Fogerty opening one his shows here with Traveling Band. i hadnt heard him play that one in more recent time (2005), so i cringed when the intro started, thinking he wont be able to pull it off - boy was i wrong  :blink

When I was 14 I saw Simon and Garfunkel at the San Diego Stadium in 1981. They played Late In The Evening mid set and it went over so well, being the awesome funky Latin jam that it is and the horn section and rhythm section just killing it, they played it again at the end of the show, people were rocking out so hard.  It was great to see a stadium full of people getting into it like that.  I went with my Mom and one of her friends but luckily I had a separate ticket and sat by myself.  Some adult partiers next to me had a  gallon jug of homemade sangria they had smuggled in and they shared it with me so I probably had a little buzz going, too!

The next year we saw The Who at the same stadium.  We got Loverboy and John Cougar as openers.  The next night in Los Angeles they got The Clash so we got majorly screwed, but when Daltry screamed and the super bright lights blinded the whole stadium at the peak of Won't Get Fooled Again, it was a mind-blowing powerful rock 'n' roll moment.