Is it just me? (The High Price of Wilco)

I think it is important to also add to this conversation that there is no revenue for recording artists to be had through sale of that recording any longer other for the biggest of the big (Taylor S etc). This may not apply to bands like Wilco who never made much money (or so they claimed) through the music as much as it applies to bands like Pearl Jam or Jack White where record sales used to generate a substantial amount of revenue.

the lack of record sales hits most bands, not just the upper tiers. King Buzzo has talked at length about this, and is one of the reason that The Melvins do a lot of limited (and expensive) releases, in an attempt to get some sort of revenue stream that complements tour revenue.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red Rocks is a pretty "exclusive" venue. I'm sure just booking that facility alone costs quite a ton.

How much does it cost to rent Red Rocks?

That depends on the type of event and the time of year. Red Rocks booking manager Jeannette Murrietta says a typical concert costs "upwards of $100,000," including fees for equipment, security, vendors and the venue itself. The rental fee alone for concerts and other ticketed events is 11 percent of admission revenue or $7,500, whichever is greater. Nonprofits are charged 8 percent of their admission revenue, with a minimum of $5,000. The fee for a private, non-ticketed event (such as a wedding, bar mitzvah or cult ritual) is $100,000 during concert season -- which runs from May to September -- and that price doesn't include the labor and equipment required to host an event at Red Rocks. Nonprofits are charged $10,000. The off-season rental fee for commercial and private entities is also $10,000.

I won tickets to my first Wilco show in 1999, so every show seems expensive compared to that.

My first Wilco show was free, too! But I've shelled out a whole lotta clams to see them since then.

At least we can have this exchange! Thankfully, Wilco still tours as much as they do. We're lucky.

Indeed. There are few bands that have lasted 20 years that still tour with the regularity and fervor of Wilco.  Some of that longevity  tour rarely if at all and others phone it in and still charge a ton of dough. 

LouieB

"Simple economics" is one way to think about ticketing, but do bands need to operate in service of just the bottom line? Wilco isn't Wal-Mart. I have no problem with Wilco making money playing shows, but rock music really isn't about the money; let's hope they remember that as time goes on.

I don't love dropping $50 each time I want to see Wilco -  I'd much prefer the $19 I paid in 1995. However, if Wilco sold tickets for $19 these days, the reality is that all the tickets would immediately sell out and go to scalpers, who would turn around and charge more than the $50 we're currently paying.

If someone has to profit from the show, I'd much prefer Jeff, John etal profit than scalpers.

Bands aren't going to play shows at a loss, so in that regard they absolutely need to operate to service the bottom line. We can romanticize the business all we want but this is their job and they ultimately do it to make money. Why is that so hard for people to understand?

Friends,

I send special PM to Mr Jeff Tweedy to make all smooth oil on your water troubles. It is rare to make a divergence from way of the ABBA, but it is fierce poignant request of most fitting kind and Mr Jeff Tweedy pleasures me with agreement. So there is promise for final close to special 20 anniversary shows with Mr Jeff Tweedy and Mr John terminating with emotional duel version of Islands In The Stream to celebrate all years of manhood together. This will bring down your house for sure and be top pop value! Here is first place that you have heard of this event! Believe!

Welfare!

P.S. Mr Jeff Tweedy agree that wig from video shoot of the Low Key is matching Lady Dolly and will be appropriate, but he makes a line draw at need for the chicken fillet enhancement, even though Professor from Stockholm has already posted special package for the assist.

I sent two emails to Tony Margherita Management, politely expressing that disappointment. Zero response. Not even a generic "Thanks for your feedback."

I would imagine Tony did write you back, several times perhaps, before hitting the "delete draft" button, cursing at the ceiling and moving on to the next thing in front of him.

I honestly think you should protest the ticket prices about which you're complaining by never, ever attending another Wilco show.

I don't begrudge the boys their success, but this seems like it's going to drive longtime fans away.

Yes, actually, you do.

I honestly think you should protest the ticket prices about which you're complaining by never, ever attending another Wilco show.

:lol

I understand the dismay at seeing that price for a ticket. I figured the bigger part of it was missing out on the chance to be in the front, as opposed to being 50 rows back...but apparently the ticket cost itself was the main complaint. Thing is, it's not like they are going across the country gouging fans on prices. I'm still seeing tickets for $35-$40 listed in my area; tickets for Red Rocks are $55 or $45. At $125, Solid Sound is an absolute steal! (2 Wilco shows, Tweedy show, plus all the other acts).

By the way, to put these ticket prices in further perspective, here are some prices for other upcoming shows in my area:

The Pink Floyd Experience: $45 (yes, a Pink Floyd cover band is charging $45)

Smokey Robinson: $65-$85

Pat Benatar: $45-$85

Neutral Milk Hotel: $35-$45

Even Nickelback is charging $95 for a good seat. Let that sink in.

Actually, $50-$100 is starting to sound like a bargain for Wilco. They are headlining a night at New Orleans Jazz Fest, Gathering of the Vibes Fest, Winnipeg Folk Fest and Shaky Knees Fest. So they are not exactly obscure anymore. I mean, aren't they one of the best touring acts in America? I sure think so.

To add very little substance to this discussion: $45 is what I want to pay for a Wilco show, $65 is what I would pay for a Wilco show, $85 would need an amazing opener or special event. It's a weird psychology pricing these things, as tangible things add up to $85 pretty quick, or monthly cable bills...

To add very little substance to this discussion: $45 is what I want to pay for a Wilco show, $65 is what I would pay for a Wilco show, $85 would need an amazing opener or special event.

That sounds about right.

I don't mind bands charging whatever they want to charge. If they shoot too high, the tickets won't sell. If they sell, then the price was right. Charge whatever you want, Wilco. If it is in my range, I'll go. If not, I'll read about it from bbop.

It costs $50 for my wife and I to go see a movie and buy some popcorn and soft drinks.

I've read on the internet that people used to be able to buy a decent amount of cocaine for that kinda money.  

I just don't think $85 for a ticket to an amazing performance at a venue that has some very real overhead costs is unreasonable.  The fact that I'm only paying $26 to see Drive-By Truckers tonight seems insane to me.  I will probably leave the band a tip on stage.

Wow, a lot of haters, who also can't read.

Just to be clear for those who think I'm complaining about ticket prices. No, you obviously didn't read the link to my original post. My disappointment is in the decision to change the conventional seating arrangement at Red Rocks without notifying fans properly.

Every Wilco show at Red Rocks in the past has been GA up front. Every other Red Rocks show I am going to this summer (Ryan Adams, My Morning Jacket, one or two others still considering) is GA up front. Wilco for the first time ever changed the arrangement and made the first 50 rows reserved seating.

I am not the only person who did not see that major change in a longstanding policy and bought GA seats, because that is what one ALWAYS does at Red Rocks.

If you go back and read the original post and the replies (I know, it's a lot of work to click that link) you'll see others who made the same mistake. We're all shut out of decent seats now because of that lack of communication from Wilco the band to its fans. Although there are lots and lots of seats on Stubhub, which is a whole 'nother problem.

I am perfectly willing to pay the market price for tickets.

I don't need condescending lectures on economics, as I thought I made clear in the post that started this thread. But I think we all agree that paying $85 for pit tickets to stand in 105-degree heat in Scottsdale in July is high enough to make anyone think twice. (For comparison's sake, that's roughly the same as we paid for AmericanaRama two years ago. It's also the all-in price for the best seats in the house at the Greek Theater in LA a month later, which will certainly be a better experience.)

My note to TMM was expressing disappointment IN THEIR COMMUNICATION WITH WILCO FANS about a major change in their ticketing practices for a well established, even iconic venue. I didn't say a fucking word about the price, because that's not the issue.

Thanks for your attention.

Wow, a lot of haters, who also can't read.

Just to be clear for those who think I'm complaining about ticket prices. No, you obviously didn't read the link to my original post.

You are bitterly whining on the internet because wilco didn't do something the way you wanted, when you wanted (and the fact that their management doesn't want to engage with you on that subject). If you can't handle critical feedback for that, you probably shouldn't start threads on message boards.

People did read your link (I did, at least). You seem to be upset that posters didn't agree with your perspective despite having done so. You also stated that you weren't re-hashing your red rocks angst in this thread, which you apparently are.

And you clearly were complaining about ticket prices in the original post in this thread. ("$85 for pit tickets? BEFORE TicketMaster's obscene add-on fees? Fuck that.")

The bottom line is that you're having to sit further back at red rocks than you wanted because you made an assumption about red rocks' seating based on your past experience with the venue. I get that. It's not unreasonable to be disappointed. But you could have checked out the seating before you bought the tickets, right?

You seem a little unreasonably angry over tickets to a concert, and I think that's why you're getting the feedback you don't like.

And I don't hate you.

I ended up getting tickets to the Scottsdale show in Sec C for $65 a piece, before fees.  Yes, it stung to pay like $140 for two ticket for wilco when I used to pay like $30 a piece back in the day, but the way I reason it in my mind is they only come to Arizona every few years or with driving distance every few years, so for me it kind of evens out.  And for me, I decided to go with the seated section and not GA field because I have major spine and back problems, so I will have to sit down every other song and I will need a chair and didn't want to be in the handicap area way up on the concourse, so for me, a little extra money spent to be up close was worth it, plus I got lukcy and got row 1 in pre-sale.  Not sure how that worked out, but I am happy.  I used to work at Salt Rive Fields and can tell you that it is a beautiful facility and it will be nice to have a firework show afterwards.

With that said, I am not sure we will ever see the low price tickets again, but who knows?  They might get different promoters or do a tour of smaller venues again.  Maybe if enough people complain to the management and/or band they will listen.

You are bitterly whining...

You seem to be upset...

You seem a little unreasonably angry...

Erm, no.

Not at all. And I've been on the Internet and on message boards for a long time. I'm pretty thick-skinned.

But you could have checked out the seating before you bought the tickets, right?

As several people pointed out, there was nothing clearly indicated in the presale to suggest that the tickets were different this time. People were asking, in fact, if others got Row 6 or whatever, because it was confusing.

Normally for a show at Red Rocks there's no need to worry about presales, because everything's GA and you have months to pick up tickets. I just went back and looked at all the emails and promos from Wilco HQ and from Frontgate, and not a hint that this show was different.

Thanks for the feedback. If I ever bitterly whine or get unreasonably angry, you'll know about it. 

Maybe if enough people complain to the management and/or band they will listen.

That's exactly what I tried to do. I wrote a calm, reasonable email expressing my disappointment at the way this show in particular was handled. I have no idea whether the message was received.

Wow, a lot of haters

How old are you?

I feel you Mr. Kafka, I assumed that GA would be more expensive than reserved seating for the Capitol Theater shows so I bought reserved seats. When I realized my mistake I was pissed. Why would GA be cheaper? I ended up in the 3rd row of the balcony instead of my customary front row left.

But I wasn't pissed at the venue or Wilco or Wilco's management. I was pissed at me.