Is it just me? (The High Price of Wilco)

Update on the Scottsdale ticket situation (which was part of this threads original discussion)

As of this morning PIT tickets are still available at $92.50 each and 15th Row Reserved seats are available for appx $70 each. Perhaps seats for this particular venue are priced a little too high?

Granted, the show has been on sale less than a week.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps seats for this particular venue are priced a little too high?

Oh yeah, way too high.  Also, who's bright idea was it to start a show at 6:00pm in Arizona in the begining of July in a baseball stadium?  Come on! 

I dunno, it seems like the cost of the tickets is part of the issue here, but then dealing with trying to get tickets to a highly sought after show is (and was) always an issue.  And bitching about Ticket Bastard is not an new problem either. 

Meanwhile I checked to see how old Mister Kafka is and if his profile is correct he is nearly as old as me, which makes him old enough to know that tickets for shows are now and always have been problematic.  I am sure he remembers waiting in lines (maybe over night?) and being shut out. 

LouieB

the most frustrating concert ticket line experience was 1985, in Providence while waiting for U2 tickets....about 3 of my friends and I stayed overnight in line. we were probably about 50 or so people back in line when we started. the box office opened in the morning, around 9 or so. about 10 minute before they opened, a huge glut of people just crashed the line. we ended up having to buy tickets for the Worcester show because the PVD show had sold out by the time we got to the ticket seller.

I re-sent my (very nice) note to Tony Margherita Management and this time I got a very nice note in reply. Apparently earlier emails went to junk folder or something

Amazingly, the kind person at TMM didn't try to blame me and said it was valuable feedback and they were grateful I took the time to send it in. It sounds like other people have written to say the same and Front Gate tickets has been working with some people to try to fix the mess.

And yes, I have lots of memories of camping out to buy tickets back in the day. Once ended up with first row tickets for Neil Young and Crazy Horse at the Los Angeles Forum after my then-GF was trampled in a stampede when the ticket line opened. Tickets in exchange for not suing, I guess.

Meanwhile, I bought tickets for My Morning Jacket at Red Rocks today. The arena is configured with GA up front, where God intended it to be.

Getting a bit off topic here but thought I'd chime in-

Way back in the day (circa 1976-1980) all we had to do for guaranteed front row tickets at the Tower Theatre in Philly was to wake up at 4am on Saturday morning(or stay up all night), and drive into the city and get in line with a handful of other people at the old Electric Factory ticket window. We got front row seats for many many shows this way.

Ticketron (for those that remember it) was just coming online somewhere in that timeframe and then things got a little harder every year after that.

My most memorable overnight camping for tickets was when the Pink Floyd Animals Tour went on sale at the Spectrum in 1977. We went to see the Outlaws and Sea Level that Friday night previous and just stayed there and had someone get in line after that while we all partied in the parking lot. By the time the Outlaws concert was over there must have been 1000 people already in line and a couple thousand more by the time the sun came up the next morning. But we still managed to get decent 2nd level seats for one of those Floyd shows.

Are Wilco tickets getting more expensive as time goes on?  Yes.

Have I ever left a Wilco / Tweedy / Jeff solo acoustic show thinking I didn't get my money's worth?  No.

Since I moved to Chicago 5 years ago, I think other than food/housing/gas I've spent more money on Wilco than anything else (shows/posters/vinyl) and don't regret a penny.

....and what gets me isn't the "ticket price" its the difference between that price and what I end up paying (convenience fees...oh the irony, facility fees, taxes, ticket delivery fee, etc).

I just bought tickets to see Jenny Lewis at the Vic.  The ticket price was $24.  I ended up paying $38.11.  

If you ask me, this is where the vitriol should be directed, not the artist.

It definitely depends on venues, I'm sure. There's a place up here in Maine that charges obscene about of money for tickets because they dont use a ticketing service. I'm sure venues that do are also "non profit" or have some other reason for high ticket prices.

Solid Sound is so reasonably priced! Especially the early bird tickets. I'm really upset I wont be able to go this year.   

Wilco GA seats tix for $18.75 each for Scottsdale July 3 on ticketmaster, special offer code JULYSRF

Not great seats, but cheap.  I'm gonna be out of town, can't go.  :(

Wilco GA seats tix for $18.75 each for Scottsdale July 3 on ticketmaster, special offer code JULYSRF

Not great seats, but cheap.  I'm gonna be out of town, can't go.  :(

Thanks for the heads up!

They've sold way less than half the reserved seats and the pit is still available for this show. I'm not surprised they're doing this just to get bodies in the door.

I go to a place in CT, Infinity Hall, that does its own ticketing. Just a dollar or two to have the tickets sent in the mail, $0 for will call. No other fees. Prices are extremely reasonable. I just paid $40 (?) to see Justin Townes Earle. In a 300 seat theater, no less. They have a restaurant on site, so they are getting some money that way as well, but I feel that they are fairly making a modest profit and filling seats by being reasonable. Also, by not being affiliated with a ticketing agency, they announce their own shows via email first, and when it's announced, it's on sale. No presale bullshit, no codes, nothing. Any time I've talked to any of them they've been a delight. Food is good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are 2 factors driving up ticket prices in general, I think. 

1) Most importantly, there are enough people willing to pay the price. I just paid $50 to see Jason Isbell. Probably the most I've paid for a non-festival ticket. Having seen Wilco 5 times, I'd think long and hard before paying that much for them.

2) The death of record sales. Musicians have to make a living. Many of my favorite artists seem to be on constant tour. The need to get paid. I am sure Jeff Tweedy makes more than this public school teacher, but I also don't think he and his bandmates live like Mick Jagger or Bono. 

Come on Mister Kafka - do you really think that bands should not charge what the market will bear?  (I checked your profile and noticed you aren't a kid so I assume you know how the world works.)  And why should TM answer you either?  This is a business now with lots of expenses and infrastructure to support.  If you want to see performers who are scuffling, hit the local clubs and bars and support them. If you want to see a big time rock group, pay to see Wilco.  Or don't.  No one is holding a gun to your head and making you buy tickets.

LouieB

Great post, Mr. B.

Actually as it turns out they DID answer him so despite him thinking I am a jerk, I do admit when I am wrong. Having met Tony once I am actually shocked they did write back, so kudos to them. 

The rest of the post I stand by though.

(Who knew Jason Isbell would become a star?  One great album will do wonders for a career.)

LouieB

Actually as it turns out they DID answer him so despite him thinking I am a jerk, I do admit when I am wrong. Having met Tony once I am actually shocked they did write back, so kudos to them. 

I'm the one that recommended they contact TMM so I am VERY happy to see a reply, specially considering where this thread has gone.  They replied to me in 2009 when Frongate's shitty presale sold me two outside isle end seats that were front row but directly in front of the speaker stack some 20 + feet off stage right.  These were seats in my opinion that should not have even be available.