Jeff Tweedy @ Vic May 15th

Strategically announced just days after the Tweedy show, which took place in the same venue right around the dates historically going back a decade that the solo benefit shows have taken place. I do not begrudge the announcement, nor the extra chance to see Jeff perform, just mentioning the way that many of us who have attended these shows regularly and lovingly were "led" to believe that the Tweedy show would substitute for the benefit show this year.

Wheeee so much Tweedy/Wilco in Chicago over the last 6 months! Fantastic!

YESSSSS!!!!! 

Since the benefit shows are an annual tradition, maybe if we ask nicely we can make the Winterlude a regular thing...?

Strategically announced just days after the Tweedy show, which took place in the same venue right around the dates historically going back a decade that the solo benefit shows have taken place. I do not begrudge the announcement, nor the extra chance to see Jeff perform, just mentioning the way that many of us who have attended these shows regularly and lovingly were "led" to believe that the Tweedy show would substitute for the benefit show this year.

Huh? I don't think anyone was misled. I certainly never thought the TWEEDY shows were going to be anything like the Jeff Tweedy solo benefit shows.

This is I believe the latest the benefit show has ever been, but i've seen them in January, February, March and April before.  No complaints about anything as these are a totally different beast than the Tweedy shows or any regular Jeff solo accoustic show as those who have gone before can attest to.

Huh? I don't think anyone was misled. I certainly never thought the TWEEDY shows were going to be anything like the Jeff Tweedy solo benefit shows.

Well I was not saying they were going to be the same, it seemed obvious a Tweedy show would play songs off the new Tweedy album they were touring in support of.

The benefit show dates have jumped around over the course of time too...

Yes I recall seeing a benefit show on Valentines day (late winter) and early April (early spring) which is exactly when this Tweedy show took place. So historically speaking, this Tweedy show took place in the same calendar period the benefit shows normally occur.

Now add to that wilco is touring, Tweedy is touring, Sue may not be up to putting a benefit show together this year, etc. and it was easy to believe there would be no benefit show this year.

All I was saying was the timing of the announcement was within 2 days of the Tweedy show and it was my belief (no one has to agree with this) if the benefit show was announced sooner, some people might not have bought tickets to Tweedy when there was another and IMHO superior Jeff show on the horizon.

Hypotheticals do not work on message boards so truthfully I should have posted my feelings or beliefs. But don't play so dumb that the timing may not have been deliberate in an effort to sell out the Vic three times among the same finite core group of Wilco fans. Maybe they decided while they were at the Vic last weekend that Sue was feeling up to it and the Vic people wanted to make it work. I am not criticizing anyone, just pointing out my gut reaction when I saw the benefit show announcement.

it certainly could be true that the timing of the announcement was strategic, and if so I don't see anything wrong with it. However, there's another big difference that makes me think this was not so preplanned, and that is that this is just a single night show rather than the 2-night stands we have grown to expect. I believe the Vic is booked already for Saturday and it may well have been that they were trying to find a 2-night opening and couldn't do so, so just decided at the last minute to go with the one available weekend night.

I was happy to see Sue refer to the show as the "annual" benefit show for education. I know some people here have been wondering whether the shows would continue at all now that Spencer has graduated.

Good grief, THEY ARE DOING A BENEFIT!  Why is this being dissected at all?  Buy a ticket if you want to go.  Honestly.  

I'm so happy it's happening and will be attending.  This is the best news I've heard in ages, and it's pretty close to the best Tweedy solo event ever. 

Good grief, THEY ARE DOING A BENEFIT!  Why is this being dissected at all?  Buy a ticket if you want to go.  Honestly.  

I'm so happy it's happening and will be attending.  This is the best news I've heard in ages, and it's pretty close to the best Tweedy solo event ever. 

Right on! I had pretty much written off the benefit for this year. Thanks once again to Sue for making it happen. BTW, Sue stopped and talked with some of us a bit at the Tweedy shows, she looked really good!

Hi guys! Sorry I didn't leak this news this year on Via Chicago. Not exactly dealing with a full deck lately.......but anyhoo.....the show is so late this year because I had to give my weekend I was holding at the Vic for solo Jeff, to Tweedy the band. Because Taste of Chicago got cancelled, they really wanted to do a Tweedy Chicago thing and with Jeff's schedule so insane, that was pretty much the only time they could do it. I had to give it up. I was kicking and screaming, but I had to do it. The good news is at least the brave people that line up won't freeze their balls off this year. So that's good. It was really hard to find a date at the Vic this year that worked for the Vic and worked for Jeff. So yes, it's only one night and yes the Saturday after is booked. But......if it sells out we do have the option of adding the Thursday, so we shall see. I hope we do because these solo shows are the best and so much fun. I'm sorry if people thought it wasn't going to happen. We have a younger son still in school here and hopefully we can continue to help support these schools. Thanks guys! Hope to see you there!! xo

Thanks Sue! Let's hope it sells out! That would be great to have 2 shows but one will do just fine. I agree, these are my favorite shows for many reasons, always great fun! We appreciate all of your hard work putting these wonderful shows together and Jeff being a good sport taking our requests!

IMHO the fact that srmt would feel any need to come on here and apologize for putting together or not putting together these benefits — whenever Jeff is able to do them — is pretty ridiculous. Or tell us about it any sooner than anyone else, for that matter. (Though it is always great to hear from her! xoxo)

IMHO the fact that srmt would feel any need to come on here and apologize for putting together or not putting together these benefits — whenever Jeff is able to do them — is pretty ridiculous. Or tell us about it any sooner than anyone else, for that matter. (Though it is always great to hear from her! xoxo)

More proof that Wilco fans have it pretty damn good.

What a delightful surprise on a day when every little thing seemed to have gone wrong! Thank you, Thank you!

Always my favorite night(s) of the year worth the annual trip from NYC. And just when my balls have finally thawed out from last year......almost.

Yup, I think I'm up for another little jaunt to my second home, Chicago. I get giddy just thinking about these charity shows!

I am fervently hoping that the rest of you get on the stick and make this thing a sellout, because in anticipation of this turning into a 2-night stand, I booked my flight to arrive on Thursday morning.

Yup, I think I'm up for another little jaunt to my second home, Chicago. I get giddy just thinking about these charity shows!

I am fervently hoping that the rest of you get on the stick and make this thing a sellout, because in anticipation of this turning into a 2-night stand, I booked my flight to arrive on Thursday morning.

I was wondering if you'd be up for another trip! Glad you're coming!

I was wondering if you'd be up for another trip! Glad you're coming!

Apparently I am powerless to resist.