Hiya, VCers - 

I recently started a craft beer review and discussion video podcast called One Guy, One Beer, and we just posted our second episode this morning featuring Chicago's own Goose Island Beer Company: https://oneguyonebeer.wordpress.com/2015/03/30/episode-2-goose-island-brewing-company-bourbon-county-coffee-stout/

Thought some of you might be interested. Take a look, spread the word, and thanks so much for watching! 

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool review!

No disrespect to your review, or anything of the sort, but I absolutely hate limited release beers and think they are ruining the craft beer scene. That's a rant I'll try not to go on but scarce marketing and such which has been perfected by breweries like Three Floyds is an absolute joke and makes me hate the craft beer scene.

That being said, I love good beer! One of my recent favorites is the Ballast Point Victory at Sea. Have you tried that one?

Very nice!  Love me some craft beer and really love a good barrel aged.  Are you just focusing on Chicago beers or will you be looking at other areas?  Some great ones here in Colorado (Avery, Boulder, Vindication, Bootstrap...).

Cool review!

No disrespect to your review, or anything of the sort, but I absolutely hate limited release beers and think they are ruining the craft beer scene. That's a rant I'll try not to go on but scarce marketing and such which has been perfected by breweries like Three Floyds is an absolute joke and makes me hate the craft beer scene.

That being said, I love good beer! One of my recent favorites is the Ballast Point Victory at Sea. Have you tried that one?

Hey man, no worries. And I feel you. Completely. This beer was donated to the show though and I love anything BCBS, so it had to be done. 

Victory at Sea is amazing and is slated to appear on the show soon, actually. Love that beer. My go-to porter as of late. 

Hey man, no worries. And I feel you. Completely. This beer was donated to the show though and I love anything BCBS, so it had to be done. 

Victory at Sea is amazing and is slated to appear on the show soon, actually. Love that beer. My go-to porter as of late. 

Yeah, it's quite tasty!

I was so happy when Surly started distributing to Illinois. I lived near Minneapolis for awhile and when I moved back here I needed my Furious and Coffee Bender fix!

Very nice!  Love me some craft beer and really love a good barrel aged.  Are you just focusing on Chicago beers or will you be looking at other areas?  Some great ones here in Colorado (Avery, Boulder, Vindication, Bootstrap...).

Thanks for the kind words, man! Very cool of you. 

No, I'm looking to feature beers from all regions. Of course, availability does become an issue...

Thankfully, we've just started getting some Avery beers in Illinois. If only Odell would grace our borders...

You're blaming the wrong thing, though. I don't think limited release beers are ruining the craft beer scene. If anything, they add a sense of excitement and novelty to craft beer while allowing specific brewers to demonstrate their abilities.

An unfortunate byproduct of these beers is that they tap into the hoarding mentality of the few who feel entitled to collect and trade as much as they can get their hands on. That's what creates the problems around these releases.

Yeah, it's quite tasty!

I was so happy when Surly started distributing to Illinois. I lived near Minneapolis for awhile and when I moved back here I needed my Furious and Coffee Bender fix!

Ditto. Pretty geeked to see 21st Amendment and Sweetwater have landed here as well - super excited to try the former.  

You're blaming the wrong thing, though. I don't think limited release beers are ruining the craft beer scene. If anything, they add a sense of excitement and novelty to craft beer while allowing specific brewers to demonstrate their abilities.

An unfortunate byproduct of these beers is that they tap into the hoarding mentality of the few who feel entitled to collect and trade as much as they can get their hands on. That's what creates the problems around these releases.

Well said - although, as much as I love 3 Floyds (seriously, Gumballhead may be the perfect beer), I find some of their Dark Lord Day practices quite dubious...

i finally got to try Pliny the Elder (btw is it pronounced like Plinny? or Pliney?) when i was in SF two weeks ago. Coit Liquors had some but you had to ask, they didn't have it in the display case. on my third trip there (limit of 2 per person per day), there were two women from Boston in front of me, buying some for friends back home.

woman - "I'd like to buy six Plinys, please."

store clerk - "Sorry, I can only sell you one or two bottles."

woman - "Is it that good?"

store clerk - "It's that popular"

i finally got to try Pliny the Elder (btw is it pronounced like Plinny? or Pliney?) when i was in SF two weeks ago. Coit Liquors had some but you had to ask, they didn't have it in the display case. on my third trip there (limit of 2 per person per day), there were two women from Boston in front of me, buying some for friends back home.

woman - "I'd like to buy six Plinys, please."

store clerk - "Sorry, I can only sell you one or two bottles."

woman - "Is it that good?"

store clerk - "It's that popular"

Ha! Good to know. The wife and I are San Francisco-bound later this week for our first ever vacation together. Pliney the Elder and Blind Pig are definitely on my list of beers to try and hunt down. 

i finally got to try Pliny the Elder (btw is it pronounced like Plinny? or Pliney?) when i was in SF two weeks ago. Coit Liquors had some but you had to ask, they didn't have it in the display case. on my third trip there (limit of 2 per person per day)

I think the brewer pronounces it Ply-knee.

It's a good beer and I have a neighbor who returns with a case and a couple of growlers when he travels to the region, but I wouldn't have the stamina to return day after day. The brewer is fairly forthcoming with the recipe, so I brewed a 10-gallon batch of it a few weeks ago and just finished the dry hopping schedule. It's been on CO2 for a few days, so I guess I should sample it and see how it turned out.

The wife and I are San Francisco-bound later this week for our first ever vacation together. Pliney the Elder and Blind Pig are definitely on my list of beers to try and hunt down. 

As of a few months ago, the limit at the brewery was 12 bottles and one growler per person, so maybe you could pay a visit to the source.

I think the brewer pronounces it Ply-knee.

It's a good beer and I have a neighbor who returns with a case and a couple of growlers when he travels to the region, but I wouldn't have the stamina to return day after day. The brewer is fairly forthcoming with the recipe, so I brewed a 10-gallon batch of it a few weeks ago and just finished the dry hopping schedule. It's been on CO2 for a few days, so I guess I should sample it and see how it turned out.

Let us - or at least me - know how it turned out. 

I don't have the stamina to return to most IPAs day after day. Just not my glass of beer, as it were, no matter how wonderfully made they may be...

i should have tried the Blind Pig when i was at the Toronado.... i had the Elder, a Deschutes Fresh Squeezed, and a Moonlight Boat to Bombay.

the difference between the Pliny and the FS was shocking.

So geeked to hit up Toronado...

Shocking in what way?

Let us - or at least me - know how it turned out. 

I don't have the stamina to return to most IPAs day after day. Just not my glass of beer, as it were, no matter how wonderfully made they may be...

I just tasted a couple ounces of it. Very tasty, but the carbonation is still low. Another 3 or 4 days on CO2 should fix that. 

I like IPAs, but it's tough to drink them all night long, so lately I've been buying/brewing 5% session IPAs when I want a hoppy beer that won't crack my skull. And speaking of skull crackers, my neighbor is a neurosurgeon and I'll probably give him a 5-gallon keg of the clone. It would take me a long time to go through 10 gallons of an 8.1% imperial IPA.

I tend to brew a lot of 4.5% English bitters. It's probably my favorite style and they go down very easy.

i should have tried the Blind Pig when i was at the Toronado.... i had the Elder, a Deschutes Fresh Squeezed, and a Moonlight Boat to Bombay.

the difference between the Pliny and the FS was shocking.

What was the difference? One is an imperial and the other is a regular IPA, but they're both good beers. Fresh Squeezed is one of the hundreds of Mosaic-heavy beers that are flooding the market. I make a really tasty Mosaic-hopped pale ale that is popular with the neighbors. Mosaic hops are practically Skittles in plant form.

I just tasted a couple ounces of it. Very tasty, but the carbonation is still low. Another 3 or 4 days on CO2 should fix that. 

I like IPAs, but it's tough to drink them all night long, so lately I've been buying/brewing 5% session IPAs when I want a hoppy beer that won't crack my skull. And speaking of skull crackers, my neighbor is a neurosurgeon and I'll probably give him a 5-gallon keg of the clone. It would take me a long time to go through 10 gallons of an 8.1% imperial IPA.

I tend to brew a lot of 4.5% English bitters. It's probably my favorite style and they go down very easy.

What was the difference? One is an imperial and the other is a regular IPA, but they're both good beers. Fresh Squeezed is one of the hundreds of Mosaic-heavy beers that are flooding the market. I make a really tasty Mosaic-hopped pale ale that is popular with the neighbors. Mosaic hops are practically Skittles in plant form.

"Skittles in plant form." So true. 

By the way, it sure sounds like your neighbors are drinking pretty well...lucky folks. 

By the way, it sure sounds like your neighbors are drinking pretty well...lucky folks. 

They love it when I break my portable 2-keg dispenser out for special events. I guess I should start brewing some crowd-friendly beer for May's annual crawfish boil.

jYTDsM7.jpg

My new favorite for when I'm feeling fancy is Boulevard Brewing out of KC makes a farmhouse called Tank 7.  It's really stinking good.  Which is funny that I've become obsessed with a beer out of Missouri.  Denver has become craft brew mecca with a new brewery opening every couple months.

Anyhow, I like the farmhouse/saison thing.  It seems to be the perfect mix of big flavor while still being refreshing.  I like a big IPA, or stout as much as the next guy but sometimes they feel like "staying in and going to bed early" kind of beers.

My new favorite for when I'm feeling fancy is Boulevard Brewing out of KC makes a farmhouse called Tank 7.  It's really stinking good.  Which is funny that I've become obsessed with a beer out of Missouri.  Denver has become craft brew mecca with a new brewery opening every couple months.

Anyhow, I like the farmhouse/saison thing.  It seems to be the perfect mix of big flavor while still being refreshing.  I like a big IPA, or stout as much as the next guy but sometimes they feel like "staying in and going to bed early" kind of beers.

OK, one at a time here:

1). Tank 7 may be the best American and easily accessible incarnation of a saison. Such a wonderful, wonderful beer. 

2). I am a farmhouse/saison/anything Belgian beer slut. My favorites, hands down, followed closely by a nice stout or American pale. 

They love it when I break my portable 2-keg dispenser out for special events. I guess I should start brewing some crowd-friendly beer for May's annual crawfish boil.

jYTDsM7.jpg

Get to steppin', son! 

Dude, as a homebrewer, can you tell me which hop gives off that chive/onion/garlic note? That kind of earthy, grassy flavor?

Tank 7 is way too sweet for me. I love Crooked Stave and Funkwerks (which actually started distributing to Texas recently), and I always picked up some of their beer whenever I passed through Colorado.

Tank 7 is way too sweet for me. I love Crooked Stave and Funkwerks (which actually started distributing to Texas recently), and I always picked up some of their beer whenever I passed through Colorado.

Back to Boulevard though, if we're talking American interpretations, Saison-Brett is pretty freaking amazing. 

Also, still on American interpretations, Ommegnang's Hennepin is pretty solid as well. A real nice dryness with those great peppery phenols. 

Yeah, it's quite tasty!

Never understood the popularity of Surly with Summit so readily available in the Minnesota area. Wish I could find Summit EPA in the Chicago area. The only place I can (rarely) find it is at Binny's.