Granted, I'm still somewhat new to the craft beer landscape, so admittedly some of the 'whales' still hold some appeal for me. But I have noticed in the last few months my appreciation has grown for beers that are more expertly crafted than their super-hyped counterparts. 

I think it's kind of like discovering what makes authentic Italian food so wonderful is the simplicity, the restraint, the care put into it. 

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jealous of you west coasters with access to Deschutes.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo is great too. For local IPAs, Slumbrew's Flagraiser is a great one. And Smuttynose is unfairly taken for granted.

That hop henge is amazing. And only $6 for a bomber here in CO.

Found a 12er of Summit Saga IPA (I don't like it as much as their EPA, but I'll take it) at Caputo's, of all places (maybe some Chicago suburbanites would know what I'm talking about. I never heard of one until I moved out to Downers Grove) - for the completely reasonable price of $13.50.

That's another gripe I have about the mainstream craft breweries I like - no 12ers available. Bell's, Half Acre, 2 Brothers. Step it up!

I'm not very adventurous when it comes to new beer. I know what I like, so I keep getting what I like. I'm sure all the others are fine - when I travel I always try to find a local brew on tap, but when I'm buying bottles for me, I go with what I know, and I stick with brews that honor the purity law (plus yeast, of course). No pumpkin ale for me, please.

made it over and bought 12 btls, six of Congress St IPA and six of Melcher St IPA

drank a Congress after skiing yesterday and holy shit this stuff is good.

Awesome to hear! His hoppy beers really are fantastic. I went in on Saturday for a growler fill of Fort Point Pale Ale and wish I got more.

Enjoying the below after hosting an Easter feast --- potent but pretty smooth and drinkable for a high alcohol content brew.

Still haven't made it to their Chicago brewery --- friends have, though - all say it's quite the site. 

beer_262801.jpg

If you get a chance to try Vindication brewing I would highly recommend. They were called "Kettle and Stone" until Stone brewing put the squeeze on so they changed the name. Some of the absolute best beer coming out of Colorado. They are really adamant about not using squid bladders and antifoam and whatever in the process. Great people and amazing beer.

They are really adamant about not using squid bladders and antifoam and whatever in the process.

A lot of vegetarians and vegans don't realize that isinglass (fish bladders) and gelatin are sometimes used to clear beer. There aren't many alternatives other than filtering, but that can strip away flavors and yeast. I don't mind cloudy beer, so it's fine if no finings are used.

Moss, I use Irish Moss in the boil kettle to help haze-causing proteins settle out. It works fine and it's made from algae, so it's not a problem for the veggies.

A lot of vegetarians and vegans don't realize that isinglass (fish bladders) and gelatin are sometimes used to clear beer. There aren't many alternatives other than filtering, but that can strip away flavors and yeast. I don't mind cloudy beer, so it's fine if no finings are used.

Moss, I use Irish Moss in the boil kettle to help haze-causing proteins settle out. It works fine and it's made from algae, so it's not a problem for the veggies.[/quote

Yeah thes guys use Irish Moss on everything. They are launching something called Brewtegrity to spread the word. I can taste the diff.]

They are launching something called Brewtegrity to spread the word.

Interesting. It seems their biggest target is silicone-based anti-foam agents. I've sometimes used them in the past to control kettle boil-overs (I typically have 13.5 gallons of wort boiling in a 15.5-gallon pot, so there's not much room to spare) but it's only a drop per gallon and I usually forget to even bring the bottle out of the fridge.

I wonder what their take on sanitizers is? Home brewers use non-rinse sanitizers, so there's always a bit of sanitizer left in the bottle/keg/fermenter. I've read that yeast will actually consume the sanitizer, but I don't know if that's actually true.

That should have read "no-rinse." It's a food-safe, acid-based product used to sanitize equipment and containers. No-rinse means that it can be left in place without removing it. For instance, you'd sanitize a fermenter or bottle with it prior to filling, but a small amount of the sanitizer will still be in the vessel as it's being filled.

StarSan is a commonly used product.

http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/Star-San-HB4.pdf

Interesting. It seems their biggest target is silicone-based anti-foam agents. I've sometimes used them in the past to control kettle boil-overs (I typically have 13.5 gallons of wort boiling in a 15.5-gallon pot, so there's not much room to spare) but it's only a drop per gallon and I usually forget to even bring the bottle out of the fridge.

I wonder what their take on sanitizers is? Home brewers use non-rinse sanitizers, so there's always a bit of sanitizer left in the bottle/keg/fermenter. I've read that yeast will actually consume the sanitizer, but I don't know if that's actually true.

It's tough for them in this competitive market not to use the anti-foams.  They could easily get another 10% yield in the fermentor if they did.  I remember talking to them about the sanitizers and I know they were pretty adamant about that area also.  They focus on good aseptic technique more than anything.  They will talk your ear off whenever you are in there.  I'm not sure they even make a beer that's under 6% alcohol and they are generous with the pour so I am not really in any state to remember all the nuance by the time I leave.

I have friends in Denver, but they're dope-smoking punks and they say that Boulder is full of dope-smoking hippies, so we rarely venture into the city. Maybe we can check it out the next time I'm in Denver for the Great American Beer Festival.

don't be afraid of Denver pot smokers. join them in a 4/20 celebration:

http://www.ogdentheatre.com/events/detail/268371

I smoked half of Colombia back in the 70s and 80s, but I have no desire to smoke weed anymore. It's so potent these days that it seems like a real drug and it's just not fun anymore.

My friends are big smokers, but they are not happy about all the crusty, dreadlocked vagrants who have migrated to Denver and beg for weed and change all day. They're even talking about moving out of the city.