EPA is their flagship. That's nuts. It was the most important beer in introducing me to craft beer. Saga IPA is quickly becoming my go to IPA.

Yeah - a nearby grocery store will (irregularly) have 12ers of Saga for $13.50. Not a bad price, considering the cheapest craft 6er I can find goes for $7.99. Summit 6ers go for $8.99 round these parts. 

Bought a case of Sierra Nevada "Nooner" Pale Lager at Costco for $21.99. A very nice summer beer.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, BIG NEWS: There’s a new weekly segment at One Guy, One Beer called B-Roll which features photos and brief, playful reviews of beers we’ve enjoyed but weren’t able to feature on the show. Our first post is now live! Check it out. Spread the word. Suggest beers for B-Roll or the weekly show. Cheers! http://oneguyonebeer.com/2015/06/17/b-roll-1-brooklyn-brewerys-sorachi-ace/

We were in Ljublana, Slovenia a week ago (now we're in Korcula on Korcula Island in Croatia) and found a "Special Beer Shop". They had beers from about 6-7 Slovenian craft breweries. They hadn't been opened long and had a nice conversation with the knowledgeable owner. She knew her beer. We chose a double IPA, IPA, red IPA, porter, stout, Belgian triple, double bock and a smoked porter. All were excellent. Other than the triple and double bock, we weren't expecting to find those styles. Haven't found a similar store throughout Croatia, but have found decent pilsners, basic lagers and dark lagers in the grocery store.

Edit The Slovenian store also had American beers. Relatively pricey. For example, a bottle of Founder's Porter was about $16!

With Solid Sound right around the corner, I'd like to ask Vermont residents for any tips or tricks for locating some beer to bring back home. It was easy to pick up as many cases of Heady Topper as I wanted during SS 2013, but now that the brewery isn't open to the public it seems a lot trickier. I've looked at delivery schedules and locations for The Alchemist and Lawson's; I've also checked out the retail store hours for bottles and growlers at Hill Farmstead. Looks like I'll be making a major road trip from my hotel in Wilmington to Montpelier and the surrounding area Friday morning.

I'll gladly listen to any suggestions that would make my quest easier. And if any of you have ready access to the holy grail (or other worthy contenders) I'd be happy to swap any beer that I can find here in Texas.

Cheers!

Hoping someone can explain this to me...

At the Half Acre store (I used to live nearby), you can get a 4-pack of 16 oz cans for $8 or $9. 64oz total. To get the same beer in a growler refill (which is also 64 oz, and now you are providing the container), it's $12. 

Why is it 50% more expensive to purchase the same amount of beer when the consumer is providing the container?

It doesn't make much sense, does it? Maybe they're reflecting to cost of having an employee filling a growler by hand (and often dumping a lot of foamy beer down the drain) as opposed to a canning line that is essentially automated and running at high speed?

Good question.  I helped can beer awhile ago and it was very manual with a ton of beer loss.  Constant cans getting jammed, caps not put on right, overfills, underfills, etc... so there has to be far more loss than a growler.  My guess is that it comes down to the fact that there is no competition when filling growlers.  The cans have to sit on a shelf and compete with a ton of other beers for your money so they have to lower the price.  Maybe I'll ask my buddies at the brewery since I'm heading over in 20 minutes.

My bother is getting married this weekend in Fort Collins, CO -- coincidently the same weekend (and location) as the Colorado Brewers' Festival.  Anyone else going?  Tips for a rookie? 

My bother is getting married this weekend in Fort Collins, CO -- coincidently the same weekend (and location) as the Colorado Brewers' Festival.  Anyone else going?  Tips for a rookie? 

Drink lots of Odells, stay away from Ft. Collins Brewery. Not sure who will be there but Liquid Mechanics, Vindication, and Bootstrap are worth checking out.

I have been meaning to check this place out, it just opened:

http://www.dungeonsanddrafts.com/

Other than that, Ft. Collins is a great city that is worth exploring.  If you get a chance, head up to the Mish.  Robert Randolph is playing up there this weekend.  It's an amazing venue up in the mountains.  You can take a bus from Ft. Collins so no issues with driving drunk.  The scenery is amazing.

http://www.themishawaka.com/

0329mishawaka.jpg

With Solid Sound right around the corner, I'd like to ask Vermont residents for any tips or tricks for locating some beer to bring back home. It was easy to pick up as many cases of Heady Topper as I wanted during SS 2013, but now that the brewery isn't open to the public it seems a lot trickier. I've looked at delivery schedules and locations for The Alchemist and Lawson's; I've also checked out the retail store hours for bottles and growlers at Hill Farmstead. Looks like I'll be making a major road trip from my hotel in Wilmington to Montpelier and the surrounding area Friday morning.

I'll gladly listen to any suggestions that would make my quest easier. And if any of you have ready access to the holy grail (or other worthy contenders) I'd be happy to swap any beer that I can find here in Texas.

Cheers!

if i get some more, i'll bring a Trillium for you.

the dry hopped Congress St IPA is simply the best beer i've ever had.

if i get some more, i'll bring a Trillium for you.

the dry hopped Congress St IPA is simply the best beer i've ever had.

That would be fantastic! I've been wanting to try their beers. As I've said before, my friends in Brookline are friends with the owners and I attempted to schedule a last minute meetup at Solid Sound for a beer transfer, but it seems my friends are in Iceland at the moment. Maybe next time.

The beer selection at Solid Sound is decent, but it would be so cool if they could wrangle up some of the legendary breweries in Vermont and Massachusetts and have a world class beer concession for the weekend. It'd save me several hundred miles of driving every other year. :) 

Cheers!

For Heady, check http://www.headyspotter.com for retail locations. You can sort by location or which day of the week you're looking. 

If you're in Montpelier, definitely Hunger Mountain. You should be able to grab some Lawson's there. I'd also recommend grabbing Lost Nation's Gose, which LN has recently started to can. In addition, there's a Craft Beer Cellar nearby -- there's a small chance they'll have some leftover Heady. I think on my last Friday trip, I was able to grab a 4 pack at the Cold Hollow Cider place, not far from Montpelier. 

Good luck!

For Heady, check http://www.headyspotter.com for retail locations. You can sort by location or which day of the week you're looking.

If you're in Montpelier, definitely Hunger Mountain. You should be able to grab some Lawson's there. I'd also recommend grabbing Lost Nation's Gose, which LN has recently started to can. In addition, there's a Craft Beer Cellar nearby -- there's a small chance they'll have some leftover Heady. I think on my last Friday trip, I was able to grab a 4 pack at the Cold Hollow Cider place, not far from Montpelier.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips! I made a map of Friday deliveries and plan to head out early. I wish I had a companion so that I could double up at the places that have a 1 or 2 4-pack limit.

I found 12 cans of Heady Topper and 8 cans of Lawson's Sip of Sunshine. Also some other stuff I've never had.

Just arrived at Mass MOCA for Day 2. I was the beer tent's first sale of the day. They applauded me.

dude, you never got back to me.

i had to cart that Trillium back home w/ me.

I texted the number in your PM several times Friday and Saturday. Didn't you get them? I figured that you were just tied up with the festival.

I think I'm overloaded for tonight's flight home, so I'll probably have to leave some behind. Maybe I can find a homebrew store or pub where I can unload some stuff. Or I can just get really drunk in the airport parking lot...

no i never got a text from you. i texted and called you on friday when i got there but never heard anything... but you are correct in that i was pretty much tied up the entire festival. hope you had a good time!

I just checked my PM and found that I had a typo in my area code; a guy in Puerto Rico was probably very confused.

Sorry about that, I'm really mad at myself for not catching my mistake; I was really excited about trying that beer.

Thanks again for making the effort. We can try again in 2 years.

Lot's of great craft beer around the lots in Chicago during the Dead weekend. Parked next one of the 3 Floyd brothers on Friday - he didn't bring any of his beers but he cooked up a killer prime rib.

Typical going price was $5 a can. We had plenty of our own so I didn't buy any others. My first foray into craft beer was in the lots in the late 80s and early 90s. Sammy Smith's and Sierra Nevada being the most popular back than. Plus I remember Pete's Wicked Ale being around quite a bit.

• 2 weeks later...