Indiana show canceled!

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just trying to get people to take a step back and see it from a different perspective.  To the fans that lost out on the concert (even though they can attend another show), it's a big deal.  To the gay couple that has a restaurant refuse to cater their wedding (even though they can go to another restaurant), it's a big deal.

I think I would be more sympathetic if the show were in, say, Hawaii or New Zealand or some other far-flung place where other Wilco shows are not happening anywhere nearby. The fact that there are shows in several nearby cities made my sympathy factor fall pretty close to zero. I really made a strong effort to imagine how folks would feel, and in that, I included wondering what I would do in that situation. I would pick a different show with my refund.

I can see people being disappointed, but whining about it and impugning the band's decision just looks like sour grapes to me.

Most of us here do agree with their politics but not how they took a stand on this LGBT issue.  

It's over. They made their decision based on what they felt would have the most impact. You may not agree with it, but those businesses, organizations and events that pulled out of Indiana to send a statement have had gotten much faster results than donating money to LGBT organizations or encouraging fans to donate money at the show. LGBT organizations have been working against this law since it was first introduced and they've been working for equal rights in IN and across the U.S for years. YEARS. They finally get a court to decide an SSM ban is unconstitutional and we're all on the cusp of what will hopefully be a positive SCOTUS decision and what happens? They get slapped in the face with this ridiculous and spiteful law. My take on your position is that everyone should have just kept using the slow methods and wait around for some LGBT folks to suffer the humiliation of being refused service so you could see Wilco.

So I'm sorry you can't respect their decision because it means you miss a show. I'm sorry that you feel they are inconsistent in how they support causes. I'm sorry they're just a bunch of guys who are forced to make hard decisions like we all have to do once in a while. Personally, I wasn't aware that they needed to take a fan vote when it comes to band decisions otherwise I would have had something to say about no MN shows on the calendar. Am I screaming foul? No. I'm just going to suck it up and make a 2-day drive to get my fix this summer. Did I get ticked off when Nels had the chicken pox and my Duluth show was cancelled and later rescheduled for a date that hosed up my plans to attend another show? Geez! Didn't he get vaccinated for crying out loud?! 

I honestly think this whole conversation has reached the point of being disrespectful. Do you think they didn't consider how it might piss off some fans? Do you really think that they didn't weigh that against their opposition to people being discriminated against and what they saw as the most efficient way to make an impact? If they are peeking in on VC, do you honestly think that going on and on and on about being "inconvenienced" and how they should have done things differently (instead of joining in on the way that's working) is going to make them regret the decision they made? I doubt it. It's time to move on and, if you are opposed to the law like you state, use all the energy you've put into telling Wilco how they've screwed up your summer and direct it towards those who screwed up your state instead.  

Thanks Folkgirl, whomever you are.  You are completely correct.  It is time to end this now. 

There are unfortunately no words to convince folks who can't see (as my mother used to say) beyond the end of their noses. 

LouieB

It's over. They made their decision based on what they felt would have the most impact. You may not agree with it, but those businesses, organizations and events that pulled out of Indiana to send a statement have had gotten much faster results than donating money to LGBT organizations or encouraging fans to donate money at the show. LGBT organizations have been working against this law since it was first introduced and they've been working for equal rights in IN and across the U.S for years. YEARS. They finally get a court to decide an SSM ban is unconstitutional and we're all on the cusp of what will hopefully be a positive SCOTUS decision and what happens? They get slapped in the face with this ridiculous and spiteful law. My take on your position is that everyone should have just kept using the slow methods and wait around for some LGBT folks to suffer the humiliation of being refused service so you could see Wilco.

So I'm sorry you can't respect their decision because it means you miss a show. I'm sorry that you feel they are inconsistent in how they support causes. I'm sorry they're just a bunch of guys who are forced to make hard decisions like we all have to do once in a while. Personally, I wasn't aware that they needed to take a fan vote when it comes to band decisions otherwise I would have had something to say about no MN shows on the calendar. Am I screaming foul? No. I'm just going to suck it up and make a 2-day drive to get my fix this summer. Did I get ticked off when Nels had the chicken pox and my Duluth show was cancelled and later rescheduled for a date that hosed up my plans to attend another show? Geez! Didn't he get vaccinated for crying out loud?! 

I honestly think this whole conversation has reached the point of being disrespectful. Do you think they didn't consider how it might piss off some fans? Do you really think that they didn't weigh that against their opposition to people being discriminated against and what they saw as the most efficient way to make an impact? If they are peeking in on VC, do you honestly think that going on and on and on about being "inconvenienced" and how they should have done things differently (instead of joining in on the way that's working) is going to make them regret the decision they made? I doubt it. It's time to move on and, if you are opposed to the law like you state, use all the energy you've put into telling Wilco how they've screwed up your summer and direct it towards those who screwed up your state instead.  

Since you say it's over, please tell the band to contact Live Nation.  I would like my refund.

Wilco

^^^^That made me laugh.

I love the article on the techniques of concern trolls. Brings me back to studying the the tenets of good arguments (and bad ones) from college philosophy classes that I took some 30 years ago.

I feel smarter after thinking about all that stuff again, and for thinking about things like standing up for what you believe in, our roles as citizens, and the power of the marketplace. People can agree or disagree with the action taken by the band. I am glad we are having the conversation. Thanks, Wilco, for knocking over the first domino that resulted in making me think deeply.

If I had front row tickets for the Indy show, I'd be bummed, too. At the legislators who passed the law. At my fellow Indianans who elected them.

If I had front row tickets for the Indy show, I'd be bummed, too. At the legislators who passed the law. At my fellow Indianans who elected them.

And that's an issue. Legislatures, in theory, reflect the views of the majority of voters from the previous election. As I stated in a much earlier post, only 36% of Hoosiers voted in November and 53% of them voted Republican. The Indiana legislature wouldn't have passed the measure, nor would the governor have signed it, if they didn't feel that doing so would help them get reelected. I don't know how the majority of eligible Indiana voters feel about the issue, but I do know that most of them did not vote. Hopefully, regardless of the law being "clarified" or repealed, the majority of eligible Hoosiers go to the polls next election and vote all the legislators that voted in favor of the measure, and the governor, out of office.

I loved this post. Well done.

I live 40 minutes north of Indy. I haven't missed a show there in 13 years, and there's been plenty of others in the surrounding area (Cincinnati, Louisville, Bloomington, Lafayette, etc.). Am I pissed about this? Absolutely not. I'm proud that this band took a stand. 

BTW - The Iroquois Amphitheater (next night's show on the itinerary) is an absolutely gorgeous venue, my favorite smaller-sized outdoor venue in the Midwest. See you there. :-)

BTW - The Iroquois Amphitheater (next night's show on the itinerary) is an absolutely gorgeous venue, my favorite smaller-sized outdoor venue in the Midwest. See you there. :-)

I agree, and I do hope you'll let me buy you a beer!

I don't need to weigh in on the whole Indiana legislation thing, but I do want to say something about Wilco. 

This is a band who has proven their affection, respect, and concern for their fans for 20 years.   I believe any informed person would draw that conclusion, certainly any of us here for more than a few posts.  I cannot imagine that this cancellation was something that they took lightly.  If they (collectively, I assume) felt that the impact to their beloved fans was outweighed by impact they felt they could make by this statement, then good for them.  I respect that. 

This is still a band for their fans, and I've not seen anything from any of them which would convince me otherwise.

This is a band who has proven their affection, respect, and concern for their fans for 20 years. I believe any informed person would draw that conclusion, certainly any of us here for more than a few posts.

So true. Imagine how they would feel if, hypothetically, there were a Wilco fan site that constitutionally prohibited any discussion or criticism about how it's moderated, that repeatedly censored or even banned devoted fans because of their disagreements with a small handful of staff and that refused to have an open, transparent and democratic process by which site moderators and forum policies were chosen?

I love and adore the band and while certainly frustrated and slightly crushed I would understand it if they chose not to play in the socially and politically retarded state in which I reside (Texas) in order to adhere to their fundamental principles.

WILCO ‏@Wilco  · 5m5 minutes ago 
We consider the changes to Indiana's RFRA a good first step. Our May 7 show at The Murat is back on. Details: http://bit.ly/WilcoMURAT

Quoted from Facebook:

We consider the changes to Indiana’s RFRA a good first step toward creating the sort of welcoming environment we encourage everywhere, so we’re reinstating our May 7 show at The Murat, which we canceled earlier this week. To quote an Indiana University statement from yesterday, "religious liberty and equal protection under the law are both cornerstones of our democracy and they should not be in conflict with each other.” Well said, IU.
Now for the practical stuff: Tickets purchased through Ticketmaster or The Murat are still valid. If you purchased your ticket during the Wilcoworld pre-sale, you will be contacted directly regarding repurchase. If your plans have changed for whatever reason or if you no longer want to attend the show, refunds are available at your point of purchase.
We’ve been putting on shows with our neighbors in Indiana for more than 20 years and are happy to continue that at the Murat in May. We'll also donate a portion of the proceeds from this show to organizations fighting to build on the progress we hope this change makes in Indiana and beyond. More details soon.
Love, Wilco

Makes popcorn, waits for delusional people to come back and express outrage, dissatsifaction, or how these changes validate their perspective.

I've been saying that the law would be reworded and the show would go on since the beginning.

It's over.

Or is it ...

Wilco May 7 @ The Murat

We consider the changes to Indiana’s RFRA a good first step toward creating the sort of welcoming environment we encourage everywhere, so we’re reinstating our May 7 show at The Murat, which we canceled earlier this week. To quote an Indiana University statement from yesterday, "religious liberty and equal protection under the law are both cornerstones of our democracy and they should not be in conflict with each other.” Well said, IU.

Now for the practical stuff: Tickets purchased through Ticketmaster or The Murat are still valid. If you purchased your ticket during the Wilcoworld pre-sale, you will be contacted directly regarding repurchase. If your plans have changed for whatever reason or if you no longer want to attend the show, refunds are available at your point of purchase.

We’ve been putting on shows with our neighbors in Indiana for more than 20 years and are happy to continue that at the Murat in May. We'll also donate a portion of the proceeds from this show to organizations fighting to build on the progress we hope this change makes in Indiana and beyond. More details soon.

Love, Wilco

So the people complaining will still be taking the refund and not going, right?

Because it wasn't about the show, it was the bigger picture that people felt Wilco was being hypocritical and illogical in theiir decision which according to some was just for PR.

No way you guys would still go to that show, right?

So the people complaining will still be taking the refund and not going, right?

Because it wasn't about the show, it was the bigger picture that people felt Wilco was being hypocritical and illogical in theiir decision which according to some was just for PR.

No way you guys would still go to that show, right?

I never complained, I stated several times I supported their decision.  The only change is that my HRC donation came out of my wallet, not my ticket refund...and I've to go back and rebook that vacation day that I cancelled at work.  :twitchsmile

I hope the people that attend this show will show some respect for the band, and fans who there for the tunes when performing. With some of the derogatory comments made here the last few days from those directly effected, some might want to voice their opinions from the floor causing a distraction for the band and those that are there just for the music.