Indiana show canceled!

Copy and Paste from my comments in the "Facebook shit show" referenced above:

the overlap between [those would have attended the show] AND [those whose minds may be changed by the boycott] OR [legislators who would actually do anything about it] is precisely zero. 

My refund will be going straight to the Human Rights Campaign.

First, nice idea for the refund money. Second, I disagree with the first part. I think any little action like this could add to a cumulative economic impact that would cause legislators to change their mind. Time will tell.

Here is another article along the same vain as the Atlantic one, only clearer, IMO.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2015/03/30/3640374/big-lie-media-tells-indianas-new-religious-freedom-law/

Many of the existing laws were passed in the 1990s. Not that long ago, but movement on attitudes towards gay rights has been incredibly fast. I suppose Wilco could boycott other states that have similar (though not identical, and almost all for the better) laws. But part of the offense of the actions in Indiana is that it just happened. They picked this moment in history to try to stem the tide of history and now they're getting slapped in the face from every direction. Deservedly so. Sorry to IN Wilco fans, but I respect Wilco for this decision.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second, I disagree with the first part. I think any little action like this could add to a cumulative economic impact that would cause legislators to change their mind. Time will tell.

In my heart I know you're right, I guess I'm just disappointed to miss the show, but when I think of all the South African fruit I didn't eat in the 1970s and 80s, I'm reminded of how these things work.

If I had tickets, I'd be pissed. I might not be so understanding...

I'll be at Solid Sound.  Besides, Primus/Dinosaur Jr. shows were just announced across the state line in Ohio.  Booked.

All my respect, Wilco. It may only be a drop in the bucket of resistance, but enough drops are all that has ever overcome any injustice. I hope other bands, individuals and businesses will show the courage of their convictions as Wilco has.

All my respect, Wilco. It may only be a drop in the bucket of resistance, but enough drops are all that has ever overcome any injustice. I hope other bands, individuals and businesses will show the courage of their convictions as Wilco has.

YES!! Including the NCAA for this weeks upcoming Final Four basketball tournament.

I'm having so much fun reading the FB comments.

"I guess Wilco forgets what took place with the Dixie Chicks. Wilco can say goodbye to their music career as they are done now."

Goodbye, Wilco :ohwell  

Omg, I know.  I've been reading these comments for entertainment all evening.  It's amazing how many people will make a facebook comment saying "Who?" instead of googling  http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wilco.  

Also, the repetitiveness!  3 gazillion people post "lots of other states have a version of this law!" and another 3 gazillion people post "yeah, but there are some major differences that matter and here's a link."  Apparently nobody reads the link.  I also love that Wilco is listed as a "trending topic" on facebook.  When have you seen that before?

"I guess Wilco forgets what took place with the Dixie Chicks. Wilco can say goodbye to their music career as they are done now."

Just think what the backlash will be once the conservative faction on the facebook thread realizes that Loose Fur's "The Ruling Class" has Wilco connections. That might piss them off even more then the boycott. :stunned  

"And it's not silly to want to make it better.

Right?

OK, it's a little silly.

But it  feels so good.

Just give a damn, sometimes."

Jeff Tweedy, 2008 Chicago Residency

Ha! I read a bunch of them too. The best was the one that accused them of canceling due to poor tickets sales. Called it a publicity stunt. Hilarious.

I honestly do feel bad for all the fans who are taking the hit on this, but I think it's definitely the right thing to do.

Cancel your Cincinnati date too/ We don't want your closed minded bigotry here.

GOD BLESS MIKE PENCE

I was wondering when all the trolls would take the time to find this hallowed site! This one even took the time to look at the tour schedule! :headbonk

Wow...facebook is an absolute shit show at the moment. Not only on Wilco's post , but on pretty much every related news post. Good on them, but I hope they realize what they just got themselves involved in.

Yep - Jeff and the boys are going to very upset about alienating homophobes and other hate-mongers. :stunned

I'm enjoying the Facebook and Twitter backlash. Some real gems there.  Most along the lines of 'who is this Wilco guy anyway?'.

The ones who get me are the ones who bring up Clinton signing an identical law back in... well, if it's the same law, then why would Indiana feel the need to pass the law again on a state level?  The answer is because its not the same law and it has been written specifically to discriminate.

I love that Wilco did this.

The bottom line is that it absolutely is unfortunate for the Wilco fans in Indiana that this happened. And it certainly isn't all their fault that their governor is like this. It is a case however of the bigger picture mattering. Will Wilco cancelling their show in and of itself change anything? No, however it can lead to bigger and more statements like this being made, which could have an impact.

Wilco shows are a great time and they are one of my absolute favorite bands. This is bigger than Wilco though, and I fully support them making a statement like this.

Seems the law as previously enacted in other states was intended to protect religious minorities, such as Native Americans who use peyote. That is a good thing. But in Indiana it certainly seems they passed it to allow Christians to discriminate against gays, as supporters of the law have actually said it will do. And Pence has done nothing to disavow this notion. 

Here is a pretty good explanation: http://t.co/2fqxqpBW7D