Indiana show canceled!

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, grammys tell us who makes the best music and Indiana's conservative legislators have no problem with LGBQ folks. Looks like you've got it figured out. We'll miss you over here with our crappy band and our misguided queer agenda. Good luck!

Yes, grammys tell us who makes the best music and Indiana's conservative legislators have no problem with LGBQ folks. Looks like you've got it figured out. We'll miss you over here with our crappy band and our misguided queer agenda. Good luck!

read post #17, sarcasm much?  glad to get under your skin.  Now you know how unhappy we are about them cancelling our local show and punishing liberal fans that are the minority in this state.  I've spent shit tones of money, traveling all over, to see these guys play Jesus Etc one more time all the while they finally announce a local show and cancel it!  GOOD NEWS EVERYONE, the world is much bigger than Wilco.  My Morning Jacket just released another song off their forthcoming album.

I love it. I wish more artists would take a stand. Remember the artist boycott of Sun City? It certainly helped to raise awareness about apartheid. I wish the NCAA would show some balls, too.

I'm all for the NCAA, Gen Con, Angie's List + many city / states not paying for travel to Indiana.  That is REAL MONEY.  2,500 seats at $60 or $150,000 in ticket sales, of which Indianapolis does not receive a ticket tax and Live Nation is paying a guarantee, is SQUAT.  For possible the first time ever, Wilco has 5K comments on a Facebook post and a few national news pieces have picked up the story, all the while a large percentage of people are going, who's Wilco.  The ONLY losses here were the fans and local restaurants in the area that were hoping for a better than average night. Since the band and management have decided to continue business with many states and companies that many of us and them do not believe in, I ask, what is the point?

The point is awareness. The point is hopefully the start of a groundswell of others--artists, sports teams, corporations, you name it--who will see this as the right thing to do, to have the courage of your convictions. The point is NOT to screw fans out of a concert in their hometown.

Political action can be a little bit painful in the short term to some people, but it's the greater good that's at stake here, not a few fans being inconvenienced.

I would be very disappointed if I had bought tickets and this happened, but it would be a personal disappointment that would be far outweighed by my feeling of pride in being a fan of such a courageous band.

I think the band would have had a greater impact by playing the show and donating their pay to whatever cause(s) are fighting the new law. Hell, set up voter registration booths at the venue and have political opponents speak. Print up special T-shirts lampooning the governor. Incorporate it into the official show poster and plaster them all over town. 

I'm sure the band will do something to make it up to the fans, but right now it looks like they're punishing the fans in Indiana, and I doubt more than 1% of them voted for the governor or approve of the law.

Well they've certainly added attention to the cause.

The point is awareness. The point is hopefully the start of a groundswell of others--artists, sports teams, corporations, you name it--who will see this as the right thing to do, to have the courage of your convictions. The point is NOT to screw fans out of a concert in their hometown.

Political action can be a little bit painful in the short term to some people, but it's the greater good that's at stake here, not a few fans being inconvenienced.

I would be very disappointed if I had bought tickets and this happened, but it would be a personal disappointment that would be far outweighed by my feeling of pride in being a fan of such a courageous band.

Gen Con was the first to come out against this.  They bring 50 million dollars to the table each year and are to close to re-negotiating a deal past the 5 year contract up in 2020.  The NCAA is located here and brings shit tons of money to the state and local economy each year, probably more than Gen Con since we all know how important sports are to everyone.  Angie's List is in the process of expanding, albeit through tax incentives.  If the band really wanted to make a point, they could have announced they were donating that HUGE $150K, they decided to pass on, to ANY organization against discrimination and or ANYONE willing to fight this, instead they chose to hurt the fans.  

After a night of thinking about this, I decided it's my fault for choosing to get to closer to a band than is needed.  I've have some very special memories with Jeff and this band and I've always strayed away from this in the past and I've learned my lesson here.  Since this was very specific "Hope to get back to the Hoosier State someday soon, when this odious measure is repealed" My guess is I will never see them again.  They drew the line in the sand with Indiana so I draw my line back.

I think the band would have had a greater impact by playing the show and donating their pay to whatever cause(s) are fighting the new law. Hell, set up voter registration booths at the venue and have political opponents speak. Print up special T-shirts lampooning the governor. Incorporate it into the official show poster and plaster them all over town. 

I'm sure the band will do something to make it up to the fans, but right now it looks like they're punishing the fans in Indiana, and I doubt more than 1% of them voted for the governor or approve of the law.

I don't begrudge Wilco being against the law and wanting to make a point, I respect that, but I agree with Hixter. They could likely have had a greater impact by doing the things Hixter mentioned, along with some others. They could highlight how less than 36% of Hoosiers voted in November and 53% of those voted Republican. It is up to the Indiana citizens to change this law specifically and their government in general. Radio interviews, speaker(s) on stage, etc. highlighting how Wilco fans and other good Hoosiers need to get involved and make their voices heard. 

Again, I don't condemn Wilco at all but I do believe that they could have found a more balanced approach. I was born in Indiana and have family there.

This story was on msnbc, pitchfork, av club, chicago tribune, time, and variety. The work has already been done.

If the choice between a drive to Cincinnati, Louisville, Chicago, or not seeing Wilco for many months is punishment, you've lead a charmed life.

Gen Con was the first to come out against this.  They bring 50 million dollars to the table each year and are to close to re-negotiating a deal past the 5 year contract up in 2020.  The NCAA is located here and brings shit tons of money to the state and local economy each year, probably more than Gen Con since we all know how important sports are to everyone.  Angie's List is in the process of expanding, albeit through tax incentives.  If the band really wanted to make a point, they could have announced they were donating that HUGE $150K, they decided to pass on, to ANY organization against discrimination and or ANYONE willing to fight this, instead they chose to hurt the fans.  

After a night of thinking about this, I decided it's my fault for choosing to get to closer to a band than is needed.  I've have some very special memories with Jeff and this band and I've always strayed away from this in the past and I've learned my lesson here.  Since this was very specific "Hope to get back to the Hoosier State someday soon, when this odious measure is repealed" My guess is I will never see them again.  They drew the line in the sand with Indiana so I draw my line back.

You are right in deciding this was your fault. Issues.

This story was on msnbc, pitchfork, av club, chicago tribune, time, and variety. The work has already been done.

If the choice between a drive to Cincinnati, Louisville, Chicago, or not seeing Wilco for many months is punishment, you've lead a charmed life.

The work has already been done, yea, look at all the comments on each one of these sites and you will see "Who's Wilco".  All the while, friends that I have tried to get into this band for years finally go, " O I hear that Wilco thing, good for them"  Big loss to the city.

Ditty,

I have a question. As an Indiana resident, are you in as much of a lather about the law as you are about the canceled show?

My view on all this, as posted in all the shit storm on FB yesterday, in response to some similar comments here that little Wilco and a single concert doesn't matter so why cancel:

"Good for Wilco! Sucks for the Wilco fans who had tickets, but a bunch of little political protest statements start adding up. The state of Connecticut passed a law banning government employees from going to Indiana. Who bears the brunt of that? Hotels, restaurants, cabbies, etc. But then they start speaking out and some momentum for change gets built, a little at a time. Whether it's "musical" or "political", the members of Wilco have a right to express themselves and not contribute to the finances of a state that supports discrimination. Proud to be a Wilco fan."

Ditty,

I have a question. Are you in as much of a lather about the law as you are about the canceled show?

I have been against it since the beginning.  I have voted every election since I was 18, primaries and all.  Politics and politicians are CROOKS.  EACH AND EVERYONE ONE OF THEM.  They all have self interest in mind, period.  My rant is against Wilco thinking they can pick and choose.  CANCEL ALL THE DATES, IN ALL THESE ASS BACKWARD STATES.  Then they are making a point.

I'm all for the NCAA, Gen Con, Angie's List + many city / states not paying for travel to Indiana.  That is REAL MONEY.  2,500 seats at $60 or $150,000 in ticket sales, of which Indianapolis does not receive a ticket tax and Live Nation is paying a guarantee, is SQUAT.  For possible the first time ever, Wilco has 5K comments on a Facebook post and a few national news pieces have picked up the story, all the while a large percentage of people are going, who's Wilco.  The ONLY losses here were the fans and local restaurants in the area that were hoping for a better than average night. Since the band and management have decided to continue business with many states and companies that many of us and them do not believe in, I ask, what is the point?

Do you recycle?

So you see the conversation is the point, not the revenue, or fans' hurt feelings. It's not really about Wilco, or you. People are talking about the law. Success.

Yes those 5K comments sure are big numbers, WOW.  Just imagine all the talk of the show and speaking about it each night from the stage, 4/22 thru 5/9 would have made.  Meanwhile the board has 11 members signed in today and the usual high single digits lurking!